Thread: The Defense - Again, the Defense :(

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    What we saw against the Bears was a microcosm of what we should have been seeing for the past 2-3 years - and with the beefier DL we had in those years we could have used them in an effective rotation depending on opponent. Against run heavy teams like SF and Minnesota? go to a heavier 3-4; against the New Englands and Denvers of the world, rotate the smaller quicker guys.

The one thing that should never be done is abandon the middle of the field and simply concede the run - which is what dunderdummy has been doing forever.

Against the Bears, dunderdummy lined up primarily in the Elephant as his base - but it was the personnel and where they were playing that made it effective. Perry was playing elephant - at least in most of the snaps I saw (I wasn't able to watch every snap unfortunately), and Matthews was playing ILB - something I've suggested several times only to have PackerRat Nation scream HERESY!!!!

I assume MM and TT sat dunderdummy down and explained the facts of defense to that idiot, and they used the bye week to adjust - should have been done 2 years ago, if not before that!!!

We'll see if this was just a 1 week fart in the wind, or if MM and TT have demanded changes and enforced the law. If the changes stick, I think we can see an improvement to at least a 10-15 defensive ranking, and that might be enough to launch us back into contender status.

I would never have thought I'd see dunderdummy forced into making the necessary adjustments, but the Chicago game has given me hope.

We'll see.
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    What we saw against the Bears was a microcosm of what we should have been seeing for the past 2-3 years - and with the beefier DL we had in those years we could have used them in an effective rotation depending on opponent. Against run heavy teams like SF and Minnesota? go to a heavier 3-4; against the New Englands and Denvers of the world, rotate the smaller quicker guys.

The one thing that should never be done is abandon the middle of the field and simply concede the run - which is what dunderdummy has been doing forever.

Against the Bears, dunderdummy lined up primarily in the Elephant as his base - but it was the personnel and where they were playing that made it effective. Perry was playing elephant - at least in most of the snaps I saw (I wasn't able to watch every snap unfortunately), and Matthews was playing ILB - something I've suggested several times only to have PackerRat Nation scream HERESY!!!!

I assume MM and TT sat dunderdummy down and explained the facts of defense to that idiot, and they used the bye week to adjust - should have been done 2 years ago, if not before that!!!

We'll see if this was just a 1 week fart in the wind, or if MM and TT have demanded changes and enforced the law. If the changes stick, I think we can see an improvement to at least a 10-15 defensive ranking, and that might be enough to launch us back into contender status.

I would never have thought I'd see dunderdummy forced into making the necessary adjustments, but the Chicago game has given me hope.

We'll see.
    I think it goes back to MM's PC after the New Orleans game. He said " We need to tackle damn ball carrier and get him on the ground". Her sounded like he had finally had enough. Hopefully he doesn't relent because it was great seeing an ILB knocking people off their feet.

We'll see.
    They played one down of 3-4 according to McGinn and according to Wilde, Matthews was not playing the 4-3 Quad they displayed earlier this year (he labeled it abandoned).

You saw the 2-4-5 nickel in action all night. Daniels and a rotation of Boyd/Guion/Jones.

The only additional beef was Perry instead of Jones/Lattimore/Barrington.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    They played one down of 3-4 according to McGinn and according to Wilde, Matthews was not playing the 4-3 Quad they displayed earlier this year (he labeled it abandoned).

You saw the 2-4-5 nickel in action all night. Daniels and a rotation of Boyd/Guion/Jones.

The only additional beef was Perry instead of Jones/Lattimore/Barrington.
    So maybe it's not scheme at all, it's talent? That sounds like crazy talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    So maybe it's not scheme at all, it's talent? That sounds like crazy talk.
    Maybe it's not scheme or talent, but talent utilization. It seems it took them half a season to figure out that Matthews could be a better ILB than LBJ (Lattimore/Barrington/Jones).

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Matthews was playing ILB - something I've suggested several times only to have PackerRat Nation scream HERESY!!!!
    No you didn't. You've been harping on that the scheme is unsound all along.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    No you didn't. You've been harping on that the scheme is unsound all along.
    Yes I did - and I used Matthews blitz against Philadelphia in the playoff game in which he sacked Vick as an example. That blitz took place out of a 2-4, and Capers sent 6 guys.
    wist