A few thoughts...

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
So the revenge from getting the NFL to act is better than the revenge that could be had by reporting him to the police?
Revenge via the NFL, the way they are metting it out now, is instant satisfaction. No worries about due process, the target making bail and carrying on while things run their course. Just make the complaint, and boom - dude's screwed.

Why doesn't this happen with marijuana use then, or drinking and driving?
Why isn't it open to revenge/gold digging? IMO it's not as immediately obvious or open to abuse. Weed and DUI are more likely to need police involvement related to the event, the abuse charges could start with the woman making a teary phone call

I think you see leverage but do not take into consideration the actual motivations of the woman. If revenge alone was that popular, then more players would be in trouble and they would be caught not by the police or video or drug tests but by published reports.
Early days pb, early days. This is all pretty new, and I think the NFL is treading a dangerous path here, as Rutnstrut said, acting as judge, jury and executioner. The way they are handling it I absolutely see the opportunity for a spurned lover to take revenge either by blackmail or simply damaging a guy's career. And the NFL is going to get sued for suspending someone and damaging their career once they've been exonerated.

I could see this kind of behavior in a divorce or custody proceeding. Take Michael Strahan's ex for example.
or the duke lacrosse team