Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread: The Defense - Again, the Defense :(

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    I'm not defending Pittsburgh - I'm indicting our defense... it's all relative.

Our defense is better than someone's I'm sure... just don't know who that could be??
    I'm in full agreement with you on Green Bay's defense being bad and Capers being culpable. I was just pointing out that Pittsburgh's defense is no way better than Green Bay's right now. At all. Their age has caught up with them and they no longer have the personnel to pull off the Capers/LeBeau 3-4, which suggests to me that the scheme really requires the players to know what they're doing and to be physically able to keep up with the demands. Green Bay has the former problem, Pittsburgh now has the latter it seems.

Capers being discombobulated trying to match up personnel in the first game might be a function of the newer approach he was supposed to take. It looked bad, though, and the result was not much better than the last few years.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

anyone else read this?

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/09/11/packer...ense-problems/

it got a big "no duh" from me. but its nice to see peter king agree with me that our d-line is way to small

to sum up, for you lazy fucks who don't want to read it. he says our defense and the pats d sucked hard last year, and after one game it looks like neither team fixed the problems. he does think the pats can recover, he has no hope for GB

heres a quote from 2008 right after sanders got fired and capers hired

“Really, what it came down to, I just didn’t feel that we were headed in the right direction on the defensive side of the ball,” McCarthy said then of the switch from Sanders to Capers. “From a personnel standpoint, I’m in favor of the 3-4 because it’s the body type that I think will enhance the type of football we want to play here in Green Bay, particularly in November and December. … It is an excellent run defense.”
    he then mentions that many of the players that have been brought in since that time have been 4-3 players

he also mentions the chilling fact that green bays D was ranked 27th in sanders last year when fat mike decided to make the switch. capers D also finished 27th last year, and could be worse this year
    Last edited by red; 09-12-2014 at 04:45 PM.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Thanks, Red, that was a good article, except I think the Packers can fix what's ailing them if TT, Stubby and Capers are able to step back and take "a more objective look at their personnel" right now. That starts with giving Pennel and Boyd some serious playing time, along with Daniels and Datone Jones on the D-line. The LB's that should get the lion's share of playing time are Matthews, Peppers, Lattimore, Neal and Perry.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Blog Entries
    Pittsburgh's defense is much better than ours...

Our LB's are terrible - which would explain why dunderdummy designs gameplans to ensure that as many of them as possible are on the field as much as possible?? What's wrong with that picture??

Capers is lost... don't know what stage of alzheimers he's in, but he's definitely on his way.

Pittsburg's defense is not better than ours right now IMO
    Perhaps our coach is the difference
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    I'll give Dom credit on this one. The defense got gashed for the first 19 minutes of the game for 180 yds and 3 TDs on 3 drives. Then for the last 41 minutes it was 8 drives for 133 yds with 3 pts, 5 punts and a turnover along with a 4th quarter stop on 4th down. He realized what he was doing wasn't working and changed things up. I've criticized him for his lack of adjustments, but he did a real good job on Sunday. They didn't get gashed on the ground after those 3 drives and the pass rush was real good as well. The beginning was awful, but I'll give credit when credit's due.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    I'll give Dom credit on this one. The defense got gashed for the first 19 minutes of the game for 180 yds and 3 TDs on 3 drives. Then for the last 41 minutes it was 8 drives for 133 yds with 3 pts, 5 punts and a turnover along with a 4th quarter stop on 4th down. He realized what he was doing wasn't working and changed things up. I've criticized him for his lack of adjustments, but he did a real good job on Sunday. They didn't get gashed on the ground after those 3 drives and the pass rush was real good as well. The beginning was awful, but I'll give credit when credit's due.
    I am not sure how much was adjustments. There was a lot of 4-3, jumbo nickel (Boyd and Guion).

There might have been, oddly enough, less of Matthews at roving LB with Peppers-Jones-Daniels-Neal up front. That unit got gashed several times straight up the middle. Saw a lot more Lattimore later in the game.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Gotta love that single Vick play that Mathews got a sack on! (especially since I've got Mathews in a FF league )What was Ryan thinking there???
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

We were completely outcoached to open the game - that's all on dunderdummy. He did adjust, but getting throttled like that to open a game, against an anemic offensive team?? No excuse for that.

The Jets simply don't have any firepower on the outside or at TE, and their QB is not very good - yet dunderdummy can't get it right out of the gate?? And gets gashed by more option plays??

This was the Jets - and we were a semi-bogus TO call away from being tied with them late in the 4th quarter?? What's wrong with that picture??

