Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL 2015 NFL DRAFT THREAD

Sometimes we make this too complicated. Ted has now traded up enough to dispel that old saw. He has taken for need (Dix) enough that arguing he is purely BPA is foolish.

Ted Rules
    1. If you have 8 players rated the same and can trade down less than 7 slots (plus whatever you can discern about other teams intentions) and get good value for the round, you do it (Lacy).

2. If you can get a higher round talent at a spot of need when you think he won't drop to your next pick, you go up if the price isn't exorbitant (Matthews). The price in picks has to be lower than the value you place on the player. I suspect T2 had a better than end of Round 1 grade on Matthews.

3. You value late picks because it gives you more swings at the fence and means you don't have to get all the UDFAs on your list.

Ted's drafts aren't anything revolutionary (except perhaps success rate). Hoarding of draft picks and eschewing FA are more clearly hallmarks of his approach.

If an ILB drops to a point of ridiculous value like Matthews or Rodgers (maybe Dix?) he will explore trading up. If one falls to him and is at least even with the best talent on the board, he will take that position. This assumes that trading down doesn't make sense.

But he won't betray the rules of value just to take a need position.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    I'd like to make sure we came away with 1 of the following LB's in the first couple of rounds...

Benardrick McKinney
    Stephone Anthony
    Eric Kendricks

All 3 of those guys have their warts, but I'd be okay with any of them if we traded back a few spots... if we stayed put?? Maybe McKinney is okay to take in Rd 1, not sold on Kendricks, but there's enough to like; same thing with Anthony.

The only other guy I like that high, that could move inside would be Shaq Thompson. Listed as a tweener S/OLB... but I could see him functioning well as an ILB - if the team that drafted him made a commitment to keeping him clean.

I don't like Dawson, and I do like Perryman on tape, but they took him out on 3rd down a lot, and he didn't move well at the combine - so I'd be shy of him.

If we look at a CB...

Eric Rowe
    Ronald Darby

I've cooled on Williams b/c he simply doesn't have the speed to match up... if he gets beat early, he stays beat.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other guys on my radar after those major hole fillers...

Would do what it took to land Lorenzo Mauldin... can see him developing into a beast, and stepping in for Peppers full time next year.

In the 2nd/3rd round range I like...

Lorenzo Mauldin, OLB
    Josh Shaw, CB
    Quinten Rollins, CB

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Those are the guys I've looked at the most... I'm sure there are plenty of offensive players I'd be okay with... I've looked at some, but for now I'm focusing on our major needs.

Further down, I have a man-crush on Christian Covington, and would love to see him in Green and Gold. Don't know where his value is now due to medical...

Will keep looking
    I'd be happy with any of those guys especially with a trade back. Kendricks being my favorite simply because he's the safest. I think drafting a guy who just looks the part is a mistake, recent history has rewarded the teams who take the football player over the athlete. The position requires uncoachable instincts and vision at the NFL speed where rookies who aren't that big and aren't that fast can still succeed immediately there. I'd prefer to grab a polished CB like Johnson, and then grab a couple of gamers like Perryman and Mike Hull or Kwon Alexander later in the draft.

No use making a wishlist though because Ted is going to shit on it.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    I'd be happy with any of those guys especially with a trade back. Kendricks being my favorite simply because he's the safest. I think drafting a guy who just looks the part is a mistake, recent history has rewarded the teams who take the football player over the athlete. The position requires uncoachable instincts and vision at the NFL speed where rookies who aren't that big and aren't that fast can still succeed immediately there. I'd prefer to grab a polished CB like Johnson, and then grab a couple of gamers like Perryman and Mike Hull or Kwon Alexander later in the draft.

I'm with you.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Sometimes we make this too complicated. Ted has now traded up enough to dispel that old saw. He has taken for need (Dix) enough that arguing he is purely BPA is foolish.

Ted Rules
    1. If you have 8 players rated the same and can trade down less than 7 slots (plus whatever you can discern about other teams intentions) and get good value for the round, you do it (Lacy).

2. If you can get a higher round talent at a spot of need when you think he won't drop to your next pick, you go up if the price isn't exorbitant (Matthews). The price in picks has to be lower than the value you place on the player. I suspect T2 had a better than end of Round 1 grade on Matthews.

3. You value late picks because it gives you more swings at the fence and means you don't have to get all the UDFAs on your list.

Ted's drafts aren't anything revolutionary (except perhaps success rate). Hoarding of draft picks and eschewing FA are more clearly hallmarks of his approach.

