Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: The Defense - Again, the Defense :(

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    Perhaps this is something Dom has wanted to do for a while; I'm surprised everybody is on the domderdummy wagon. I think this move was Domgenius and he should be getting a ton of credit for this. It's no secret MM doesn't exactly embrace change easily.

Well, before we send him a cake, let's be honest and recognize that M3 will always try to pick up and defend his guys. The postmortems after the season might tell us more about the actual genesis of the idea. We have bandied about the idea of moving Matthews inside on this board before, so I can see it being something launched in the offseason more easily than a idea born of panic. I do think panic helped launch the idea into the game plan for the Bears after the bye week though.

Also to repeat myself, I think M3's stubbornness in this area is a strength overall. There is a reason his teams don't run in emotional hills and valleys every week and why young players (and the team) get better as the season progresses. McCarthy has a pretty steady hand on the (Joe) Tiller.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    Perhaps this is something Dom has wanted to do for a while; I'm surprised everybody is on the domderdummy wagon. I think this move was Domgenius and he should be getting a ton of credit for this. It's no secret MM doesn't exactly embrace change easily.
    McCarthy sounded pretty exasperated after the New Orleans game, and I suspect he let the defensive coaches know the status quo wasn't acceptable. His comment " We need to tackle the damn ball carrier and get him on the ground. That's what we'll be focused on" was, I think an insistence things had to change. Capers may have come up with the plan, (that's his job) but I don't think McCarthy needed to be dragged kicking and screaming to accept a change. I think he was insisting on it.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    However, the question still being begged by this alignment: can Matthews play ILB when the 49ers send Iupati at him? McGinn noted Matthews ran around a few blocks (which he can do better than most because he might be The Flash). Baranczyk noted his footwork was all over the place (again, less of an issue if you have his takeoff speed). So an evaluation won't be finished until teams get to scout him and run right at him.
    It's one thing when you're up big on a struggling team and they have to pass more than run to try and come back. What does it look like when you are in a close game and the other team is still running the ball through the middle of the field?

The Packers formula for winning for the most part has been to get up big on offense and get the catch-up version of the other team's offense. The two close games that the Packers eventually won by comeback were vs. the Jets and @Miami. Of the games that they've lost, in only one did the defense outplay the offense (@Lions). In the other two losses, @Seattle and @New Orleans, the defense couldn't stop the run, and got hit for big plays, and the offense struggled with consistency.

It seems like it's either really good or really bad. At 6-3, they are in a decent position. It's just interesting to note the trends of the wins and losses.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    It's one thing when you're up big on a struggling team and they have to pass more than run to try and come back. What does it look like when you are in a close game and the other team is still running the ball through the middle of the field?

It seems like it's either really good or really bad. At 6-3, they are in a decent position. It's just interesting to note the trends of the wins and losses.
    It's been a strange season. 6 wins by an average of 21 points. 3 losses by an average of 18. Games coming up with Philly and New England will be a test of whether the defense can play well enough to make this team a Super Bowl contender.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post

The Packers formula for winning for the most part has been to get up big on offense and get the catch-up version of the other team's offense. The two close games that the Packers eventually won by comeback were vs. the Jets and @Miami. Of the games that they've lost, in only one did the defense outplay the offense (@Lions). In the other two losses, @Seattle and @New Orleans, the defense couldn't stop the run, and got hit for big plays, and the offense struggled with consistency.

The run D was a big problem in both games you highlight (Sea, NO) but I am not sure the run defense will setup a win (maybe Detroit?) this year. However, they just need to be mediocre if the Offense can figure out tough defenses and get points on the board (SEA, Det) or keep the QB healthy (NO).

So I still say the pass blocking by the O line is more important that run Defense rank right now. They pass block, the O will help the D's run defense more than the Packers can shore it up this year.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    The only thing new about this is that Matthews didn't suck. We worked him at ILB in the first game of the season and it didn't look like such a genius move back then.

I was pleased that Matthews still got some edge rushing snaps and got himself a sack. He's still paid like a star pass rusher and it'll be tough for him to earn his check in a different role.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    The run D was a big problem in both games you highlight (Sea, NO) but I am not sure the run defense will setup a win (maybe Detroit?) this year. However, they just need to be mediocre if the Offense can figure out tough defenses and get points on the board (SEA, Det) or keep the QB healthy (NO).

So I still say the pass blocking by the O line is more important that run Defense rank right now. They pass block, the O will help the D's run defense more than the Packers can shore it up this year.
    Especially on away games. It seems like a different OL at home these days.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

I agree trading the healthy version of Perry for Lattimore/Barrinton was a talent upgrade. Not as good as a D lineman with his hand in the dirt of course, but better none-the-less ....

However, the question still being begged by this alignment: can Matthews play ILB when the 49ers send Iupati at him? McGinn noted Matthews ran around a few blocks (which he can do better than most because he might be The Flash). Baranczyk noted his footwork was all over the place (again, less of an issue if you have his takeoff speed). So an evaluation won't be finished until teams get to scout him and run right at him.

The bonus, regardless, is that he will help Hawk immensely.

