Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: The Defense - Again, the Defense :(

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    http://theadvocate.com/sports/saints...are-proof-that

Good read from the link above. I've gotten into reading about how to stop the run from the nickel, since the nickel is accounting for more and more snaps league-wide. Nice shout out to Fritz Shurmur in the article (or Fitz if you notice the typo). This article has a New Orleans slant, but still talks about the trend league-wide. I have a question. Is the difference between Nickel and Dime always the third safety in place of a linebacker? The article mentioned Big Nickel where the safety replaces a linebacker so you not only have coverage but run support. Do the Packers ever do Nickel where they take Hawk out and substitute another safety? Richardson might be good for that role if that was the case. People here have long disparaged Hawk's coverage ability, so who would you rather have on the field when you are betting on pass, but still wanting to stop the run?
    I think the Packers go more with the Burnett, Clinton-Dix, Hyde rotation. Hyde seems to be more CB than S to me.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

http://theadvocate.com/sports/saints...are-proof-that

Good read from the link above. I've gotten into reading about how to stop the run from the nickel, since the nickel is accounting for more and more snaps league-wide. Nice shout out to Fritz Shurmur in the article (or Fitz if you notice the typo). This article has a New Orleans slant, but still talks about the trend league-wide. I have a question. Is the difference between Nickel and Dime always the third safety in place of a linebacker? The article mentioned Big Nickel where the safety replaces a linebacker so you not only have coverage but run support. Do the Packers ever do Nickel where they take Hawk out and substitute another safety? Richardson might be good for that role if that was the case. People here have long disparaged Hawk's coverage ability, so who would you rather have on the field when you are betting on pass, but still wanting to stop the run?
    To me this might be an intriguing possibility. I'm not suggesting Richardson play linebacker, but that he play as an extra safety - but perhaps closer to the LOS. He could cover tight ends but still be around the LOS in case of a run, as in a third-and-four situation.

I wonder if this is realistic.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Do the Packers ever do Nickel where they take Hawk out and substitute another safety?
    Hawk has played almost every snap this year, so not yet. I think we have the personnel to run Big Nickel. San Fran was projected to use the Big Nickel as their quasi base defense--with Jimmie Ward as the third safety. Similar to Hyde in that he's kind of a S/CB tweener.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    One of the most interesting things said in the article I linked in my previous post is this:

“The question is how are you deploying fronts in nickel?” Saints coach Sean Payton said. “You can get in some heavy run fronts in nickel, favorable defending the run and challenging defending the pass. It’s not just defending the nickel. It’s what’s the front and coverage you’re playing within it?”

The first thing I thought of when I read this is how Wist gives Capers a hard time about conceding the middle of the field. Would you say the Packers ran a "heavy front" (to quote Payton's term above) against the Vikings (or maybe a heavier front)?
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

One of the most interesting things said in the article I linked in my previous post is this:

“The question is how are you deploying fronts in nickel?” Saints coach Sean Payton said. “You can get in some heavy run fronts in nickel, favorable defending the run and challenging defending the pass. It’s not just defending the nickel. It’s what’s the front and coverage you’re playing within it?”

The first thing I thought of when I read this is how Wist gives Capers a hard time about conceding the middle of the field. Would you say the Packers ran a "heavy front" (to quote Payton's term above) against the Vikings (or maybe a heavier front)?
    Capers is very dependent on down and distance when determining whether to play heavy as Payton uses the term here. If the tendency is to pass, whether its 3rd and 11 or 3rd and 4, he might go six in the box in either case.

But they can go heavy, as they did against the Seachickens and the Jets. That's when you see Guion and Boyd instead of Daniels and Jones. The OLBs/DE can squeeze inside too.

One thing I read this week said the Packers, despite Peterson's absence, spent the majority of the game in Oakie, with very few 4-3 snaps.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    One thing I read this week said the Packers, despite Peterson's absence, spent the majority of the game in Oakie, with very few 4-3 snaps.
    So basically, traditional base 3-4?
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

I thought the Okie was the giant guys, three of them, on the line. Does GB even have three giant guys any more?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I thought the Okie was the giant guys, three of them, on the line. Does GB even have three giant guys any more?
    Guion is big enough to be a NT but it doesn't seem to be his best position. Jones is a 3-4 end. They still run it; Daniels is the odd fit.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Dom's unit comes though again with a dominating outing against the Panthers. I'm starting to come back around to him as the defense has been stellar.

In the last 23 quarters (since the 2nd quarter of the Jets game) the defense has given up 88 prs, that's 15.3/game.

Either way you slice it, that's good defense overy the last 6 games. That's not a mirage.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    Dom's unit comes though again with a dominating outing against the Panthers. I'm starting to come back around to him as the defense has been stellar.

In the last 23 quarters (since the 2nd quarter of the Jets game) the defense has given up 88 prs, that's 15.3/game.

Either way you slice it, that's good defense overy the last 6 games. That's not a mirage.
    Their secondary is as good as there is in the NFL. When the defense does a good job against the run, they can be dominant. They've sometimes been able, even when they don't stop the run, to keep the points down. However, in those cases, not being able to get off the field has kept the Packers offense off the field. The best thing is that this defense is getting better as the season goes on.

Some of the young talent picked in the last few years is starting to pay off. Nick Perry is starting to look like a decent player. We have considerable depth in the secondary. If Clay can ever get back to 100%, this defense is plenty stout considering our offense...which is only going to get better as it gets colder because Lacy is going to be more effective in the elements, and I think the coaches are finally realizing they need to give Starks the ball too. That will keep both of them fresh into December.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

I am still concerned with the lack of stoutness on the defensive line. What will happen when a team with a good offensive line decides to run the ball through the middle? How will NASCAR help then?

KYPack

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I am still concerned with the lack of stoutness on the defensive line. What will happen when a team with a good offensive line decides to run the ball through the middle? How will NASCAR help then?
    Those teams are going to get more Pyrrhic victories than actual victories. That's bringing a knife to a gun fight.

But even in those cases good safety play has made it viable to play 8 in the box when its called for. In the most obvious of the obvious of run situations, 3rd or 4th and very short, I think the defense has been a pleasant surprise. Seems like most of those have gone our way.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

I read it was used just 5 times, all in obvious passing situations on 3rd down. Carolina was 1 for 5 converting.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Don't look now but the defense is T10 in PPG allowed
    Go PACK

Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
    SSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

NASCAR was for running QBs, not designated run plays at run down and distance.

And they gave up ~21 points in garbage time.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    The defense has been even better than their ranking. They've played an entire game of garbage time at this point.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Blog Entries

Wist will be here anytime to sing the praises of Dom
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?