Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 ... LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL 2015 NFL DRAFT THREAD

I find it interesting that Paul Dawson's 3 cone is so much better than all the rest of his metrics. We know he's strong. Hmm...

Blog Entries
    Yeah there's a lot of interesting stuff in there. Thanks for providing that PB, along with all the other great info/posts you deliver.

Hicks is a guy that would worry me. Good numbers. Steady but relatively unimpactful play. Reports say he's a good leader. Has some pretty major injury history. A poor man's Hawk without the availability?

I'm fully onboard with Maxie's mancrush on Anthony. Great numbers and I think he's a playmaker. I don't think it's a good idea to fall in love with just one guy though. Tunnel vision leads to trouble in the draft. Kendrick's also a rangy guy, who can do it all.

Then there's Dawson and Perryman, both of whom I think are much better in pads than underwear and play faster than they time. Strong football instincts and aggressiveness. Both would likely be a serious upgrade for Green Bay.

Add Heeney into the mix who has everything you want but lacks the ideal size and arm length that Landers refers to in his study. He may need more from the D-line to keep him clean inside but if that could happen he could be a bit of a sleeper.

Alexander also lacks the size/arm length and doesn't have the 3-cone/shuttle quickness you're looking for but is tops in straight-line speed. Reports say he's an athlete but lacks instincts and shows a lot of wasted steps before diagnosing. Poor fundamentals when tackling and tends to over-run plays when flowing. I haven't seen much of him but that doesn't sound like a guy you'd be looking at unless he drops to the bottom of the draft, hoping he can learn.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Here's what I would do if I was Gen. Mgr. of the Packers. Of course, TT will not draft any of these guys...with possibly two exceptions.

I picked these players on the basis of six criteria: 1) Improve ILB speed and playmaking ability against the run and pass; 2) Improve CB physicality and attitude against the run and not sacrifice coverage; 3) Improve 3rd down and red zone options, especially via the pass; 4) Improve defensive line against the run; 5) Improve special teams; and 6) Improve team speed in general.

(Quotes below are from NFL Draft Tracker: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015?icampa...eventpage-home)

30: R1P30
    ILB STEPHONE ANTHONY ILB 6'3" 243
    CLEMSON
    Has desired build for position. Good play speed and is generally under control. Steady, consistent tackler when he's squared up. Has speed to chase to the sidelines and finish the play. Able to cover tight ends in passing game. Breaks to ball quickly against pass. Flashes ball skills and will play through pass-catchers. Features traits to be a more effective blitzer if called upon. Will compete through whistle and is physical against skill-position players. Lost job as junior and regained starting position with hard work and good attitude. Can cover ground laterally.
    It all begins with Stephone Anthony. He's quick, fast, a good tackler, can cover and has size and attitude. The Pack has no playmaker like him on the inside. He's gonna be an All Pro some day. Just watch the tape (Yes, Vince, it's a man crush): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRcYu-RD68Q

62: R2P30
    CB P.J. WILLIAMS CB 6'0" 194
    FLORIDA STATE
    Cover cornerback with the talent to play on an island, and the swagger to regroup and forget when beaten. Williams can cover outside or from the slot, and has potential to come in and start right away for an aggressive man-cover defense. With consistency of effort, Williams could become the best cornerback to come out of this draft.
    He's a 1st rounder that will fall to the 2nd round and the Pack because of a DUI!. He can cover, has size, is physical and can tackle. I like him on tape. I've watched him at Florida State. Guy plays with attitude and is a winner. The DUI? No problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYbGt6PgiNQ

94: R3P30
    RB DAVID JOHNSON RB 6'1" 224
    NORTHERN IOWA

Who better than a former wide receiver to throw to out of the backfield? Johnson broke several school receiving records in high school, but quickly outgrew the position and is now a 225-pound rusher whose hands are as soft as any back in the draft. Johnson impressed NFL coaches and scouts at the Senior Bowl in January with his ability to catch the ball. Look for Johnson to be picked in the middle rounds, ahead of bigger names from bigger schools.
    After watching his tape, I can't help being reminded of Dorsey Levens. He's about the same size, runs like Dorsey, is a mudder, is fast and has great hands. He'd make a great 3rd down/red zone weapon, just as Dorsey was. See the catch he makes at 4:07 in this video and tell me who he reminds you of: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LKaerKR8Ro

129: R4P30
    CB JACOREY SHEPHERD CB 5'11" 199
    KANSAS

"He gets sloppy with his feet and technique, but I think he can play. You don't make that many plays on the ball because of luck. You make that many plays because you have a great feel for it." -- NFC college director of scouting
    He's also a KR. All the guy does is make plays: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vTw9dbY2XQ
    166: R5P30

WR DARREN WALLER WR 6'6" 238
    GEORGIA TECH

Late bloomer who is faster than quick and has coveted size-speed combination. Waller isn't just a tall receiver, he has legitimate hands and body control and can impose his size on mismatched cornerbacks. Waller has a low floor, but with a little more competitive fire and technique work, he could become a legitimate touchdown maker in the league.
    He's a wide receiver but I think his value to the Pack is at TE. Waller reminds me of Jermichael Finley. He's about the same size but faster. Runs the 40 in 4.46. He'll be our threat down the seam. He'll bring an exiciting dimension to 3rd down and red zone offense. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jex4aA4BLXI

206: R6P30
    OT JAMON BROWN OT 6'4" 323
    LOUISVILLE

Intriguing tackle/guard prospect. His mass and athletic limitations are best-suited inside and his quickness off the snap could be an indicator that Brown's best football could be ahead of him. With a wider base and better body control, Brown could become a starting guard or potential tackle in power scheme.
    This man is not only fat, he's got the versatility that TT likes.

210: R6P34
    CB NICK MARSHALL CB 6'1" 207
    AUBURN

He had a stellar year as a quarterback for the Tigers, and AU coach Gus Malzahn has said he believes Marshall could play that position at the pro level. He completed 178 of 293 passes (60 percent) for 2,532 yards and 20 touchdowns, with only seven interceptions. He also took four fewer sacks, in 59 more pass attempts, than he did as a junior.
    Am I the only person in Packerland that thinks Marshall could be Rodgers' backup, a backup that will give us a better chance of winning if Arod goes down again? The guy has a strong arm and is as mobile as Marcus Mariota. His college coach calls him the best zone read QB in the country. And if he washes out at QB, he plays a decent CB. He acquitted himself well as a physical corner in the Senior Bowl. Some see him as a safety. Did I mention he also returns punts? I say put him under Stubby's wing and let him play QB: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSwWUhPQ_4Q

213: R6P37
    CB JUSTIN COLEMAN CB 5'11" 185
    TENNESSEE

Played outside contain on kickoff coverage...Plays with energy and confidence and is a good finisher in run support. Has desired instincts and awareness in coverage, but lacks athleticism to match up against quicker targets in man coverage. Could be tough to cut based on toughness and ability to play on special teams.
    Vince convinced me he's worth a draft pick. The guy can run, can cover and is physical. Plus, he's got decent size. Also, he posted the best 3-cone time at the combine and "the cone means everything," to quote Fritz: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aueQzQXDR2U

247: R7P30
    DT LETERRIUS WALTON DT 6'5" 319
    CENTRAL MICHIGAN

Ascending player. Former offensive lineman who has shown improvement with each passing season. Big man who flashes talent to penetrate and can win with explosive get-off. Good athlete for a big, inside player. Quick hands that should become more explosive with work. Will cruise down the line chasing run plays. Discipline in pass rush and maintains lane integrity...High-motor interior lineman who could become a five-technique in a 3-4 defense with more technique work. Walton has the traits to become an above-average player against the run and should be able to play in both odd and even fronts... "I have a feeling he's going to be one of those guys who ends up being an NFL player that nobody sees coming. He was a baseball and basketball player, which means he has good hands and feet. More coaching might be able to unlock an NFL player." -- AFC West scout
    An athletic and explosive big man that TT will draft before the 7th round. You can take that to the bank: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGwJJzetF_s
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Blog Entries
    That would be sweet indeed. Jones, Rowe and Johnson are the CBs who I think fit the best for GB. Rowe's probably the only one with a chance to drop to the bottom of the 2nd. My mock would have Teddy pulling off a trade-up in the 2nd to get Rowe. I think Rowe has a higher ceiling than Williams but Williams may be more NFL ready right now.

What's your thinking for taking 4 corners? BPA? I gotta believe 4 corners already on the roster are locks for spots. There's definitely room for 2 more but even at that you have 6 young guys who are all presumably still getting better.

Love the David Johnson pick. Starks will be 30 soon and that's a big spot that'll need to be filled after this year. Worst case is Johnson gets a red-shirt year and is ready to step in. He may be the absolute perfect guy for that scenario.

And another creative, Ted-like pick with Waller. He'll need to learn how to block as an H-Back but big and fast target down the seam would be just about the last thing this offense needs.

Also love the guard project.

If these guys all panned out like their potential suggests (never happens obviously), other than using one or two of the CB picks to trade up to land Rowe vs. Williams, since two of the CB picks probably can't make the roster anyway (no idea which ones that'd be), this would be a grand slam draft in my book.

What would you do Maxie, if Anthony's already off the board at 30?

Can't wait for the draft. It's one of my favorite weekends of the year.

First of all, Vince, thanks for your comments.

Re: Jones, Rowe, Johnson...I like them too but they weren't available when I mock drafted "On the Clock." Who knows how the actual draft will pan out. I picked Williams because I'm most familiar with him. The other guys I picked from film and availability. Picking RB Johnson limits later picks. You may be right in trading up.

Re: Drafting Four CB's...I consider Marshall a QB first, then probably a safety. Have you seen his QB video? Surely he can make the team as the third QB, maybe even the second. Drafting a third CB may be overkill, especially if a trade up can be done.

Re: Waller...He's so much like Finley it's scary...even drops the easy ones like Finley. (I don't think he's a head case though. He's used to blocking 90% of the time with Georgia Tech.)

Re: Anthony being off the board at 30...That would be real bad news. That's where I'd trade up to prevent that happening. If TT can't get Anthony drafted, I guess I'd go with Dawson and pray he's not a head case. He looks good on film despite his Combine blowup. He's got good quickness and instincts. I really don't like Perryman, even though I've seen him play many times (my wife's a huge Miami fan). He's a thumper but is too short and too subject to mismatches by backs and TE's. Kendricks would be fine, but he'll go before Anthony more than likely. McKinney just strikes me as having heavy legs. He's way overrated IMO.

By the way, all the mocks I've done have turned out best by selecting Anthony 1st. He's always number 45 or so on the big boards and never survives to our second round. Dallas, Indianapolis, San Francisco and Pittsburgh are all buyers in a tight market.

One more thing, take a look at this video of Jeff Luc. The guy is the king of all thumpers but has the rep of being "muscle-bound," ie, slow and unathletic. You watch this video though and you see the guy plays fast and quick for his size. Plus, he forces fumbles like a machine. I might just bring him into camp for look...TT might even draft him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhfFNRQN92c and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eepWXJywEOs

Re: Draft Week...Bring it on! I love every minute of it.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.

Packer Report on Quarterbacks in the 2015 Draft. Its a freebie, so no extensive quoting needed.

http://t.co/PqjenqcxcZ

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 9h9 hours ago
    Scouting the Draft series begins with Quarterbacks. FREE and very long. #packers http://gnb.scout.com/story/1538550-s...rterbacks?s=61
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

His experience in the pistol and his athleticism would appeal to McCarthy.
    If this is true, Stubby HAS to be looking at Nick Marshall, who isn't even mentioned in the Scouting Report.

Plus, Bryan Bennett is a Favre clone...period. Are we ready for another Favre? I say bring him on.

Five questions with former SLU QB Bryan Bennett at the NFL Scouting Combine

Who were your favorite quarterbacks growing up?

"I had a Brett Favre jersey, always looked up to Brett Favre. I just like he was out there, gunslinger, throw it around, had a really strong arm. I liked that when I was a kid. I still have a lot of respect for him. You can tell he was always a great competitor and now watching some of these guys that have had success, Aaron Rodgers, his ability to both throw the ball and be an athlete.
    The guy is the same size as Favre and plays like Favre too...
    A late addition to the Senior Bowl, Bennett completed five of 10 passes for 80 yards with two interceptions.

From NFL Draft Tracker:
    Strengths

Very good athlete. Posted impressive 37-inch vertical and 10-foot-5 broad jump at the NFL Scouting Combine. Played behind Marcus Mariota at Oregon to begin his career. Has ability to hurt defenses as a scrambler and on running plays. Looks the part. Smooth, effortless release. Arm strength is no issue. Can put pepper on seam throws. Shows hints of being able to make anticipatory throws into tight windows. When able, will shuffle from pocket, keeping his eyes downfield and scanning for an open target. Weaknesses

Accuracy and ball placement are problematic. Needed short passing attack to bolster completion percentage in 2013 and saw that number fall to 49.5 percent as a senior. Footwork gets sloppy and a lack of willingness to step into throws when pocket inverts causes balls to sail. Showed signs of dropping eyes when facing interior penetration, including A*-gap blitzes. Must improve willingness to get through progressions. Can be stubborn with unwillingness to come off initial target, often throwing into traffic.
    Bennett would be another project for Stubby, but heck, Stubby has more time on his hands now. Maybe the Pack could hire Holmgren as a consultant.

So he's #3 instead of #4, watch this video and tell me Bennett doesn't remind you of Bart (see especially starting at the 13 second mark...uncanny foreshadowing????????????)...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDw0oTkwJe8

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    First of all, Vince, thanks for your comments.

Re: Jones, Rowe, Johnson...I like them too but they weren't available when I mock drafted "On the Clock." Who knows how the actual draft will pan out. I picked Williams because I'm most familiar with him. The other guys I picked from film and availability. Picking RB Johnson limits later picks. You may be right in trading up.

Re: Drafting Four CB's...I consider Marshall a QB first, then probably a safety. Have you seen his QB video? Surely he can make the team as the third QB, maybe even the second. Drafting a third CB may be overkill, especially if a trade up can be done.

Re: Waller...He's so much like Finley it's scary...even drops the easy ones like Finley. (I don't think he's a head case though. He's used to blocking 90% of the time with Georgia Tech.)

Re: Anthony being off the board at 30...That would be real bad news. That's where I'd trade up to prevent that happening. If TT can't get Anthony drafted, I guess I'd go with Dawson and pray he's not a head case. He looks good on film despite his Combine blowup. He's got good quickness and instincts. I really don't like Perryman, even though I've seen him play many times (my wife's a huge Miami fan). He's a thumper but is too short and too subject to mismatches by backs and TE's. Kendricks would be fine, but he'll go before Anthony more than likely. McKinney just strikes me as having heavy legs. He's way overrated IMO.

By the way, all the mocks I've done have turned out best by selecting Anthony 1st. He's always number 45 or so on the big boards and never survives to our second round. Dallas, Indianapolis, San Francisco and Pittsburgh are all buyers in a tight market.

One more thing, take a look at this video of Jeff Luc. The guy is the king of all thumpers but has the rep of being "muscle-bound," ie, slow and unathletic. You watch this video though and you see the guy plays fast and quick for his size. Plus, he forces fumbles like a machine. I might just bring him into camp for look...TT might even draft him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhfFNRQN92c and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eepWXJywEOs

Re: Draft Week...Bring it on! I love every minute of it.
    i couldnt get a read on Marshall. One throw's a duck with little rotation on the ball. That won't work in Green Bay. The next looks strong and accurate. Perhaps its the inconsistency that is causing scouts to project him to db. He could be an injury waiting to happen on the run as high as he runs.

I watched Luc awhile back and had written him off somewhat at that time because I remember him looking big and slow. Now I watch again and I think he moves ok. Most ILB's struggle to run with speed down the seam and he's no exception but I'd love to see his physicality out there. He seems to have a natural football clock and can see plays are developing really quickly. He gets to the ball with good timing - and does a nice job of batting it out too which is huge. He's got some badass in him.

1st Round - Benardrick Mckinney, ILB, MSU

Analysis: Depends on how the draft falls. Seems to be a lot of volatility as far as where a lot of guys are valued. Heard more than 1 commentator say they think there are only about 20 true 1st round players in the draft, and then about 35-40 2nd round players.

If that is the case, I'd like to see us trade back - but as far as filling our biggest need, with a player I really like, I'd be okay with McKinney in the 1st round if we stay put.

2nd Round - Lorenzo Mauldin, LB, Louisville

Would like to trade back with either the 1st or 2nd round pick and come away with 2 3rd round picks. Like Mauldin moving forward, would need work in coverage. Don't know how flexible he'd be.

3rd Round - Garrett Grayson, QB, Colorado State

If he's there, he'd be a very good developmental prospect.

4th Round - Josh Shaw, CB, USC

Might drop b/c of the off field nonsense - who knows what to make of that. Might be a character risk. Has talent.

5th round - Christian Covington, DT, Rice

Stout, effective all-around defensive linemen. Injuries are a concern. He's short at 6'2", but has long arms and uses his hands well.
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    If this is true, Stubby HAS to be looking at Nick Marshall, who isn't even mentioned in the Scouting Report.

Plus, Bryan Bennett is a Favre clone...period. Are we ready for another Favre? I say bring him on.
    He looks really raw. His footwork is terrible. He seems similar to Ingle Martin and Rhett Bomar. All got beat out at major colleges (Florida, Oklahoma, Oregon) and transferred to FCS (Furman, Sam Houston State, SE Louisiana). Like those guys, he seems to have size, arm strength, and mobility but lacks the accuracy (because of poor mechanics) and pocket poise to make it in the NFL.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post

Analysis: Depends on how the draft falls. Seems to be a lot of volatility as far as where a lot of guys are valued. Heard more than 1 commentator say they think there are only about 20 true 1st round players in the draft, and then about 35-40 2nd round players.

If that is the case, I'd like to see us trade back - but as far as filling our biggest need, with a player I really like, I'd be okay with McKinney in the 1st round if we stay put.

Would like to trade back with either the 1st or 2nd round pick and come away with 2 3rd round picks. Like Mauldin moving forward, would need work in coverage. Don't know how flexible he'd be.

Might drop b/c of the off field nonsense - who knows what to make of that. Might be a character risk. Has talent.

Stout, effective all-around defensive linemen. Injuries are a concern. He's short at 6'2", but has long arms and uses his hands well.
    I haven't paid as much attention as I normally do to the draft, but I know I'd hate this draft. I'm not a fan of McKinney and I don't want a QB in the third round.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    I haven't paid as much attention as I normally do to the draft, but I know I'd hate this draft. I'm not a fan of McKinney and I don't want a QB in the third round.
    What don't you like about McKinney??

Could see Mauldin being an Elephant OLB... would be another versatile piece to the defensive front.

There are some other LB's I like... I'd be okay with Anthony in the 1st round... As for CB, Shaw has more talent than a 4th round pick, but he might drop b/c of the off field stuff.

Grayson has a chance to be a very good QB... I wouldn't normally advocate taking a QB that early with a franchise QB under center, but Rodgers won't play forever, and Grayson could develop into either a tradable piece, or a season saver should Rodgers go down.

I really like Covington... he has a lot of ability, an Aaron Donald type, he's just been plagued by injuries - certainly worth a flyer in the 5th.

Our main weaknesses are ILB and CB... the draft I threw out there addresses those weaknesses I think.
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Gotta tell ya, the more I look at the mock draft I put together there, the more I think it is unlikely that those players will be available where I proposed... that said, I like all those guys, and would more than thrilled to come away with that draft.

Foxsports has those prospects ranked at

McKinney - 42
    Mauldin - 117
    Grayson - 112
    Shaw - 100
    Covington - 90

Of course opinions are all over the place... other sites have those guys swapped around quite a bit, but we pick at 30, 62, 94, 129, and 166 in those rounds... my mock look pretty damn good

I think Mauldin and Covington are both underrated... Covington is an injury concern, so he depends on the medical evaluation.
    wist

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...ephone-anthony

Let's draft two just to be sure! Stephone Anthony and Paul Dawson!!
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

I think we could trade back a handful of apots to a team interested in a 5th year option on their guy and take Anthony at the top of the 2nd round...

Packer Report's free WR preview, he says it covers first three rounds of prospects.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 52m52 minutes ago
    Scouting the Draft: Wide Receivers .. FREE look at first three rounds with scouting opinions #Packers http://gnb.scout.com/story/1539025-s...NNQTE8.twitter

Here are the other freebies, all Rounds 1-3:

RBs: http://gnb.scout.com/story/1538768-s...ing-backs?s=61

QBs: http://gnb.scout.com/story/1538550-s...rterbacks?s=61

OK, he is saying the WRs are Part 4, but I am only seeing 3. Also, RB seems to be behind the paywall.
    Last edited by pbmax; 04-20-2015 at 10:18 AM.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

anyone watch or no anything on Taiwan Jones?

he sounds like an intriguing guy and a nice possible mid round pick to go along with whatever ILB we draft earlier

Jones is a true downhill linebacker with more than enough length, strength and girth to come in and start immediately for a NFL team running a 3-4 defense. With better field awareness, he could develop into a solid starter in a scheme that requires him to primarily focus on the run game.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...8/taiwan-jones

Anybody else look at Mauldin??

I think the guy has big upside - would be a good in rotation with Peppers, and when Peppers is gone, take over that spot.

Guy has a high motor... pretty wicked back flip there, lol...
    Last edited by wist43; 04-20-2015 at 11:22 AM.
    wist

ok, as we get closer to the draft more gamefilm is hitting the net

i'll start off with a guy everyone seems to like stephone anthony

I like Anthony just fine... just don't think he's nearly as dynamic an athlete as McKinney.

Besides, I read somewhere that Dunderdummy likes Anthony a lot - that is a serious knock against him. If Spraypaintedhair likes him, there has to something seriously wrong with the guy
    wist