Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14

Thread: Adrian Peterson Indicted

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    WTF is he thinking? Not a chance the NFL lets him play this season now, although I didn't think before that they were. I'd be surprised if they don't penalize him for next season as well.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    WTF is he thinking? Not a chance the NFL lets him play this season now, although I didn't think before that they were. I'd be surprised if they don't penalize him for next season as well.

Dude, they don't even have test results back yet. Jesus Christ.....although telling the dude collecting your sample you just smoked a joint ranks up with Koren Robinson showing up for jail on a DWI drunk.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rastak View Post
    Dude, they don't even have test results back yet. Jesus Christ.....although telling the dude collecting your sample you just smoked a joint ranks up with Koren Robinson showing up for jail on a DWI drunk.
    I'm going to rush to judgment on him because I can. Also because he admitted to it like a dumbass.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    In your scenario, how does the women benefit?
    In this scenario she does it for revenge, I shouldn't have used the gold digger term there. It WILL happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    In this scenario she does it for revenge, I shouldn't have used the gold digger term there. It WILL happen.
    So the revenge from getting the NFL to act is better than the revenge that could be had by reporting him to the police?

Why doesn't this happen with marijuana use then, or drinking and driving?

I think you see leverage but do not take into consideration the actual motivations of the woman. If revenge alone was that popular, then more players would be in trouble and they would be caught not by the police or video or drug tests but by published reports.

I could see this kind of behavior in a divorce or custody proceeding. Take Michael Strahan's ex for example.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

So the revenge from getting the NFL to act is better than the revenge that could be had by reporting him to the police?

I think you see leverage but do not take into consideration the actual motivations of the woman. If revenge alone was that popular, then more players would be in trouble and they would be caught not by the police or video or drug tests but by published reports.

I could see this kind of behavior in a divorce or custody proceeding. Take Michael Strahan's ex for example.
    IMO there are many situations settled on the down low out of court. Where you have men with a lot of money, you will have unscrupulous women after it.

IMO there are many situations settled on the down low out of court. Where you have men with a lot of money, you will have unscrupulous women after it.
    I agree. It also has nothing to do with the NFL disciplining and discouraging players over domestic abuse. It exists in and of itself.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

A few thoughts...

Revenge via the NFL, the way they are metting it out now, is instant satisfaction. No worries about due process, the target making bail and carrying on while things run their course. Just make the complaint, and boom - dude's screwed.

Why isn't it open to revenge/gold digging? IMO it's not as immediately obvious or open to abuse. Weed and DUI are more likely to need police involvement related to the event, the abuse charges could start with the woman making a teary phone call

Early days pb, early days. This is all pretty new, and I think the NFL is treading a dangerous path here, as Rutnstrut said, acting as judge, jury and executioner. The way they are handling it I absolutely see the opportunity for a spurned lover to take revenge either by blackmail or simply damaging a guy's career. And the NFL is going to get sued for suspending someone and damaging their career once they've been exonerated.

or the duke lacrosse team
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    A few thoughts...

Revenge via the NFL, the way they are metting it out now, is instant satisfaction. No worries about due process, the target making bail and carrying on while things run their course. Just make the complaint, and boom - dude's screwed.

Why isn't it open to revenge/gold digging? IMO it's not as immediately obvious or open to abuse. Weed and DUI are more likely to need police involvement related to the event, the abuse charges could start with the woman making a teary phone call

Early days pb, early days. This is all pretty new, and I think the NFL is treading a dangerous path here, as Rutnstrut said, acting as judge, jury and executioner. The way they are handling it I absolutely see the opportunity for a spurned lover to take revenge either by blackmail or simply damaging a guy's career. And the NFL is going to get sued for suspending someone and damaging their career once they've been exonerated.

or the duke lacrosse team
    Well, let's take one step back. Rutnstrut initially stated that the NFL's "PC" approach would open up athletes to abuse by gold diggers. That claim is manifestly mistaken.

a. If your goal is to live high on the hog, this move costs the arrangement money if it succeeds. If it fails, you get put out on the street.
    b. If you are after blackmail, pay me or I go to the authorities, that possibility exists now with the drug and alcohol policy. And it doesn't seem to happen all that often. Think about how easy it it would be to post pictures of a night out drinking and then another of the player driving.
    c. The NFL has set a standard (it may change) that the player is off the roster but still collecting a paycheck. So revenge is problematic as well if you really want to hurt the pocketbook even if you are not interested in more payouts.

As for revenge only, the NFL has video and photographs of two incidents and court testimony and a conviction in another. I think you are overestimating the chances a woman can get the domestic abuse charge to stick with the NFL without involving the authorities. Do you expect the women to call Dean Blandino or Troy Vincent and get him suspended without involving the authorities?

At some point you need evidence and that will have to be given to the police.

"At some point you need evidence and that will have to be given to the police."

That's my point, the NFL is setting a precedent to act without evidence. Even if the player is eventually proved innocent, the damage is done.

That's my point, the NFL is setting a precedent to act without evidence. Even if the player is eventually proved innocent, the damage is done.
    That ship sailed long ago, see Ben Roethlisberger. In the cases of Rice and Hardy, they had a criminal proceeding to go on. Peterson has public photos. The new policy doesn't change anything. If anything, the players in these cases are better off as they are getting paid.

Blog Entries
    The last sighting of the Duke Lacrosse "rape victim" was her mug shot.

In the can on a murder beef.

How exactly are they ever proved innocent? The criminal courts don't prove innocence.

Peterson is suspended until April 15th (earliest reinstatement).

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 16m16 minutes ago
    NFL announces Adrian Peterson suspended without pay the rest of the 2014 season http://wp.me/p14QSB-9Dkx

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 15m15 minutes ago
    NFL notes its domestic violence policy of 6 games for 1st offense w/escalating discipline if a minor involved. Considers a switch a weapon

It is harsh, but I would say appropriate. AP will be back in league earning plenty. I hope he is a changed man, but that is optimistic.

Paul Pabst ‏@PaulPabst 23m23 minutes ago
    Trending...in order..."Charles Manson...Adrian Peterson...Goodell...NFLPA."
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.