Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL 2015 NFL DRAFT THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Has to be among my favorite posts ever. Team was 1-1 after a struggle with the Jets.
    i almost nailed it

the sad thing is that we desperately need an ILB

problem is, there isn't much in the draft. one guys too small, and the other has never covered anyone

and then of course there isn't much talent in free agency either

i think i'd like to drop capers and switch to a 4-3, we just don't have the bodies to play 3-4 and it doesn't look like we're gonna be able to find any outside the team either

and while we're at it, get rid of the fucking zone coverage bullshit that leaves 15 yard holes all over the field

Blog Entries
    Chris Borland be ok at this point
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    the sad thing is that we desperately need an ILB

problem is, there isn't much in the draft. one guys too small, and the other has never covered anyone

and then of course there isn't much talent in free agency either

i think i'd like to drop capers and switch to a 4-3, we just don't have the bodies to play 3-4 and it doesn't look like we're gonna be able to find any outside the team either

and while we're at it, get rid of the fucking zone coverage bullshit that leaves 15 yard holes all over the field
    I like what I saw of Lorenzo Mauldin in the Senior Bowl. He's listed at 6'4" 252 lbs. He was covering guys all over the field. He looked very agile for his size. I think Paul Dawson is the real deal too. He's 6'2" 230 lbs. Dawson is projected as a 2nd rounder, but his stock is climbing. Mauldin is project at a 3-4 round pick.

Size is relative. You can be big and slow, physically and football IQ wise. I'll take Dawson's size if it means speed. I'm sick of seeing TE's outrun our LB's!

This is what I like most about Mauldin: Looks the part of a brawler, doesn't he?
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

You tube of Jesse James in action. Keep in mind this guy is 6'7" 254 lbs. Note quickness turning the corner, playt starts at about the 1:04 mark...

Last edited by Maxie the Taxi; 01-25-2015 at 08:13 PM.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.

This is what drives me nuts about scouting reports...

On PAUL DAWSON, LB, TCU...

From NFL DRAFT SCOUT.COM:
    "...Tackles low, wrapping ball-carriers securely...shows only average strength and technique to disengage from blockers once they've latched on."

From the same web page:
    "...Dawson is a reliable open-field tackler who hits ball-carriers in their legs and wraps securely..."

From NFL Draft Tracker:
    "...Not a wrap-up tackler...When blocked, doesn't stay wired to blocks..."

This is why I like prospects I've seen play with my own eyes.

Plus, it's why Ted Thompson knows what he's doing, and I don't!

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    Funchess was my original guy, but the rap on him is that he drops too many, which reminded me too much of Finley. Have you seen him play?

I watched film of Jesse James and he was pretty darn Finley like.

After watching the Senior Bowl, I'm kinda drifting toward Nick Boyle. He's 6'6" and 270 lbs. He runs well and has fairly good hands.

I haven't seen Maxx Williams play, but he might require a 1st round pick to get. Don't know if I want him that bad.
    Funchess really seems like the Finley clone, in every way you think of Finley. Great talent, head case. Didn't see Boyle, James seemed just OK to me.

I can't talk about Williams in an unbiased manner. He looks like the real deal, but how do you really tell with an offense so dedicated to running the ball. Character-wise, he's what the Packers want. He will be solid. Won't go after the ball when he should be blocking. Will know the playbook before camp - a Cobb type - just loves to play football.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

I think a Witten clone is more desirable than a deep threat. The kid from Miami or ND could possibly be that type.

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/20...eas-on-defense

Packers mock draft: Green Bay addresses 2 areas on defense

By: Jason B. Hirschhorn  @by_JBH on Feb 3 2015, 9:00 AM
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    I like what I saw of Lorenzo Mauldin in the Senior Bowl. He's listed at 6'4" 252 lbs. He was covering guys all over the field. He looked very agile for his size. I think Paul Dawson is the real deal too. He's 6'2" 230 lbs. Dawson is projected as a 2nd rounder, but his stock is climbing. Mauldin is project at a 3-4 round pick.

Size is relative. You can be big and slow, physically and football IQ wise. I'll take Dawson's size if it means speed. I'm sick of seeing TE's outrun our LB's!

This is what I like most about Mauldin: Looks the part of a brawler, doesn't he?
    Those LBers are named AJ Hawk and Brad Jones = S L O W.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/20...eas-on-defense

Packers mock draft: Green Bay addresses 2 areas on defense

By: Jason B. Hirschhorn  @by_JBH on Feb 3 2015, 9:00 AM
    In this guy's draft, he has Shaq Thompson out of the top 50 (lol). If Thompson drops from the top 15, I'd be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    In this guy's draft, he has Shaq Thompson out of the top 50 (lol). If Thompson drops from the top 15, I'd be surprised.
    If the picks fell as this guy projects, I'd be disappointed. IMO Bernardrick McKinney is over-rated and slow as molasses. Combine results will tell the story.

Also, Kikaha is listed at 6'3" 246 lbs and projected as an OLB in the NFL.

If the guy is looking for the Pack to draft a DL-man Carl Davis and Arik Armstead are available on his own board instead of McKinney.

Some might be downgrading him due to lack of size, and he probably doesn't have the frame to gain much weight. Still, he's an explosive player who will probably impress at the Combine. Three mocks at CBSSportsline have him going no later than 21.

3 comp picks for the Packers, 2-6th rounder (EDS, James Jones) and a 1-7th rounder (Marshall Newhouse). CJ Wilson would qualify but he is not among the Top 32 losses and doesn't get a pick.

http://overthecap.com/projecting-the...icks-for-2015/
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Last year, all the typical projections undervalued a lot of the picks. Hopefully we still get 5ths for EDS and especially JJ.

One of my favorite later-round players is LB Ramik Wilson from Georgia. He's not a physical freak, but he's goodgot good tools and is oozing with instinct. I could see him as this year's version of what's his face from Wisconsin. Sans the injury history. We would get him with a 4th, and possibly with a 5th.

One of my favorite later-round players is LB Ramik Wilson from Georgia. He's not a physical freak, but he's goodgot good tools and is oozing with instinct. I could see him as this year's version of what's his face from Wisconsin. Sans the injury history. We would get him with a 4th, and possibly with a 5th.
    Yes. I've had my eye on him too. I don't think there's value at the ILB position early, but he would be a good 4th round pick. Because of the weakness of the ILB position in this draft, he won't last past the 4th if that.

http://lombardiave.com/2015/02/06/gr...gn=RecentPosts

Green Bay Packers draft prospect: Nick O'Leary

BY: Josh McPeak 12h ago

** During his final season for the Seminoles. The consensus All-American would also take home the John Mackey Award - the most outstanding tight end in the country.

** He set the career receptions mark for a tight end at Florida State with 114 receptions.

** While at FSU, Nick O’Leary was part of a National Championship winning team as well as three consecutive Atlantic Coast Conference championships. He is no stranger to success or to big games."

** If he's drafted he might go a long way toward solving the Packers poor Red Zone performance.

Comment
    woodbuck27:

As an added bonus for his NFL QB.

If Nick O'Leary is drafted then maybe Aaron Rodgers would meet the Golden Bear and maybe play golf with him.
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 02-06-2015 at 09:31 PM.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Remember the name Jean Sifrin when watching the NFL Scouting Combine.

Massachusetts tight end Jean Sifrin is another who has not taken a normal route to the combine.

Sifrin -- who was born in the Bahamas -- is 27 years old. He played basketball and football at powerhouse Miami Norland -- other former Norland players in this draft include Miami tailback Duke Johnson and UM offensive tackle Ereck Flowers, and Pittsburgh Steelers star Antonio Brown is another ex-Norland player - but dropped out in 2005, his senior year, to work.

He eventually received his GED and decided he wanted to give college a try. He attended two junior colleges, one in New York and one in California; UMass found him at El Camino CC in California, where he played the 2013 season.

Sifrin had 42 receptions for 642 yards (15.3 yards per catch) and six TDs this past season at UMass; he then decided to enter the draft a year early.

He was listed at 6-foot-7 and 250 pounds by UMass, and for a guy that big, he moves well and is surprisingly agile. While raw, he has good hands and put up solid stats in UMass' pass-happy offense (the Minutemen coach is former NFL assistant Mark Whipple).

The above is from an article on NFL.com http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...lines-to-watch

Somewhere else I read that he runs a 4.6 40 yard dash, which is pretty good for a 6-7, 250 pound guy. That one catch in the end zone is pretty sweet. He is 27, though.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/291103901.html

Comment woodbuck27:

This article is about the cornerback position and what is necessary to be good or respected at this vital position in a passing game. The article will inform you of available draft prospects.

CB Tramon Williams 31 years old is a UFA and had a CAP hit of $9.5M$ in 2014. CB Davon House and Jarrett Bush CB'/ST's are also Free Agents.

The team cannot have enough good CB's and no doubt Ted Thompson will address this position in the Off Season