Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
I'm strongly with Red and Harvey on McKinney. Watching the game cutups that Red posted, McKinney has heavy feet. He's reliable in the middle of the field where he can bounce off a block using his arm length (though his strength to disengage is a concern at the next level) and doesn't have to change direction to make a tackle but is pretty easily juked in space because he struggles to break down with balance and control since he runs with bigger, more lunging strides.

His combine numbers back up what's on tape. That's a backer who may be OK as a blitzer when there's a statue standing back in the pocket and who will play well between the tackles holding runners to short gains. But that's not an impact linebacker on the field IMO. Not the kind of sideline to sideline playmaker this defense needs. Anyone with moves is going to separate from him quickly.
Heavy feet??

Good grief what are you guys looking at??

If anything, he is the closest thing to a potential Urlacher type player in the draft... I certainly wouldn't put him in Urlacher's class, but he's got outstanding sideline to sideline ability. As of now he might not be the best ILB in the draft, but he has the most upside b/c of his size/speed/athletic ability.

Some people think McKinney is a bit of tease b/c everyone thinks he should be making more plays b/c of all that ability - and I'd agree with that; but, I think you muscle him up, and coach him up, he has the ability to be the best ILB in this class.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for some of the other guys in this class... I like a lot of them. I like Anthony and Perryman next behind McKinney. Then Hendricks... don't like Dawson at all.

Dawson was productive in college, but good God did he perform poorly in workouts. Think Hendricks is maxed out ala AJ Hawk when he came out... think Hendricks is better than Hawk though.

Further down, I liked Hager... just wish he was bigger. Has great instincts and ran well though.