Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Adrian Peterson Indicted

I think Peterson is divorced from reality if he thinks he will play football this year. Even if he is acquitted, he can't make those pictures and police reports go away.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    I think Peterson is divorced from reality if he thinks he will play football this year. Even if he is acquitted, he can't make those pictures and police reports go away.

Yea, I agree he's probably divorced from reality...no idea what the NFL would do as a punishment on an aquittal.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Interesting. I totally get why they want a quick trial date just to get this over with. I heard on the radio that it all depends on when the judge has an opening and that may not even be known tomorrow when they go to court to enter the plea.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Rusty Hardin got Roger Clemens a not guilty plea on six counts of perjury, when the guy who was injecting him with PEDs testified against him. So i put nothing past him here.

The real fun will be Goodell trying to make a suspension stick given his track record of being all over the map vis a vis domestic violence and taking court results under advisement. He's going to need a new coat of Teflon before he's done.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

The NFL trying to look PC on the domestic abuse issue, is going to wreck someones career. It will only be a matter of time, before some psycho bitch decides she wants to get revenge on the NFL player that dumped her. The law with domestics already screws over the man, even when the woman is the abuser. Now Goodell's rules just assume guilt before anything is proved. The NFL is sooo worried about covering their ass, that they are willing to throw their players under the bus. I'm not saying that AP is getting hosed and wrongly accused. But it will happen, and it will do irreversible damage to that players reputation/career.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    The NFL trying to look PC on the domestic abuse issue, is going to wreck someones career. It will only be a matter of time, before some psycho bitch decides she wants to get revenge on the NFL player that dumped her. The law with domestics already screws over the man, even when the woman is the abuser. Now Goodell's rules just assume guilt before anything is proved. The NFL is sooo worried about covering their ass, that they are willing to throw their players under the bus. I'm not saying that AP is getting hosed and wrongly accused. But it will happen, and it will do irreversible damage to that players reputation/career.
    So if the NFL is now PC, what precisely should they be doing differently?

Ray Rice is a great example to start with. Both parties were physical. Both may have been drunk. Only one did enough damage to knock someone unconscious. The court let her slide and gave him pre-trial diversion. So the Court gave him a slap on the wrist, as it were, but did accept his plea of guilty.

What suspension would be just in this case?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    IMO the NFL screwed up when they decided to take a stance on more than football. The NFL is like a Columbian coke lord, distributing its product through a number of giant drug cartels (cable companies). They need to worry about the integrity of their product sure, but casting judgment on the integrity of anything else is going to make it apparent they are out of their wheelhouse and is going to draw attention to the fact that they embody the idea of profits over people.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    the fact that they embody the idea of profits over people.
    What? The NFL surely isn't like that. You must have misunderstood them.

IMO the NFL screwed up when they decided to take a stance on more than football. The NFL is like a Columbian coke lord, distributing its product through a number of giant drug cartels (cable companies). They need to worry about the integrity of their product sure, but casting judgment on the integrity of anything else is going to make it apparent they are out of their wheelhouse and is going to draw attention to the fact that they embody the idea of profits over people.
    Protect the shield sounded good but was much more complex than they imagined. I have some sympathy for a business trying to discipline its employees for off the clock behavior, (and sympathy for employees subjected to discipline unrelated to work) but the NFL waked straight into this voluntarily. Only their ignorance made them think this was going to be simple. And the NFLPA agreed. Astounding.

Looks like he got the Dec 1 trial date. The prosecution is going to see if the judge will recuse himself for calling the attys "media whores", oh the horror. Looks like the only way this trial is being delayed is if this happens.

IMO the NFL screwed up when they decided to take a stance on more than football.
    The NFL tried your approach and it failed miserably. They have no choice but to deal with the behavior of players.

The NFL trying to look PC on the domestic abuse issue, is going to wreck someones career. It will only be a matter of time, before some psycho bitch decides she wants to get revenge on the NFL player that dumped her.
    I try and be fair to all parties in domestic abuse accusations. I think the "PC" thing is misplaced, it implies unfairness. None of the guys accused of domestic abuse, including Peterson, have been railroaded.

If and when somebody gets falsely accused and damaged, we can talk about a PC rush to judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Protect the shield sounded good but was much more complex than they imagined. I have some sympathy for a business trying to discipline its employees for off the clock behavior, (and sympathy for employees subjected to discipline unrelated to work) but the NFL waked straight into this voluntarily. Only their ignorance made them think this was going to be simple. And the NFLPA agreed. Astounding.

...And I thought shields were supposed to do the protecting.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    I try and be fair to all parties in domestic abuse accusations. I think the "PC" thing is misplaced, it implies unfairness. None of the guys accused of domestic abuse, including Peterson, have been railroaded.

If and when somebody gets falsely accused and damaged, we can talk about a PC rush to judgement.
    It WILL happen, it's not like a gold digging whore has ever filed a false accusation against a rich athlete. This will just make it that much easier and instead of waiting to see if the player is guilty, they are punished immediately. Roger Goodell A.K.A Judge, jury, and executioner.

About 15% of domestic violence victims are men. Now, it's possible that the physical size and strength of an NFL player makes their situation different. We'll probably never know though. What NFL player is going to call the police and say he got beat up by his wife? The culture of the sport won't allow it.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

It WILL happen, it's not like a gold digging whore has ever filed a false accusation against a rich athlete. This will just make it that much easier and instead of waiting to see if the player is guilty, they are punished immediately. Roger Goodell A.K.A Judge, jury, and executioner.
    In your scenario, how does the women benefit?

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    In your scenario, how does the women benefit?
    Obviously, a gold digger wants the stream to dry up so they can...

Oh, wait.

Does not compute.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    Obviously, a gold digger wants the stream to dry up so they can...

Oh, wait.

Does not compute.
    Yeah, the incentives kinda run the other way, newly PC NFL or not. Which is one reason why this crime may very well be underreported.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Any good gold digging whore mastermind would have the sense to make a parlay bet on all of Peterson's player props categories before kicking off a scandal like this.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.