One play that stands out to me is Geno Smith's easy run up the middle for a 1st down. I've been saying for a long time now that Capers doesn't care about the middle of the LOS, and that play was evidence enough of how out of touch Capers is with something that is essential to playing good defense, i.e. controlling the LOS, and being tough up the middle.

I don't expect we'll be able to stand up to Detroits physicality - they stomped us 40-10 in our last meeting... Rodgers was missing then, so the score will be closer this time, but Detroit is so much more physical than our ballarina team, that I expect they'll punch us in the mouth, and there won't be anything we can do about it.
    wist

I think Detroit wins big. They're a sleeping giant. So much talent...

Giving that team a free TD by botching the opening snap before everyone was seated didn't do us any favors. You don't give the underdog life that like that. The one thing I did see from the D was an improvement in tackling and they didn't let the Jets' RB run wild.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    Not if they continue to play like they did yesterday.

We were completely outcoached to open the game - that's all on dunderdummy. He did adjust, but getting throttled like that to open a game, against an anemic offensive team?? No excuse for that.

The Jets simply don't have any firepower on the outside or at TE, and their QB is not very good - yet dunderdummy can't get it right out of the gate?? And gets gashed by more option plays??

This was the Jets - and we were a semi-bogus TO call away from being tied with them late in the 4th quarter?? What's wrong with that picture??

One play that stands out to me is Geno Smith's easy run up the middle for a 1st down. I've been saying for a long time now that Capers doesn't care about the middle of the LOS, and that play was evidence enough of how out of touch Capers is with something that is essential to playing good defense, i.e. controlling the LOS, and being tough up the middle.

I don't expect we'll be able to stand up to Detroits physicality - they stomped us 40-10 in our last meeting... Rodgers was missing then, so the score will be closer this time, but Detroit is so much more physical than our ballarina team, that I expect they'll punch us in the mouth, and there won't be anything we can do about it.
    Detroit's offense is as finesse as they come.

Detroit in general plays a less physical game than the Jets.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    They have been repeating that mantra for 20 years of no playoff appearances in Detroit. Its soothing, but ultimately worthless.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Not if they continue to play like they did yesterday.
    Carolina is a good team... very tough, very physical. Carolina was 12-4 last year, and a very tough out. They are well coached, and don't shoot themselves in the foot like we do. The Lions losing to the Panthers at home is not a blight on Detroit's record - Detroit was very tough in the trenches as well, and that game was close until the Panthers were able to pull away later in the game.

I cited them as a team that was better than we are, and you guys laughed. In the trenches?? The Panthers will spank us like step-children on every snap.
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    They have been repeating that mantra for 20 years of no playoff appearances in Detroit. Its soothing, but ultimately worthless.
    Detroit's secondary has been a problem for them for a long time. Combine that with sloppy QB play, combined with spectacular QB play... it's been enough to sink them.

Their OL isn't great, but good enough; and their front seven are much, much, better than ours. Of course Megatron, Bush, Bell, and now Ebron?? They're better than we are at the skill positions - sans QB.

They are entirely capable of whipping the shit out of us next week.
    wist

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Detroit isn't to be taken lightly but the Panthers are downright scary and we match up horribly. We'll be underdogs at home for that one.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

They are entirely capable of whipping the shit out of us next week.
    Welcome to the NFL. Pretty much any team can get their heads handed to them if the don't play well. After 2 weeks, 18 of the 32 NFL teams are 1-1. 19 if Indy wins tonight.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

I think the defense is going to be a work in progress for a few weeks yet. As a few reporters have pointed out, by keeping the 4-3 secret during the summer and only working on it in the Hutson center, the D lost a ton reps in practice and the preseason games. Except for a few Geno scrambles and the option toss to Kerley, the run D looked decent. Now if we could just clean up those misdirection plays.
    Go PACK

Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
    I think the defense is going to be a work in progress for a few weeks yet. As a few reporters have pointed out, by keeping the 4-3 secret during the summer and only working on it in the Hutson center, the D lost a ton reps in practice and the preseason games. Except for a few Geno scrambles and the option toss to Kerley, the run D looked decent. Now if we could just clean up those misdirection plays.
    Geno's run was against some form of the Psycho I think. Peppers was the only lineman I saw, but it might have been a 2 man line.

The 4-3 is also having WAY too much trouble with misdirection. Part of that is Matthews who commits before he has a read and you can't do this as the second line of defense esp. when you have contain.

They are still working out the kinks.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Vic Ketchman of Packers.com has mentioned that Capers has used the 4-3 before with Jacksonville. You guys who understand schemes/alignments well perhaps can shed some light on whether Capers is now doing something similar as what he was doing in Jacksonville (if you recall). Would that make Julius Peppers to this defense the equivalent of how Tony Brackens was used in Jacksonville's defense back in the day?
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan