Thread: OFFICIAL 2015 NFL DRAFT THREAD

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I think the main difference between McKinney and Anthony is athleticism in terms of being able to turn and run, i.e. Anthony is stiff in the hips, and doesn't change direction as smoothly as McKinney.

Maybe that doesn't show up in the cone drill, and the shuttle, but it is certainly evident in how they look on the field. Anthony did manage to make some plays in coverage in college, but the NFL is a different animal - all other things being equal, each get some good coaching, and each work hard in the strength and conditioning programs they're in - I think McKinney has more upside.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I said earlier, the guy I'm really intrigued by is Mauldin. I really could see him stepping in and being an effective role player this year, and replacing Peppers in '16. I've read some of the reports on him that knock his athleticism, but anyone who can back flip like that, and can bend the corner the way he can - that's plenty enough evidence of being a good athlete. I don't see him being stiff at all for a guy his size.

CBSSportsline has him as the 90th ranked player - which would put him in the 3rd round, but I could definitely see him going in the 2nd; and given that we pick at the end of the round - I"d take him in the 2nd round. Don't think he'll be there for sure by our pick in the 3rd - might not be there at our pick in the 2nd??
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    I think the main difference between McKinney and Anthony is athleticism in terms of being able to turn and run, i.e. Anthony is stiff in the hips, and doesn't change direction as smoothly as McKinney.

Maybe that doesn't show up in the cone drill, and the shuttle, but it is certainly evident in how they look on the field. Anthony did manage to make some plays in coverage in college, but the NFL is a different animal - all other things being equal, each get some good coaching, and each work hard in the strength and conditioning programs they're in - I think McKinney has more upside.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I said earlier, the guy I'm really intrigued by is Mauldin. I really could see him stepping in and being an effective role player this year, and replacing Peppers in '16. I've read some of the reports on him that knock his athleticism, but anyone who can back flip like that, and can bend the corner the way he can - that's plenty enough evidence of being a good athlete. I don't see him being stiff at all for a guy his size.

CBSSportsline has him as the 90th ranked player - which would put him in the 3rd round, but I could definitely see him going in the 2nd; and given that we pick at the end of the round - I"d take him in the 2nd round. Don't think he'll be there for sure by our pick in the 3rd - might not be there at our pick in the 2nd??
    see, i see the exact opposite. mckinney looks like a robot to me. and it seems like me and vince aren't alone on this one

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profil...ney?id=2552490

WEAKNESSES Plays high and is lacking suddenness. High center of gravity causes clunky change of direction in space. Foot quickness in tight quarters is below average and limiting. Instincts against run are there, but tends to fight his feet and marginal agility. Has trouble clearing the trash near his feet and labors against cut blocks, losing lateral momentum. Potential liability against the pass. Looks stiff when asked to cover in space and gives away too much separation to routes in his area in zone coverage.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...drick-mckinney

WEAKNESSES: Limited hand technique. Attempts to slip past blockers, rather than showing the aggression and strength to truly stack and shed. Not a sudden mover. Lacks ideal range. While intelligent, he can be late to recognize plays and ends up a step late to the action. Slow to recover from missteps. Loses sight of the quarterback to turn and run with receivers.

Compares To: Aaron Curry, retired: Like the No. 4 overall pick in 2009, McKinney possesses remarkable size, explosiveness and general athleticism. There are concerns about McKinney's awareness, especially in coverage. He's athletic enough to project to any linebacker role but may never become a star.