Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: The Defense - Again, the Defense :(

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
    The 4 new wrinkles were as follows...
    1. Perry at OLB. He won't chase down runs from the backside like CM3 does but he is stronger at the point
    2. CM3 at ILB...no explanation needed
    3. Hyde played more at nickel.....better playing the run then either Hayward or Tramon (Tramon slides to nickel when House is 3rd cb)
    4. DL did more slanting and stunting
    Thx Boss. I was trying to remember the adjustments & you did the job listing 'em here. On pt 3, you mean Tramon covers the slot in nickel, right? that's getting to be the new move. Put your best coverman on the slot guy and eliminate the slants and sluggo's.

Wist I gotta get on your ass some. Capers isn't a ninny or a boob. He's a man trying to run a stable and he doesn't have all the horses. DC the DC did a masterful job in putting together the D gameplan for the Bears. Before we all break our arms patting ol Don on the back, it needs to be noted that we moved from 32 in the NFL vs the run to 30th. That still ain't gonna hack the program, passing league or not.

Claymat to ILB looks good, but you are still putting a guy in a position we should already have covered, but we don't. That chase ILB spot is well-suited to Clay, but you are still asking a thorobred to pull a milk wagon. Matthews is a great OLB, he will get dinged if we play him inside. Those ILB's have guys coming at them at all angles.

Tramontana stayed outside actually. Hyde got the call as the nickel corner and played the slot. For run support and occasional assignment on Bennett.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    Thx Boss. I was trying to remember the adjustments & you did the job listing 'em here. On pt 3, you mean Tramon covers the slot in nickel, right? that's getting to be the new move. Put your best coverman on the slot guy and eliminate the slants and sluggo's.

Wist I gotta get on your ass some. Capers isn't a ninny or a boob. He's a man trying to run a stable and he doesn't have all the horses. DC the DC did a masterful job in putting together the D gameplan for the Bears. Before we all break our arms patting ol Don on the back, it needs to be noted that we moved from 32 in the NFL vs the run to 30th. That still ain't gonna hack the program, passing league or not.

Claymat to ILB looks good, but you are still putting a guy in a position we should already have covered, but we don't. That chase ILB spot is well-suited to Clay, but you are still asking a thorobred to pull a milk wagon. Matthews is a great OLB, he will get dinged if we play him inside. Those ILB's have guys coming at them at all angles.
    Sorry KY, but Dom is a ninny and a boob!!! lol...

As I said, what we saw on Sunday is in large measure a healthy dose of what I've been calling for forever...

Yes he ran some 2-4, but not that idiotic "jumbo 2-4" (not that that is an option now that they've jettisoned all the fat guys), and not in "either/or" situations. He ran the 2-4 as a subpackage, and in primarily pass-pass situations.

Given our personnel, I would still prefer running a 3-3, but given the personnel he had on the field, I view it as a gigantic step in the right direction.

In short, all dunderdummy did was utilize the personnel he has available to him much more effectively - it only took him 3 years to figure it out - or rather, it only took 3 years for MM and TT to pressure him to use them correctly. Any which way, what we saw was a flash of what our defense might could be - which is slightly better than average over the long haul, as opposed to last in run defense and getting repeatedly embarrassed.

We're going to struggle against the run to some extent - but there's no reason we can't be a top 1/2 defense, and that should be enough to give us a legitimate punchers chance.
    wist

Dom looked pretty awesome for this one game. Let's see how he goes against the Eagles - a team in a groove - instead of the Bears (falling apart like Okonkwo).

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post

Previously, depending on whether Hayward or House were playing nickel, the slot CB would be Hayward or Williams (moves to slot when House plays).
    On Sunday, Capers played Hyde as the nickel and kept Williams outside to have a better run defender in there.
    Go PACK

Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
    Previously, depending on whether Hayward or House were playing nickel, the slot CB would be Hayward or Williams (moves to slot when House plays).
    On Sunday, Capers played Hyde as the nickel and kept Williams outside to have a better run defender in there.
    Hayward played 46% of defensive snaps. Did they play a lot of dime, or was he getting nickel snaps in garbage time?

Player Team Position Started Total Snaps Off Snaps Off Snap Pct Def Snaps Def Snap Pct ST Snaps ST Snap Pct
    21-H.Clinton-Dix GB DB YES 72 0 0.0% 70 100. 2 6.0%
    24-J.Bush GB DB NO 22 0 0.0% 0 0.0% 22 69.0
    28-S.Richardson GB DB NO 44 0 0.0% 21 30.0 23 72.0
    29-C.Hayward GB DB NO 44 0 0.0% 32 46.0 12 38.0
    31-D.House GB DB NO 32 0 0.0% 21 30.0 11 34.0
    33-M.Hyde GB DB YES 71 0 0.0% 55 79.0 16 50.0
    37-S.Shields GB DB YES 63 0 0.0% 60 86.0 3 9.0%
    38-T.Williams GB DB YES 52 0 0.0% 52 74.0 0 0.0%
    39-D.Goodson GB DB NO 0 0 0.0% 0 0.0% 0 0.0%
    42-M.Burnett GB DB YES 48 0 0.0% 48 69.0 0 0.0%

I don't think Clay should become an ILB on a permanent basis - but I want to see it mixed up. He is a player that needs to be accounted for, so where he lines up requires adjustments by the OL in their blocking assignments. It creates opportunities for blown assignments and miscommunication by the OL.

Beyond that, of course you are getting one of the slug ILB's off the field, and replacing him with either Perry or Neal. Whether you are in a base or nickel, it gives us more size and power up front - something we have been sorely lacking, especially after ousting all the fat guys.

Given our personnel, dunderdummy needs ensure we are sound up the middle, and scheme to create mismatches along the OL - what he did against the Bears accomplished that. If he simply reverts back to his static alignments with the slug ILB's on the field 24/7, then they have learned nothing - on the other hand, if they have truly seen the light, then I think we have the makings of a functional and effective defense; maybe not a dominant one, but at least a competetive one.
    wist

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    I don't think Clay should become an ILB on a permanent basis - but I want to see it mixed up. He is a player that needs to be accounted for, so where he lines up requires adjustments by the OL in their blocking assignments. It creates opportunities for blown assignments and miscommunication by the OL.

Beyond that, of course you are getting one of the slug ILB's off the field, and replacing him with either Perry or Neal. Whether you are in a base or nickel, it gives us more size and power up front - something we have been sorely lacking, especially after ousting all the fat guys.

Given our personnel, dunderdummy needs ensure we are sound up the middle, and scheme to create mismatches along the OL - what he did against the Bears accomplished that. If he simply reverts back to his static alignments with the slug ILB's on the field 24/7, then they have learned nothing - on the other hand, if they have truly seen the light, then I think we have the makings of a functional and effective defense; maybe not a dominant one, but at least a competetive one.
    I think he's trying to get the most effective defensive players on the field at the same time, and is showing that he's willing to make adjustments not only based on personnel, but based on how certain personnel plays together; like mixing line mates in hockey, I guess.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    I think he's trying to get the most effective defensive players on the field at the same time, and is showing that he's willing to make adjustments not only based on personnel, but based on how certain personnel plays together; like mixing line mates in hockey, I guess.
    Get 11 of your most talented guys on the field at the same time and let them play. Substitute here and there to keep them fresh.

Wholesale substitution of situational personnel groups sounds good on paper, but I just don't think the Packers are deep enough talent-wise to pull it off. You lose cohesiveness, quality and consistency. Plus, you open yourself up to communication lapses and mistakes.

You have to fit the scheme to the talent you have, not the other way around. Schemes don't make plays, players do.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post

The emergence of Perry has really helped the defense. It allows a move like Matthews to the middle. I liked the Polamalu reference that Collinsworth made about Matthews in that he was all over the field and being put into positions to make plays.

Agree that I don't want him there full time, but what was done vs Chicago was a great start.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    The emergence of Perry has really helped the defense. It allows a move like Matthews to the middle. I liked the Polamalu reference that Collinsworth made about Matthews in that he was all over the field and being put into positions to make plays.

Agree that I don't want him there full time, but what was done vs Chicago was a great start.
    Let him play ILB off and on the rest of the season. Look to the draft to find a replacement for next year and move Clay back outside.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    Get 11 of your most talented guys on the field at the same time and let them play. Substitute here and there to keep them fresh.

Wholesale substitution of situational personnel groups sounds good on paper, but I just don't think the Packers are deep enough talent-wise to pull it off. You lose cohesiveness, quality and consistency. Plus, you open yourself up to communication lapses and mistakes.

You have to fit the scheme to the talent you have, not the other way around. Schemes don't make plays, players do.
    I think they have that depth in the secondary and OLB. But there is a reason the ILBs only recently changed for the better.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I'm not suggesting that what round a player is chosen in indicates how much success a player will have, but generally it can. What have the Packers acquired/kept on defense at ILB? Hawk who is solid, but not spectacular and has holes in his game. Jamari Lattimore can bring some nice game sometimes, but has about reached his ceiling. Sam Barrington is a 2nd year guy who was drafted in the 7th round and Brad Jones is a 7th rounder who started as an OLB, was moved to ILB and has had mixed results, and the Packers seem to have lost faith in him for good reason. I don't know what the GM guide to spending money on ILB's says, but you wouldn't say that what the Packers have at ILB is an overwhelming lot of players to solidify the middle of the field.

Ryan Shazier and C.J. Mosley would have looked awesome in Green and Gold, but it was not meant to be. I hope for Clay's sake that they shore up that spot in next year's draft or (dare I dream) a free agent ILB hits the market.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post

Ryan Shazier and C.J. Mosley would have looked awesome in Green and Gold, but it was not meant to be. I hope for Clay's sake that they shore up that spot in next year's draft or (dare I dream) a free agent ILB hits the market.
    I think Ha Ha has plugged a bigger hole than the one the Pack has at ILB. Not just him, but how much better Burnett has played with him there.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    Get 11 of your most talented guys on the field at the same time and let them play.
    End of thread?

We've got miles to go to catch up to Brett the Living Legend.

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    I think Ha Ha has plugged a bigger hole than the one the Pack has at ILB. Not just him, but how much better Burnett has played with him there.
    Totally agree. They had 2 big gaps there and they filled 1.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Playing ILB on 1st and 2nd down makes a lot of sense. It lets Perry be the guy setting the edge on most run downs which is an upgrade, gets our worst defender off the field which is nice, and hopefully can squeeze some extra production out of Clay by putting him near the ball more often. Not bad but its still just icing on the cake, Clay's salary is way too high to be justified by anything but rushing the passer and doing it well. Him getting back to probowl form on 3rd down is what would get me excited. Usually early in the season he starts off hot with some multi-sack games, hopefully the law of averages kicks in for him during the playoffs.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

he had a bigger impact in this game than he's had in a while. keep using him this way until it doesn't work anymore.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    I hope Capers isn't watching the Cactus Bowl. Washington just stacked three defenders over the center. No other defender was on the LOS.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers