Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: The Defense - Again, the Defense :(

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    I think Detroit wins big. They're a sleeping giant. So much talent...
    Not if they continue to play like they did yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Not if they continue to play like they did yesterday.
    Carolina is a good team... very tough, very physical. Carolina was 12-4 last year, and a very tough out. They are well coached, and don't shoot themselves in the foot like we do. The Lions losing to the Panthers at home is not a blight on Detroit's record - Detroit was very tough in the trenches as well, and that game was close until the Panthers were able to pull away later in the game.

I cited them as a team that was better than we are, and you guys laughed. In the trenches?? The Panthers will spank us like step-children on every snap.
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    I think Detroit wins big. They're a sleeping giant. So much talent...
    They have been repeating that mantra for 20 years of no playoff appearances in Detroit. Its soothing, but ultimately worthless.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    They have been repeating that mantra for 20 years of no playoff appearances in Detroit. Its soothing, but ultimately worthless.
    Detroit's secondary has been a problem for them for a long time. Combine that with sloppy QB play, combined with spectacular QB play... it's been enough to sink them.

Their OL isn't great, but good enough; and their front seven are much, much, better than ours. Of course Megatron, Bush, Bell, and now Ebron?? They're better than we are at the skill positions - sans QB.

They are entirely capable of whipping the shit out of us next week.
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post

They are entirely capable of whipping the shit out of us next week.
    Welcome to the NFL. Pretty much any team can get their heads handed to them if the don't play well. After 2 weeks, 18 of the 32 NFL teams are 1-1. 19 if Indy wins tonight.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

We were completely outcoached to open the game - that's all on dunderdummy. He did adjust, but getting throttled like that to open a game, against an anemic offensive team?? No excuse for that.

The Jets simply don't have any firepower on the outside or at TE, and their QB is not very good - yet dunderdummy can't get it right out of the gate?? And gets gashed by more option plays??

This was the Jets - and we were a semi-bogus TO call away from being tied with them late in the 4th quarter?? What's wrong with that picture??

One play that stands out to me is Geno Smith's easy run up the middle for a 1st down. I've been saying for a long time now that Capers doesn't care about the middle of the LOS, and that play was evidence enough of how out of touch Capers is with something that is essential to playing good defense, i.e. controlling the LOS, and being tough up the middle.

I don't expect we'll be able to stand up to Detroits physicality - they stomped us 40-10 in our last meeting... Rodgers was missing then, so the score will be closer this time, but Detroit is so much more physical than our ballarina team, that I expect they'll punch us in the mouth, and there won't be anything we can do about it.
    Detroit's offense is as finesse as they come.

Detroit in general plays a less physical game than the Jets.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Giving that team a free TD by botching the opening snap before everyone was seated didn't do us any favors. You don't give the underdog life that like that. The one thing I did see from the D was an improvement in tackling and they didn't let the Jets' RB run wild.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Detroit isn't to be taken lightly but the Panthers are downright scary and we match up horribly. We'll be underdogs at home for that one.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

I think the defense is going to be a work in progress for a few weeks yet. As a few reporters have pointed out, by keeping the 4-3 secret during the summer and only working on it in the Hutson center, the D lost a ton reps in practice and the preseason games. Except for a few Geno scrambles and the option toss to Kerley, the run D looked decent. Now if we could just clean up those misdirection plays.
    Go PACK

Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
    I think the defense is going to be a work in progress for a few weeks yet. As a few reporters have pointed out, by keeping the 4-3 secret during the summer and only working on it in the Hutson center, the D lost a ton reps in practice and the preseason games. Except for a few Geno scrambles and the option toss to Kerley, the run D looked decent. Now if we could just clean up those misdirection plays.
    Geno's run was against some form of the Psycho I think. Peppers was the only lineman I saw, but it might have been a 2 man line.

The 4-3 is also having WAY too much trouble with misdirection. Part of that is Matthews who commits before he has a read and you can't do this as the second line of defense esp. when you have contain.

They are still working out the kinks.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

The 4-3 is also having WAY too much trouble with misdirection.
    This. Against Seattle and again last night we gave up big plays due an absurd number of guys being fooled at the same time. Like 6 or 7 guys running away from the ball at times. Not sure how you fix rampant gullibility but moving to more zone coverages in the 2nd half seemed to help quite a bit. A little more discipline would go a long long way towards dumping fabreeze on this defense.

Anyone watching the tape is going to have more of the same in stock for us until we show we can sniff it out.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Vic Ketchman of Packers.com has mentioned that Capers has used the 4-3 before with Jacksonville. You guys who understand schemes/alignments well perhaps can shed some light on whether Capers is now doing something similar as what he was doing in Jacksonville (if you recall). Would that make Julius Peppers to this defense the equivalent of how Tony Brackens was used in Jacksonville's defense back in the day?
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    Vic Ketchman of Packers.com has mentioned that Capers has used the 4-3 before with Jacksonville. You guys who understand schemes/alignments well perhaps can shed some light on whether Capers is now doing something similar as what he was doing in Jacksonville (if you recall). Would that make Julius Peppers to this defense the equivalent of how Tony Brackens was used in Jacksonville's defense back in the day?
    I don't remember that but in Miami Capers was using a hybrid defense that could morph from a 4-3 to a 3-4 with Jason Taylor moving all over the place. Seems like the plan is to take that to an extreme this season because Clay, Peppers, Neal, and Perry are all playing multiple positions from what I've seen.

I said this in the Game Day thread but being a 2 point DE has made Perry a veritable wall against the run. He can't be moved.

I said this in the Game Day thread but being a 2 point DE has made Perry a veritable wall against the run. He can't be moved.
    Not too late to jump on..

Go PACK

Blog Entries
    Give credit to Dom, who has found an effective way to use him in our packages. He played a very good game
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    Give credit to Dom...
    Never, ever say that again!!!

For SHAME!!!
    wist

Never, ever say that again!!!

For SHAME!!!
    Broken clock, blind squirrel, Dom Capers.

Who's driving the Perry Wagon?
    C.H.U.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out View Post
    Who's driving the Perry Wagon?
    I'm fully on board
    Go PACK