Page 18 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 ... LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL 2015 NFL DRAFT THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    I like Anthony just fine... just don't think he's nearly as dynamic an athlete as McKinney.

Besides, I read somewhere that Dunderdummy likes Anthony a lot - that is a serious knock against him. If Spraypaintedhair likes him, there has to something seriously wrong with the guy
    http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/

Staying with the Pack, I’m told they are very high on Stephone Anthony, who would fill a need at inside linebacker. Anthony had 16 official visits at the combine and the first team he met with was Green Bay. I was informed Anthony is a favorite of defensive coordinator Dom Capers.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    I assume then that Anthony's number one attribute is getting everyone lined up properly?
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

I'm trying to figure out a way we can get Eli Harold, Stephone Anthony and Eric Rowe. I don't see it, but getting two of those three would be sweet.

i wouldn't mind trading out of the first (if possible seeings how everyone wants out because the backend of the first sucks), taking anthony with the 1st second round pick a nice cb with the other second rounder

then draft maybe paul dawson with the 3rd

then draft 1 olineman and 1 d lineman with the 4th and 5th rounders, then TT can do whatever the hell he wants with all the other picks

that gives us a cover ILB, and a beast thumper with a mean streak

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    I like Anthony just fine... just don't think he's nearly as dynamic an athlete as McKinney.

Besides, I read somewhere that Dunderdummy likes Anthony a lot - that is a serious knock against him. If Spraypaintedhair likes him, there has to something seriously wrong with the guy
    its funny, because when i look at those game films of mckinney, the last word that would come to my mind is "dynamic"

you would expect a guy that big and strong and fast to be dominating the game, and he just isn't. he's just kinda there. and his play speed actually looks slower then other ILB's like dawson, anthony and perryman

theres a reason why mckinney is being compared to aaron curry, someone is gonna overdraft this guy based on his look and combine, and they are gonna get a very "blah" player

here's some games of him

McKinney had a pretty pedestrian combine. Curry was a combine wonder. McKinney looks athletically limited to me, but I like his instincts. In short, the exact opposite situation as Curry, from my perspective. And, no, I don't want McKinney at 30.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    McKinney had a pretty pedestrian combine. Curry was a combine wonder. McKinney looks athletically limited to me, but I like his instincts. In short, the exact opposite situation as Curry, from my perspective. And, no, I don't want McKinney at 30.
    I was just curious who you were referencing above.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    Aaron Curry. Big time bust.

aaron curry

#4 overall pick in the 2009 draft. he only lasted 4 years in the league

some "experts" are comparing McKinney to Curry

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    i don't know about that. curry was the butkus award winner his last year and was a first team all american

his combine numbers were

40- 4.56
    25 reps
    37 inch vert
    124 inch broad
    7.15 3 cone
    4.51 - 20 yard shuttle

mckinney had

4.66 - 40
    16 reps (really just 16?)
    40.5 inch vert
    121 inch broad
    7.21 - 3 cone
    4.27 - 20 yard shuttle

hard to call either one a workout wonder i guess

Using the six most important measurables for ILBs, Anthony ranked well ahead of McKinney. Its the same kinda spread for the 3 most important Combine tests (20 yd shuttle, 40 and 3 cone), Anthony 14 to McKinney's 31.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Same source, rankings in position group for six most important attributes. (Note No. 1: No points were awarded for the 10-yard times because they so closely corresponded to the 40-yard times. Note No. 2: Again, the long shuttle was not included because times are not available for every prospect.)

Code:
    PLAYER		40 (10)	3-CONE	20 S	ARM	BROAD	BENCH	VERT	TOTAL
    Steph. Anthony	2 (1)	5	2	5	3	5	4	26
    Jordan Hicks	9 (3)	3	4	6	1	8	2	33
    Eric Kendricks	5 (2)	9	3	11	1	11	2	42
    Kwon Alexander	1 (3)	9	6	15	4	4	6	45
    Ben Heeney	3 (7)	1	1	13	6	11	10	45
    Edmond Robinson	5 (7)	15	11	1	4	8	4	48
    B. McKinney	8 (10)	12	8	3	6	15	1	53
    Bryce Hager	4 (5)	11	10	9	9	3	7	54
    Jake Ryan	7 (9)	8	6	11	6	8	9	55
    Mike Hull	9 (5)	4	4	14	13	1	14	59
    Denzel Perryman	12 (13)	5	12	7	11	2	11	60
    Ramik Wilson	11 (12)	14	15	3	11	5	7	66
    Taiwan Jones	15 (15)	13	9	1	10	11	11	70
    Paul Dawson	14 (14)	2	14	8	15	7	15	75
    Hayes Pullard	12 (11)	5	12	10	13	11	13	76
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    its funny, because when i look at those game films of mckinney, the last word that would come to my mind is "dynamic"

you would expect a guy that big and strong and fast to be dominating the game, and he just isn't. he's just kinda there. and his play speed actually looks slower then other ILB's like dawson, anthony and perryman

theres a reason why mckinney is being compared to aaron curry, someone is gonna overdraft this guy based on his look and combine, and they are gonna get a very "blah" player

here's some games of him

I don't know what you're looking at Red... put on entire game tapes, and you might go the entire game without a given positional player making many plays. The A&M game, MSU had such a lead that A&M did nothing but pass from the 2nd Q on. He got juked by the QB in the open field on one play, and missed a tackle that I noticed, but other than that the ball didn't come near him enough to say he didn't do enough.