If an ILB drops to a point of ridiculous value like Matthews or Rodgers (maybe Dix?) he will explore trading up. If one falls to him and is at least even with the best talent on the board, he will take that position. This assumes that trading down doesn't make sense.

Nice. I also think Ted has demonstrated over the years that, while need and value aren't the same thing, they are interrelated.

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    Nice. I also think Ted has demonstrated over the years that, while need and value aren't the same thing, they are interrelated.
    Exactly. Need is not going to stop him from trying to find value. I think that is essentially what he means about letting the draft come to him.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    I was at that Dolphins game. The sideline was in turmoil after the injury.
    A rare time that complaining with friends about something in the game turned out true. He was beating a dead tired Dorsey.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post

Yeah, there are so many guys in the round 2-3 projection that anything can happen. Who knows how Ted has them tiered off. He may really like some guys most think are below that too. He took Collins, who had a late round projection, in the 2nd so he's not reading the stuff we are. Perryman's been slotted anywhere from late 1 to the 4th round.

Kendricks and Johnson - the safer bets - could be off the board and then anything can happen. I'm more excited about this year than previous years because I think they've made the right moves so far this offseason and there's the opportunity for this draft class to top it off.

Albert Breer reports Todd Gurley medical recheck (5 different teams asked) have gone well. Likely will be available to start Week 1.

Practice before and start the game or just start practicing he doesn't specify.

And this leads us right back to the debate about the NFL rendering its own judgements outside the legal system:

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 36s36 seconds ago
    Greg Hardy suspended 10 games. NFL investigation concludes he used physical force against Nicole Holder in at least four instances ...
    Roughing the kicker gets you 15 yards, roughing the Holder gets you 10 games.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    Roughing the kicker gets you 15 yards, roughing the Holder gets you 10 games.
    take it to FYI
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Just did another quick mock...

30: R1P30
    ILB STEPHONE ANTHONY
    CLEMSON
    62: R2P30
    DT CARL DAVIS
    IOWA
    94: R3P30
    CB ERIC ROWE
    UTAH
    129: R4P30
    TE JEFF HEUERMAN
    OHIO STATE
    166: R5P30
    CB DAMIAN SWANN
    GEORGIA
    206: R6P30
    OT JAMON BROWN
    LOUISVILLE
    210: R6P34
    DE CEDRIC REED
    TEXAS
    213: R6P37
    CB NICK MARSHALL
    AUBURN
    247: R7P30
    FB JALSTON FOWLER
    ALABAMA

I would be thrilled with Rowe in the 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    I would be thrilled with Rowe in the 3rd.
    You should be. Many now have Rowe as a late 1st, early 2nd pick.

Draft Insider now has their top 150 list out. It's an excellent source. They have Rowe at #39.
    Last edited by Joemailman; 04-24-2015 at 09:10 PM.

That's a common trend among all scouting services. I've seen him mocked to us in the first also.

Exactly. Need is not going to stop him from trying to find value. I think that is essentially what he means about letting the draft come to him.
    TT no longer has a team that drafts BPA.... Ted uses the best players available to move down to where he's comfortable getting value and need...

Rowe will be gone by our 2nd pick probably... no way he's there in the 3rd.

We have to nab an ILB in the first 2 rounds - there are some guys I like that are rated further down, but ILB is such a huge weakness, that we can't just ignore it early in the draft.

That said, TT has a history of ignoring glaring holes and just shrugging his shoulders - so we'll see.
    wist

Ted Rules

This is what I see too.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

What do you guys think of Dawson's personality issues? We had a guy like him once before in Wayne Simmons. Dawson strikes me as a guy with extreme instincts but not the best athleticism.. Isn't that a lot like Borland in the last draft, but without the health concerns?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    What do you guys think of Dawson's personality issues? We had a guy like him once before in Wayne Simmons. Dawson strikes me as a guy with extreme instincts but not the best athleticism.. Isn't that a lot like Borland in the last draft, but without the health concerns?

Apparently I'm in the minority here....but I really like Dawson. Dude just keeps making play after play after play. I think he's better than Borland and this defense needs some intensity. I'd be fine with him in round 1 or 2. Playmaker
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    This is what I see too.
    JAMES CARPENTER....CLASSIC AND CORRECT CALL.................SO I ASK....................WHO IS YOUR GUY ?????

The guy who's going to get drafted much better than most think....slips into round one.....and is effective ???
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    As much as I like Maxx Williams, I don't see him as Rd1 or maybe even Rd2 talent. TT can do better. Might even be worthwhile if he could get Wes Saxton from S. Alabama with a Rd6 or later pick/FA. After all, they need someone to replace Bostick!
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck