Thread: Adrian Peterson Indicted

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    I really feel bad for their HC Zimmer. This guy is being put in some really awkward places. He was on the local radio yesterday and you could just feel that he didn't know how to explain why AP was reactivated. The radio guy just kept coming at him about APs actions and Zimmer just was floundering. They guy is in a hell of a tough spot.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Senior Rat All-Pro oldbutnotdeadyet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    I really feel bad for their HC Zimmer. This guy is being put in some really awkward places. He was on the local radio yesterday and you could just feel that he didn't know how to explain why AP was reactivated. The radio guy just kept coming at him about APs actions and Zimmer just was floundering. They guy is in a hell of a tough spot.
    Maybe, but I get the feeling he knows where is bread is buttered. I wonder if the NFL will implement classes on how to handle this sort of thing. Would be better than cue cards.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    Trent Dilfer said something about this last night after the game.

It was the Wilf's decision and then they made the GM and Head Coach go in front of the media and explain it. Both were unprepared for the follow questions after reading their statements off of cue cards.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    Trent Dilfer said something about this last night after the game.

It was the Wilf's decision and then they made the GM and Head Coach go in front of the media and explain it. Both were unprepared for the follow questions after reading their statements off of cue cards.

And this might be why it's tough for a fan like Ras, I think. You love your team, you've been watching them for decades. You love football. Then your team gets bought by a guy who's too douchy to go out front and explain his decision-making, instead throwing his GM and new HC in front of the cameras so they can explain the inexplicable.

You gotta hope the HC can somehow pull the team/organization through all this, but you realize that behind it all lies this kinda-slimey owner, and it probably causes you to feel slightly sick about it all. Whatever happened to the days when it was about football?

That must be what it's like, I think.

Ras and I haven't always agreed, but I echo his sentiment: what about the football?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Then your team gets bought by a guy who's too douchy to go out front and explain his decision-making, instead throwing his GM and new HC in front of the cameras so they can explain the inexplicable.
    The local community really should own football teams. It's not like the owners today are brilliant businessmen whose brilliant marketing decisions guide their teams to success. The NFL is a monopoly, the public subsidizes the stadiums, and it's close to impossible for franchises to do anything but wildly appreciate in value. A NFL team is part of community identity - duh.

That said, at least public opinion seems to be playing a role in policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    The local community really should own football teams. It's not like the owners today are brilliant businessmen whose brilliant marketing decisions guide their teams to success. The NFL is a monopoly, the public subsidizes the stadiums, and it's close to impossible for franchises to do anything but wildly appreciate in value. A NFL team is part of community identity - duh.

There is real business acumen in the NFL. Jones, Snyder and Kraft are making a mint where before they were making a small Pacific island in local revenue.

The real question is, if that market should dry up (as it did temporarily in 2008-2010) could they recover?

There is also the disconnect between good for the franchises valuation and good for football overall.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    There is real business acumen in the NFL. Jones, Snyder and Kraft are making a mint where before they were making a small Pacific island in local revenue.
    The Packers have shown that public ownership works quite well, thank you. Which is why the owners have colluded to prevent that structure from being replicated.

I am unimpressed with the ability of Jerry Jones to make billions. He may be a good marksman, but he is still shooting fish in a barrel.

Fans should own their teams, it's a better structure. The NFL is out of control, they are a "regulated" monopoly only in theory. That said, I don't give too big of a fuck.

The Packers have shown that public ownership works quite well, thank you. Which is why the owners have colluded to prevent that structure from being replicated.

I am unimpressed with the ability of Jerry Jones to make billions. He may be a good marksman, but he is still shooting fish in a barrel.

Fans should own their teams, it's a better structure. The NFL is out of control, they are a "regulated" monopoly only in theory. That said, I don't give too big of a fuck.
    Fish in a barrel is about the right analogy. If you don't make money with a pro football team in Texas, there's a pretty big problem.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

The less the government meddles in, the better off we are. Don't go there!

Quote Originally Posted by Teamcheez1 View Post
    The less the government meddles in, the better off we are. Don't go there!
    How would you feel about a rich guy buying the packers? Perhaps the Wilf brothers. Are you unhappy with the status quo, the Packers being publicly owned?

I'm not exactly sure what the Packers' relationship is to government.