Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 ... LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL 2015 NFL DRAFT THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    I'm strongly with Red and Harvey on McKinney. Watching the game cutups that Red posted, McKinney has heavy feet. He's reliable in the middle of the field where he can bounce off a block using his arm length (though his strength to disengage is a concern at the next level) and doesn't have to change direction to make a tackle but is pretty easily juked in space because he struggles to break down with balance and control since he runs with bigger, more lunging strides.

His combine numbers back up what's on tape. That's a backer who may be OK as a blitzer when there's a statue standing back in the pocket and who will play well between the tackles holding runners to short gains. But that's not an impact linebacker on the field IMO. Not the kind of sideline to sideline playmaker this defense needs. Anyone with moves is going to separate from him quickly.
    Heavy feet??

Good grief what are you guys looking at??

If anything, he is the closest thing to a potential Urlacher type player in the draft... I certainly wouldn't put him in Urlacher's class, but he's got outstanding sideline to sideline ability. As of now he might not be the best ILB in the draft, but he has the most upside b/c of his size/speed/athletic ability.

Some people think McKinney is a bit of tease b/c everyone thinks he should be making more plays b/c of all that ability - and I'd agree with that; but, I think you muscle him up, and coach him up, he has the ability to be the best ILB in this class.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for some of the other guys in this class... I like a lot of them. I like Anthony and Perryman next behind McKinney. Then Hendricks... don't like Dawson at all.

Dawson was productive in college, but good God did he perform poorly in workouts. Think Hendricks is maxed out ala AJ Hawk when he came out... think Hendricks is better than Hawk though.

Further down, I liked Hager... just wish he was bigger. Has great instincts and ran well though.
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    I think the main difference between McKinney and Anthony is athleticism in terms of being able to turn and run, i.e. Anthony is stiff in the hips, and doesn't change direction as smoothly as McKinney.

Maybe that doesn't show up in the cone drill, and the shuttle, but it is certainly evident in how they look on the field. Anthony did manage to make some plays in coverage in college, but the NFL is a different animal - all other things being equal, each get some good coaching, and each work hard in the strength and conditioning programs they're in - I think McKinney has more upside.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I said earlier, the guy I'm really intrigued by is Mauldin. I really could see him stepping in and being an effective role player this year, and replacing Peppers in '16. I've read some of the reports on him that knock his athleticism, but anyone who can back flip like that, and can bend the corner the way he can - that's plenty enough evidence of being a good athlete. I don't see him being stiff at all for a guy his size.

CBSSportsline has him as the 90th ranked player - which would put him in the 3rd round, but I could definitely see him going in the 2nd; and given that we pick at the end of the round - I"d take him in the 2nd round. Don't think he'll be there for sure by our pick in the 3rd - might not be there at our pick in the 2nd??
    see, i see the exact opposite. mckinney looks like a robot to me. and it seems like me and vince aren't alone on this one

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profil...ney?id=2552490

WEAKNESSES Plays high and is lacking suddenness. High center of gravity causes clunky change of direction in space. Foot quickness in tight quarters is below average and limiting. Instincts against run are there, but tends to fight his feet and marginal agility. Has trouble clearing the trash near his feet and labors against cut blocks, losing lateral momentum. Potential liability against the pass. Looks stiff when asked to cover in space and gives away too much separation to routes in his area in zone coverage.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...drick-mckinney

WEAKNESSES: Limited hand technique. Attempts to slip past blockers, rather than showing the aggression and strength to truly stack and shed. Not a sudden mover. Lacks ideal range. While intelligent, he can be late to recognize plays and ends up a step late to the action. Slow to recover from missteps. Loses sight of the quarterback to turn and run with receivers.

Compares To: Aaron Curry, retired: Like the No. 4 overall pick in 2009, McKinney possesses remarkable size, explosiveness and general athleticism. There are concerns about McKinney's awareness, especially in coverage. He's athletic enough to project to any linebacker role but may never become a star.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Mckinney is a lumbering stiff. It looks like he is going through an extensive decision tree every time he changes speed. Observer, reactor, not playmaker.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

I agree that McKinney is slow to react at times... I've read some reports that say he has good instincts, but from what I've seen I don't agree with that.