He dropped in coverage pretty well, generally took good angles, made the plays that were there for him to make... one of the knocks on him has been that with all of his athletic talent, he should make more plays.

As for the strength issue - give him a year in an NFL weight room and training program, and that guy has the potential to be a beast.

As I said, I like Anthony too, but I think McKinney has much more upside. I'd be okay with McKinney in the 1st round, but would want to trade back if it were Anthony.
    wist

i wouldn't want either one in the 1st but i also don't think either one will last until our second round pick. so we either need to reach or trade down, and like i mentioned earlier, if it is true that some teams and scouts only think there are 20 or so first round talents, then trading back might be a hard thing to do

Huh... McKinney tested better than I thought he would/could... I half retract my statements.

Blog Entries
    I really like McKinney as well............so with Wist and I agreeing...he might be shot

We need to bring a lil nasty back to this defense IMO
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

I think the main difference between McKinney and Anthony is athleticism in terms of being able to turn and run, i.e. Anthony is stiff in the hips, and doesn't change direction as smoothly as McKinney.

Maybe that doesn't show up in the cone drill, and the shuttle, but it is certainly evident in how they look on the field. Anthony did manage to make some plays in coverage in college, but the NFL is a different animal - all other things being equal, each get some good coaching, and each work hard in the strength and conditioning programs they're in - I think McKinney has more upside.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I said earlier, the guy I'm really intrigued by is Mauldin. I really could see him stepping in and being an effective role player this year, and replacing Peppers in '16. I've read some of the reports on him that knock his athleticism, but anyone who can back flip like that, and can bend the corner the way he can - that's plenty enough evidence of being a good athlete. I don't see him being stiff at all for a guy his size.

CBSSportsline has him as the 90th ranked player - which would put him in the 3rd round, but I could definitely see him going in the 2nd; and given that we pick at the end of the round - I"d take him in the 2nd round. Don't think he'll be there for sure by our pick in the 3rd - might not be there at our pick in the 2nd??
    wist

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Per a Seattle Post Intelligencer article from May 2013 with a snippet quoting Aaron Curry, who at the time of the article was trying to catch on with the Giants:

Now Curry is hoping to find a home with the New York Giants, who signed him to a one-year deal earlier this month. And that’s why he recently spoke with The New York Times about his hopes to revive his bust of an NFL career.

“I knew I could do it,” Curry told the NYT’s Tom Pedulla of his first chance with the Seahawks. “I knew I would do it. At the time, I wasn’t motivated to do it. Football wasn’t my top priority, to be honest.”

“I think earlier in my career I was real selfish and self-centered,” he added. “I was more about me than the Seahawks.”

Thank goodness for the rookie wage scale. This joker got $34 mil. guaranteed. Hopefully none of the Packers targets are like this.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Per a Seattle Post Intelligencer article from May 2013 with a snippet quoting Aaron Curry, who at the time of the article was trying to catch on with the Giants:

Now Curry is hoping to find a home with the New York Giants, who signed him to a one-year deal earlier this month. And that’s why he recently spoke with The New York Times about his hopes to revive his bust of an NFL career.

“I knew I could do it,” Curry told the NYT’s Tom Pedulla of his first chance with the Seahawks. “I knew I would do it. At the time, I wasn’t motivated to do it. Football wasn’t my top priority, to be honest.”

“I think earlier in my career I was real selfish and self-centered,” he added. “I was more about me than the Seahawks.”

Thank goodness for the rookie wage scale. This joker got $34 mil. guaranteed. Hopefully none of the Packers targets are like this.
    This is why the "character" issue is so important... and something we as fans really can't have a handle on. We can't sit across from them and determine if they are actually just a con man looking to get paid, and then mail it in.
    wist

There were reports that Curry had shit for instincts and that he was not able to properly digest a playbook. He was gifted physically, but his problems were from the neck up. (traditional) Linebackers, safeties, and quarterbacks are very neck-up positions, relative to the rest of players. Obviously, you need the tools, but you also need to be able to use them.

Blog Entries
    I'm strongly with Red and Harvey on McKinney. Watching the game cutups that Red posted, McKinney has heavy feet. He's reliable in the middle of the field where he can bounce off a block using his arm length (though his strength to disengage is a concern at the next level) and doesn't have to change direction to make a tackle but is pretty easily juked in space because he struggles to break down with balance and control since he runs with bigger, more lunging strides.

His combine numbers back up what's on tape. That's a backer who may be OK as a blitzer when there's a statue standing back in the pocket and who will play well between the tackles holding runners to short gains. But that's not an impact linebacker on the field IMO. Not the kind of sideline to sideline playmaker this defense needs. Anyone with moves is going to separate from him quickly.
    Last edited by vince; 04-21-2015 at 07:45 AM.