Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
A few thoughts...

Revenge via the NFL, the way they are metting it out now, is instant satisfaction. No worries about due process, the target making bail and carrying on while things run their course. Just make the complaint, and boom - dude's screwed.

Why isn't it open to revenge/gold digging? IMO it's not as immediately obvious or open to abuse. Weed and DUI are more likely to need police involvement related to the event, the abuse charges could start with the woman making a teary phone call

Early days pb, early days. This is all pretty new, and I think the NFL is treading a dangerous path here, as Rutnstrut said, acting as judge, jury and executioner. The way they are handling it I absolutely see the opportunity for a spurned lover to take revenge either by blackmail or simply damaging a guy's career. And the NFL is going to get sued for suspending someone and damaging their career once they've been exonerated.

or the duke lacrosse team
Well, let's take one step back. Rutnstrut initially stated that the NFL's "PC" approach would open up athletes to abuse by gold diggers. That claim is manifestly mistaken.

a. If your goal is to live high on the hog, this move costs the arrangement money if it succeeds. If it fails, you get put out on the street.
b. If you are after blackmail, pay me or I go to the authorities, that possibility exists now with the drug and alcohol policy. And it doesn't seem to happen all that often. Think about how easy it it would be to post pictures of a night out drinking and then another of the player driving.
c. The NFL has set a standard (it may change) that the player is off the roster but still collecting a paycheck. So revenge is problematic as well if you really want to hurt the pocketbook even if you are not interested in more payouts.

As for revenge only, the NFL has video and photographs of two incidents and court testimony and a conviction in another. I think you are overestimating the chances a woman can get the domestic abuse charge to stick with the NFL without involving the authorities. Do you expect the women to call Dean Blandino or Troy Vincent and get him suspended without involving the authorities?

At some point you need evidence and that will have to be given to the police.