The thing with McKinney is that any team that drafts him has to think they can coach him beyond the hesitation he shows on film sometimes. McKinney, even though fairly productive, will be drafted more on what he can be than what he was in college.
    wist

Query: wist and the second of red's draft summaries identify the kid in question as an athletic marvel. But he doesn't look like a tremendous athlete at times on tape.

Is the problem that areas he measures best in for his position? Arm length, vertical and broad jump all seem to be better suited at OLB or edge rusher.

Or am I discounting his ability by comparing numbers only (versus film) to the top performers in his class?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Query: wist and the second of red's draft summaries identify the kid in question as an athletic marvel. But he doesn't look like a tremendous athlete at times on tape.

Is the problem that areas he measures best in for his position? Arm length, vertical and broad jump all seem to be better suited at OLB or edge rusher.

Or am I discounting his ability by comparing numbers only (versus film) to the top performers in his class?
    some of the stuff i have read say that he might be best suited as a SAM or an edge rusher

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    I agree that McKinney is slow to react at times... I've read some reports that say he has good instincts, but from what I've seen I don't agree with that.

The thing with McKinney is that any team that drafts him has to think they can coach him beyond the hesitation he shows on film sometimes. McKinney, even though fairly productive, will be drafted more on what he can be than what he was in college.
    now, think about that for a second. do you actually think we have the defensive coaching staff that can coach up an ILB?

and i agree with your assessment there, i agree he's raw but could turn into something decent with the right coaching, but i don't think dom and the boys are capable of doing that

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post

So, what will TT do?

I say he'll draft (everything else being equal) a WR. We need a dynamic 3rd WR (or a 2nd if something goes awry in Cobb re-signing. Boykin to me is a washout and Adams doesn't impress me as a game changer. Abbrederis is coming off IR, but he's not a game changer and lacks size. Then there are the same ole same ole guys on the practice squad, hardly game changers.

On the other hand, there are a bunch of game changing WR's available, one of which will probably fall to GB's draft position.

My favorite: Sammie Coates.

Add Coates to the threesome of Nelson, Cobb and Adams, with Abbrederis in the wings, and you've got the best and deepest receiving corps in the NFL once again.
    The Draft is finally just over 1 week away .....Thurs. April 30, 2015 and ends on
    Saturday, May 2, 2015.

http://www.foxsports.com/wisconsin/s...edition-042115

Green Bay Packers mock draft roundup (April 21 edition)

Round One (1) Thursday evening.... April 30 , 2015:

LB Eric Kendricks, DT Malcom Brown and CB Jalen Collins are possible targets for Green Bay.

Dave Heller - FOX Sports Wisconsin .... APR 21, 2015 4:00p ET

RE: WR Sammi Coate and Maxi the Taxi's post.

" Blessed with mercurial speed for a receiver of his height and build, he might be the elite deep threat in college football. "

The Packers are 'an offense first' team and I agree that TT will go possible game changer in Rd's . 1 - 3. WR prospect Sammie Coates looks like a second Rd. pick.

" Blessed with mercurial speed for a receiver of his height and build, he might be the elite deep threat in college football. " Rob Rang (12/4/14) and Fr. LINK in original post..... by Maxie the Taxi.

So who will....TT pick?

My prediction as it turned out in FA this year and the loss of CB's Tramon Williams and Davon House ....TT will certainly pick a CB (or two) in Rd's 1-4.
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 04-22-2015 at 06:33 AM.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    some of the stuff i have read say that he might be best suited as a MICHAEL SAM or an edge rusher

Fixed.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

It's Anthony or bust for me. Gotta find a way to get him.

Albert Breer reports Todd Gurley medical recheck (5 different teams asked) have gone well. Likely will be available to start Week 1.

Practice before and start the game or just start practicing he doesn't specify.

And this leads us right back to the debate about the NFL rendering its own judgements outside the legal system:

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 36s36 seconds ago
    Greg Hardy suspended 10 games. NFL investigation concludes he used physical force against Nicole Holder in at least four instances ...
    Last edited by pbmax; 04-22-2015 at 03:24 PM.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    PB, I wonder if that means that the Cowboys will just cut him? 10 out of 16 games...man! Sure, his deal is very incentive-laden, but is it even worth it for the 6 games that you'll have him, and all the pub?
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by pittstang5 View Post
    It's Anthony or bust for me. Gotta find a way to get him.
    How do you guys compare Anthony's skills to Kendricks'? Would anyone here be bummed if the Packers selected Kendricks over Anthony?
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    PB, I wonder if that means that the Cowboys will just cut him? 10 out of 16 games...man! Sure, his deal is very incentive-laden, but is it even worth it for the 6 games that you'll have him, and all the pub?
    I think the games available bonuses mean the Cowboys expected something like this. But even if its on the high side for them, they aren't going to reconsider until he appeals.

Rat-A-Tat-Tat Veteran BZnDallas's Avatar
    I would think its worth it. Hardy would be fresh and probably hitting his stide come playoff time. Assuming...... This really helps the cowboys from what I can tell. Now all the money they save not paying him those first 10 games can go elsewhere. 6+ million iI believe.
    Now what y'all know about dem Texas boys
    Comin' down in candied toys, smokin' weed and talkin' noise!!!

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    The Draft is finally just over 1 week away .....Thurs. April 30, 2015 and ends on
    Saturday, May 2, 2015.

http://www.foxsports.com/wisconsin/s...edition-042115

Green Bay Packers mock draft roundup (April 21 edition)

Round One (1) Thursday evening.... April 30 , 2015:

LB Eric Kendricks, DT Malcom Brown and CB Jalen Collins are possible targets for Green Bay.

Dave Heller - FOX Sports Wisconsin .... APR 21, 2015 4:00p ET

RE: WR Sammi Coate and Maxi the Taxi's post.

" Blessed with mercurial speed for a receiver of his height and build, he might be the elite deep threat in college football. "

The Packers are 'an offense first' team and I agree that TT will go possible game changer in Rd's . 1 - 3. WR prospect Sammie Coates looks like a second Rd. pick.

" Blessed with mercurial speed for a receiver of his height and build, he might be the elite deep threat in college football. " Rob Rang (12/4/14) and Fr. LINK in original post..... by Maxie the Taxi.

So who will....TT pick?

My prediction as it turned out in FA this year and the loss of CB's Tramon Williams and Davon House ....TT will certainly pick a CB (or two) in Rd's 1-4.
    The WR I like more than Coates is Nelson Agholor, WR, USC.

I like those other guys too... with Brown first. Be okay with Brown in the 1st I think, I have to look at him some more.

There's a lot of similar talent from about 20-60... would like to see a trade down, unless someone drops. I think there's a log of good 2nd and 3rd round depth.
    wist

Good choice, Wist. Everyone talks about the really flashy, sexy WR's. I think Nelson Agholor is a swiss army knife. His return skills would really help too. I heard him interviewed on Sirius XM and he sounds very articulate, and like a gym rat, football guy, very much into process, route running, and improvement. I hope he slips and that TT is forced to consider drafting him purely out of value. I think he could be one of those guys who blooms in the NFL, especially if he plays with a great QB.

Anyone do any research on Davis Tull, DE/OLB from U.Tenn-Chattanooga. Looks like he played DE but might be trying to make the switch to OLB in a 3-4. His measurables are really good.

I watched some tape and he's relentless. He doesn't always get to the QB, but disrupts the pocket when he doesn't.

Draft sites have him all over the board from a 3-4 Rounder all the way to a FA. Thoughts on this guy?

Blog Entries
    How do you guys compare Anthony's skills to Kendricks'? Would anyone here be bummed if the Packers selected Kendricks over Anthony?
    I'd be happy with either one. I think Kendricks is probably more polished but since Anthony's both bigger and faster, he has a higher ceiling and is more aggressive and willing to take more chances to make plays. Kendricks is the safer pick who does it all but doesn't bring the wood. He reminds me of Nick Barnett (no it's not the nappy fro). Just OK inside but rangy and solid in space. Definitely fills a big hole on this team.

Quote Originally Posted by BZnDallas View Post
    I would think its worth it. Hardy would be fresh and probably hitting his girlfriend come playoff time.
    FIFY
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.