Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Adrian Peterson Indicted

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    He could sure use a paddle for that creek he's on.
    up

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    Trent Dilfer said something about this last night after the game.

It was the Wilf's decision and then they made the GM and Head Coach go in front of the media and explain it. Both were unprepared for the follow questions after reading their statements off of cue cards.

And this might be why it's tough for a fan like Ras, I think. You love your team, you've been watching them for decades. You love football. Then your team gets bought by a guy who's too douchy to go out front and explain his decision-making, instead throwing his GM and new HC in front of the cameras so they can explain the inexplicable.

You gotta hope the HC can somehow pull the team/organization through all this, but you realize that behind it all lies this kinda-slimey owner, and it probably causes you to feel slightly sick about it all. Whatever happened to the days when it was about football?

That must be what it's like, I think.

Ras and I haven't always agreed, but I echo his sentiment: what about the football?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    If AP had a paddle, he would still be on the team.
    True, but a paddling by Daddy Peterson may not be a good thing for a four-year-old.

If you trust in scientific research, corporal punishment does more harm than good.

If you are suspicious of the experts, and you think spanking can do some good, well, the law lets you whack away to a point. The problem is, it takes a lot of self-control that you may lack. People who got beat by their own parents seem to lack that control.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Then your team gets bought by a guy who's too douchy to go out front and explain his decision-making, instead throwing his GM and new HC in front of the cameras so they can explain the inexplicable.
    The local community really should own football teams. It's not like the owners today are brilliant businessmen whose brilliant marketing decisions guide their teams to success. The NFL is a monopoly, the public subsidizes the stadiums, and it's close to impossible for franchises to do anything but wildly appreciate in value. A NFL team is part of community identity - duh.

That said, at least public opinion seems to be playing a role in policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    The local community really should own football teams. It's not like the owners today are brilliant businessmen whose brilliant marketing decisions guide their teams to success. The NFL is a monopoly, the public subsidizes the stadiums, and it's close to impossible for franchises to do anything but wildly appreciate in value. A NFL team is part of community identity - duh.

There is real business acumen in the NFL. Jones, Snyder and Kraft are making a mint where before they were making a small Pacific island in local revenue.

The real question is, if that market should dry up (as it did temporarily in 2008-2010) could they recover?

There is also the disconnect between good for the franchises valuation and good for football overall.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    There is real business acumen in the NFL. Jones, Snyder and Kraft are making a mint where before they were making a small Pacific island in local revenue.
    The Packers have shown that public ownership works quite well, thank you. Which is why the owners have colluded to prevent that structure from being replicated.

I am unimpressed with the ability of Jerry Jones to make billions. He may be a good marksman, but he is still shooting fish in a barrel.

Fans should own their teams, it's a better structure. The NFL is out of control, they are a "regulated" monopoly only in theory. That said, I don't give too big of a fuck.

The Packers have shown that public ownership works quite well, thank you. Which is why the owners have colluded to prevent that structure from being replicated.

I am unimpressed with the ability of Jerry Jones to make billions. He may be a good marksman, but he is still shooting fish in a barrel.

Fans should own their teams, it's a better structure. The NFL is out of control, they are a "regulated" monopoly only in theory. That said, I don't give too big of a fuck.
    Fish in a barrel is about the right analogy. If you don't make money with a pro football team in Texas, there's a pretty big problem.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

The less the government meddles in, the better off we are. Don't go there!

Quote Originally Posted by Teamcheez1 View Post
    The less the government meddles in, the better off we are. Don't go there!
    How would you feel about a rich guy buying the packers? Perhaps the Wilf brothers. Are you unhappy with the status quo, the Packers being publicly owned?

I'm not exactly sure what the Packers' relationship is to government.

Bump for new activity.

More digging == more dirt. Tax evasion? Ouch, you guys take that pretty seriously. Some Capone guy spent an awful long time in jail because of it and a couple of brewski's from what I've heard.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...undation-past/
    --

Who really gives a shit if AP never plays again, it's not like he is poor. I feel so fucking sorry for some of these rich, dumb asses that have the world by the balls, but keep screwing up because everyone always caters to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    Who really gives a shit if AP never plays again, it's not like he is poor. I feel so fucking sorry for some of these rich, dumb asses that have the world by the balls, but keep screwing up because everyone always caters to them.
    But think of the children! The opportunities that will be denied to them! /sarcastic rant, left over from a comments made during a divorce proceeding
    --

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Shit, time to admit I was wrong about this guy.

All Day? More like All Done.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    If he is smart he pays one of his entourage to take an embezzlement charge
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Oday View Post
    If he is smart he pays one of his entourage to take an embezzlement charge
    Might not have to do more than open the books fully to have someone in his entourage take the rap. However it has his name on it, and with all the other shit he's in, he'll take some of the heat even if it is not all the heat.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    Might not have to do more than open the books fully to have someone in his entourage take the rap. However it has his name on it, and with all the other shit he's in, he'll take some of the heat even if it is not all the heat.
    His (well, his agent's) response is that is all ancient history, all the indiscretions pre-date 2011 when problems were found and a house cleaning was done. If that's true, and it should be easy to verify, this is a non-story that the media is dig up and didn't verify for the purpose of chucking more mud at him.
    --

I have read that athlete foundations are really just ways to put family and friends on a tax-free payroll. Its not too surprising.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    So he's pleading not guilty, so that means he won't get a trial for 9-12 months. Even if he does get acquitted or probation (so no jail time), he's still likely to get the 6 game domestic violence ban from the NFL. So not only is he 2014 season likely over, his 2015 is mostly gone as well, assuming a team signs him as I'm pretty sure MN is going to release him.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    So he's pleading not guilty, so that means he won't get a trial for 9-12 months. Even if he does get acquitted or probation (so no jail time), he's still likely to get the 6 game domestic violence ban from the NFL. So not only is he 2014 season likely over, his 2015 is mostly gone as well, assuming a team signs him as I'm pretty sure MN is going to release him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-1-trial-date/

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    His (well, his agent's) response is that is all ancient history, all the indiscretions pre-date 2011 when problems were found and a house cleaning was done. If that's true, and it should be easy to verify, this is a non-story that the media is dig up and didn't verify for the purpose of chucking more mud at him.

Yea, that shit was old news and the local press is piling on. He might be gone before next year, frankly I'm tired as hell of thinking about it so whatever.