Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41

Thread: Official GameDay Thread Week 2: Jets @ Packers

I've got nothing on Hyde news.

Just the really curious situation with Hyde, Bush went in ahead of him for dime.

JSO Packer Chat

Q: Bill - Hyde update?
    A: Tyler Dunne - Bill: Nothing on Micah Hyde. Nothing on Andy Mulumba. Both left the game with knee injuries and McCarthy doesn't say much at all about injuries after the game anymore.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Green & Gold Shades Rat HOFer channtheman's Avatar
    Kicking the field goals early in the game were the right calls. I was very pleased to see that MM agreed with me on this. In the NFL it is difficult to score points. When you are losing, you won't win by not scoring. Not taking 3 points when you could have and than also not scoring a TD can also be very demoralizing to a team. I also tend to feel that you should almost always kick the PAT until you absolutely need to go for 2. I disagreed with going for 2 when we did, even though I know it put us up 3 points. I have seen teams get screwed enough times by going for 2 too early in the game and that single point would come back to bite them in the butt. For a couple of good examples of how going for 2 too early in the game can potentially screw you, see the Arizona Cardinals first 2 games this year. They've gone for 2 on 3 occasions fairly early in the game and none of them were successful and could have cost them. In each situation, had the Cardinals opted for the nearly guaranteed PAT, it would have allowed them an easier way to tie or be up by a field goal vs. only 2 points, etc. (Granted, I can't remember the exact scenarios).

I agreed with kicking the FG at the ~6 min mark in the first half to total 9 pts because it would have been too big a risk to give the Jets a boost going into the locker room. Didnt agree with the OS kick tho...

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    I agreed with kicking the FG at the ~6 min mark in the first half to total 9 pts because it would have been too big a risk to give the Jets a boost going into the locker room. Didnt agree with the OS kick tho...
    The OS kick is one of those things MM does that drives me up a wall. It's like he thinks he can outsmart other coaches.

MM: "Ah Ha, they'll never suspect a an OS kick when were down three scores so let's go for it."

Save that crap for when we're up a couple scores and the defense has been playing lights out. If that will ever happen.

Senior Rat All-Pro oldbutnotdeadyet's Avatar
    I missed the whole 2nd half (went hunting), so sorta hard to comment. I am very happy with the come from behind win, but we have a long way to go before we can be considered contenders. My hope is we can continue to improve over these next few games, keep injuries to a minimum, and somewhere along the line fire capers and slocum.

Quote Originally Posted by pittstang5 View Post
    The OS kick is one of those things MM does that drives me up a wall. It's like he thinks he can outsmart other coaches.

MM: "Ah Ha, they'll never suspect a an OS kick when were down three scores so let's go for it."

Save that crap for when we're up a couple scores and the defense has been playing lights out. If that will ever happen.
    The onside kick this week and going for it on 4th down in the 3rd quarter last week are risks I am fine with, and are probably as much for psychological reasons as for strategic ones. That is M3 taking a risk at a calculated time to extend a drive or steal a possession, and it lets them know that he's not afraid to stick his neck out to win them the game. It goes to the kind of mentality a team needs to be successful -- playing with a sort of controlled chaos. Neither of those hurt the Packers. The D made a stand after the 4th down failure and the D again came up with the big INT this week.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

The onside kid as a surprise has a good chance of success. But if TV was correct, the Jets had their hands team out there.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pittstang5 View Post

You don't need to do an onside kick if you're up a couple scores and the defense is playing lights out. You do an onside kick for one of two reasons. Either, you desperately need the ball back, or you're trying to change the momentum of the game. In this case the latter applies. I had no problem with it, especially since Crosby is pretty good at it.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    I like how MM sprinkles in onside kicks although this one was a bit predictable. I don't have the stats to prove it but Mason Crosby has to be among the best onside kickers to ever play. Also if you're going to allow a time-sucking march up the field, might as well have it start at mid-field, give your defense the compressed field sooner, and no matter what get Rodgers back out there sooner.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

I didn't like the onside kick and I especially didn't like it's execution. Top one that goes 11 yards if you're going for an onside. Trying to plop it between the first and second wave of defenders? No thanks
    Go PACK

Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
    I didn't like the onside kick and I especially didn't like it's execution. Top one that goes 11 yards if you're going for an onside. Trying to plop it between the first and second wave of defenders? No thanks
    Yeah, well... I think the placement, not the timing, was supposed to be the surprise part of that onside kick. They probably had Mason and their front line targeted to a spot where they thought the Jets might not expect it to hit.

That one might have looked better on paper.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

McCarthy said in his PC Monday that they did not expect the Jets to react they way they did to the formation. He said they had never used it before and so was surprised by the reaction, which he must have viewed as successful.

Called is "disturbing" I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    McCarthy said in his PC Monday that they did not expect the Jets to react they way they did to the formation. He said they had never used it before and so was surprised by the reaction, which he must have viewed as successful.

Called is "disturbing" I believe.
    What are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    He's talking about the onside kick. Jets appeared to have their "hands" team out there. MM was saying it appeared the Jets had a way of knowing what was coming.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    The onside kick this week and going for it on 4th down in the 3rd quarter last week are risks I am fine with, and are probably as much for psychological reasons as for strategic ones. That is M3 taking a risk at a calculated time to extend a drive or steal a possession, and it lets them know that he's not afraid to stick his neck out to win them the game. It goes to the kind of mentality a team needs to be successful -- playing with a sort of controlled chaos. Neither of those hurt the Packers. The D made a stand after the 4th down failure and the D again came up with the big INT this week.
    I think I could make a pretty good argument that going for it on 4th down in the Seattle game was a big reason the Packers lost. Sure the defense made a stand at mid-field, but then Seattle punted pinning the Packers down on their own 10. On the very next play Rodgers fumbled and Seattle scored a safety and that's all she wrote. Bad things happen to you when you're pinned down deep in your own territory.

As far as the onside kick goes, it was a HUGE gamble that wasn't warranted. GB was only 12 points down at the time but the failed onside gave the Jets the ball at midfield just before halftime. If not for the interception AND a 97 yard drive, the Jets might have gone into halftime with a 20 point lead! Not good.

If the Packers could followup every failed onside kick with an interception AND a 97 yard drive, I might agree with you. Try it.

But what are the odds?

As I see it, those kinds of gambles work to a team's mental disadvantage. It kind of sends a message to your guys that they can't win without gimmicks because the other team is just plain that much better.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    http://www.packersnews.com/story/spo...kick/15694271/

After the Packers' third field goal cut the Jets' lead to 21-9 in the second quarter Sunday, McCarthy elected a surprise onside kick. It was a formation the Packers hadn't shown on film. McCarthy expected the element of surprise.

Instead, McCarthy said he was surprised – and a bit curious – to see the Jets were not caught off guard.

"I felt like they were in our huddle, frankly," McCarthy said. "Just the way they lined up to it is disturbing to me. It's something we've never shown. It's a formation we've never been in."

McCarthy is not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree. Uses an exotic formation on a kickoff and it's something the Jets have not had a chance to see before... and is surprised that they suspected an on-side try. Dork. :P

McCarthy has always been a big self scouter. At this point in the season its hard to tell what's a good idea and what's setting up the future. He's not subtle at all. That John Kuhn hand off out of the goal line was beyond stubborn for a whole season but then when it mattered he had the easiest walk in touchdown ever by faking that play. He absolutely spammed the back shoulder throws for so long that defenders had been cheating on it for a month before the first double move came for an easy long completion. In 2007 is was the same with the slants. As fans we always have a sense of urgency but at this point in MM's career I think his mind is already in January. He's making the film he wants his playoff opponents to watch. Hopefully whatever this trick kickoff formation was has some future value.