Thread: Why would any undrafted rookie not come to GB?

Why would any undrafted rookie not come to GB?

If presented with this data, why would any undrafted rookie who gets an offer from the Packers not come to Green Bay?

Since Ted Thompson became general manager in 2005, the Packers have the most snaps from undrafted players in the NFL at 77,079, according to ESPN.com, with the next-closest team well behind at 54,105.

The OL guy, Rotherham, agrees with you. I hope he can play some tackle.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/spo...kies/27063547/

He chose the Packers over the Steelers, Vikings and 49ers.

"I was offered more bonus money by a couple other teams," Rotheram said, "but I turned that down to come here because I thought I had the best opportunity to make the 53-man roster here."
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    If presented with this data, why would any undrafted rookie who gets an offer from the Packers not come to Green Bay?
    This is a subtle advantage we'll have as long as Ted and Mike are here. In a league where spending is capped, advantages like this are pure gold.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

We must be one of the few teams that actually give these UDFAs a legit shot at actually making the roster. Sam Shields is a prime example.

Tramon and Shields went a long way towards pushing those numbers up, I wonder how many of those snaps they accounted for? Were there two other UDFA starters at CB in the whole league?
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Another thread had a link to an article about the rookie weekend - which is actually for rookies, UDFA, 1st year players and tryout players. Does anyone know if a player from the last group has ever made the team?

dammit, can't find the link. I was surprised at the number of tryout players, I guess they bring in a lot of warm bodies. How does that work? Do the Packers pay their transport and motel rooms for the week-end?
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

It depends on the position I guess...if I were an undrafted WR, I'm not sure I would consider Green Bay at this point. The position is already as deep as any team in the NFL.

However, if most other things are equal, then yes...it gives Green Bay a certain level of advantage.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post
    However, if most other things are equal, then yes...it gives Green Bay a certain level of advantage.
    As stated elsewhere, the Packers also will draw from the pool of guys they've seen in the facility in case of a crisis of injuries at a position. Rotherham for example, if he shows promise, might be the first guy they call up if they (god forbid) get a couple of linemen hurt. It seems at every opportunity, the Packers will choose the newb at least provisionally 'brought up' in their own system over a calcified veteran from other team(s).
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Because they are black. And it is often reprinted FACT that black free agents don't want to come to Green Bay.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    Tramon and Shields went a long way towards pushing those numbers up, I wonder how many of those snaps they accounted for? Were there two other UDFA starters at CB in the whole league?
    Just off the top of my head (could be way off) I would speculate that combined they played less than 8000 snaps. Still a monstorous gap. Guys like Zombo and Richardson and others who never started, or briefly started make up a bigger chunk.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Another thread had a link to an article about the rookie weekend - which is actually for rookies, UDFA, 1st year players and tryout players. Does anyone know if a player from the last group has ever made the team?
    Luther Robinson last year. Came in as a tryout player at the rookie orientation camp, was signed after it, released at the end of camp but signed to PS squad, and ultimately signed to the 53 man roster mid-season.

I think there have been others.

Brandon Bostick was a tryout player too, in 2012, so it was a few years on PS before he made the regular roster.

dammit, can't find the link. I was surprised at the number of tryout players, I guess they bring in a lot of warm bodies. How does that work? Do the Packers pay their transport and motel rooms for the week-end?
    GBPG listed three:

Boykin (although the tryout was after being cut by Jacksonville)
    Luther Robinson
    And one more I can't remember

Levine was a tryout player who got onto the practice squad then went and played real games with another team.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.