Also noted by the GBPG, Capers, after having his lineman hold gaps against the Bears in the first game, had them moving and stunting this game. That helps Boyd who also has a quick takeoff.
    Maybe he will be exposed, bu knowing this is another option is still a positive. It is not like he couldn't be moved back outside.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    Matthews was playing ILB - something I've suggested several times only to have PackerRat Nation scream HERESY!!!!
    No you didn't. You've been harping on that the scheme is unsound all along.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    The only thing new about this is that Matthews didn't suck. We worked him at ILB in the first game of the season and it didn't look like such a genius move back then.

I was pleased that Matthews still got some edge rushing snaps and got himself a sack. He's still paid like a star pass rusher and it'll be tough for him to earn his check in a different role.
    We do need to see more. He can also earn that paycheck by blitzing up the middle, something he has been good at while stunting from OLB.

However, if Wilde is to be trusted (and he isn't usually Captain XandO) then previously Matthews was a WILL in a 4-3 alignment (Quad). So his current job is different as a ILB in a 3-4 (I assume he is likely to play ILB in base).

You guys are so fickle... I suggest these things in days gone by and you literally scream heresy, and then go on to say that what Dom has been doing is the only way - if only the players would execute his brilliant gameplans!!!

'If Matthews is in the middle, who is going to rush on the outside'?? To you guys a nonstarter...

'If we're not in the 2-4, how can we possibly defend the pass'?? Any other alignment is ludicrous...

'If you remove one of the ILB's for Perry or Jones, who will cover the TE/RB'?? Nuts, insane, crazy...

'Lining up in base 3-4 against 3 wides is suicide'!!! Anyone who would suggest such a thing is a neophyte...

--------------------------------------------------------

So now dunderdummy makes some necessary, and IMO obvious, changes - and he's STILL a genius??

Good grief
    wist

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Well you are an unpaid, 72 year old, cabin living, tin hat wearing, doomsday Cultist and Dom is a Multimillionaire Coach in the NFL so yea he is a genius
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Oday View Post
    Well you are an unpaid, 72 year old, cabin living, tin hat wearing, doomsday Cultist and Dom is a Multimillionaire Coach in the NFL so yea he is a genius
    The hat is aluminum foil...thank you very much

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    The hat is aluminum foil...thank you very much
    lol nice. Obviously it was a joke Wist so don't get too mad!
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post

If the move helps them win another ring, he won't have problems getting paid.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    You guys are so fickle... I suggest these things in days gone by and you literally scream heresy, and then go on to say that what Dom has been doing is the only way - if only the players would execute his brilliant gameplans!!!

'If Matthews is in the middle, who is going to rush on the outside'?? To you guys a nonstarter...

'If we're not in the 2-4, how can we possibly defend the pass'?? Any other alignment is ludicrous...

'If you remove one of the ILB's for Perry or Jones, who will cover the TE/RB'?? Nuts, insane, crazy...

'Lining up in base 3-4 against 3 wides is suicide'!!! Anyone who would suggest such a thing is a neophyte...

--------------------------------------------------------

So now dunderdummy makes some necessary, and IMO obvious, changes - and he's STILL a genius??

Good grief
    Except they didn't go 3-4. They played 1 snap of 3-4, that's it.

They still played 2-4-5...your dreaded "Capers is a dumbass and has no interest in stopping the run" defense. You act like Capers scrapped the entire scheme and finally loaded the line up with DL when that's not what they did at all.
    Go PACK

The 4 new wrinkles were as follows...
    1. Perry at OLB. He won't chase down runs from the backside like CM3 does but he is stronger at the point
    2. CM3 at ILB...no explanation needed
    3. Hyde played more at nickel.....better playing the run then either Hayward or Tramon (Tramon slides to nickel when House is 3rd cb)
    4. DL did more slanting and stunting
    Go PACK

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    No you didn't. You've been harping on that the scheme is unsound all along.
    Yes I did - and I used Matthews blitz against Philadelphia in the playoff game in which he sacked Vick as an example. That blitz took place out of a 2-4, and Capers sent 6 guys.
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
    Except they didn't go 3-4. They played 1 snap of 3-4, that's it.

They still played 2-4-5...your dreaded "Capers is a dumbass and has no interest in stopping the run" defense. You act like Capers scrapped the entire scheme and finally loaded the line up with DL when that's not what they did at all.
    He played SOME 2-4, but not in either/or situations - and he played an Elephant base, which is essentially a 3-4 - with I might add, personnel that I have been calling for in place of of the putrid ILB combos they've been going with for the last few years.

As I've said, you can play 2-4 once in a while as a subpackage, but I would only do it with personnel other than the way he had been running it, i.e. get one of those slug ILB's off the field, get more size into the front, and rush from everywhere/anywhere - which is what he did against the Bears.

Capers essentially did much of what I've been calling for for a long time now, substituting Elephant for the 3-4, which I don't have that much of a problem with. I do have a problem with their letting the fat guys go, and I think that will hurt us against run heavy teams, but at least what they showed against the Bears is a major step in the right direction.
    wist

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Interesting...
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston