Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 ... LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL 2015 NFL DRAFT THREAD

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    His experience in the pistol and his athleticism would appeal to McCarthy.
    If this is true, Stubby HAS to be looking at Nick Marshall, who isn't even mentioned in the Scouting Report.

Plus, Bryan Bennett is a Favre clone...period. Are we ready for another Favre? I say bring him on.

Five questions with former SLU QB Bryan Bennett at the NFL Scouting Combine

Who were your favorite quarterbacks growing up?

"I had a Brett Favre jersey, always looked up to Brett Favre. I just like he was out there, gunslinger, throw it around, had a really strong arm. I liked that when I was a kid. I still have a lot of respect for him. You can tell he was always a great competitor and now watching some of these guys that have had success, Aaron Rodgers, his ability to both throw the ball and be an athlete.
    The guy is the same size as Favre and plays like Favre too...
    A late addition to the Senior Bowl, Bennett completed five of 10 passes for 80 yards with two interceptions.

From NFL Draft Tracker:
    Strengths

Very good athlete. Posted impressive 37-inch vertical and 10-foot-5 broad jump at the NFL Scouting Combine. Played behind Marcus Mariota at Oregon to begin his career. Has ability to hurt defenses as a scrambler and on running plays. Looks the part. Smooth, effortless release. Arm strength is no issue. Can put pepper on seam throws. Shows hints of being able to make anticipatory throws into tight windows. When able, will shuffle from pocket, keeping his eyes downfield and scanning for an open target. Weaknesses

Accuracy and ball placement are problematic. Needed short passing attack to bolster completion percentage in 2013 and saw that number fall to 49.5 percent as a senior. Footwork gets sloppy and a lack of willingness to step into throws when pocket inverts causes balls to sail. Showed signs of dropping eyes when facing interior penetration, including A*-gap blitzes. Must improve willingness to get through progressions. Can be stubborn with unwillingness to come off initial target, often throwing into traffic.
    Bennett would be another project for Stubby, but heck, Stubby has more time on his hands now. Maybe the Pack could hire Holmgren as a consultant.

So he's #3 instead of #4, watch this video and tell me Bennett doesn't remind you of Bart (see especially starting at the 13 second mark...uncanny foreshadowing????????????)...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDw0oTkwJe8
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    If this is true, Stubby HAS to be looking at Nick Marshall, who isn't even mentioned in the Scouting Report.

Plus, Bryan Bennett is a Favre clone...period. Are we ready for another Favre? I say bring him on.
    He looks really raw. His footwork is terrible. He seems similar to Ingle Martin and Rhett Bomar. All got beat out at major colleges (Florida, Oklahoma, Oregon) and transferred to FCS (Furman, Sam Houston State, SE Louisiana). Like those guys, he seems to have size, arm strength, and mobility but lacks the accuracy (because of poor mechanics) and pocket poise to make it in the NFL.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

1st Round - Benardrick Mckinney, ILB, MSU

Analysis: Depends on how the draft falls. Seems to be a lot of volatility as far as where a lot of guys are valued. Heard more than 1 commentator say they think there are only about 20 true 1st round players in the draft, and then about 35-40 2nd round players.

If that is the case, I'd like to see us trade back - but as far as filling our biggest need, with a player I really like, I'd be okay with McKinney in the 1st round if we stay put.

2nd Round - Lorenzo Mauldin, LB, Louisville

Would like to trade back with either the 1st or 2nd round pick and come away with 2 3rd round picks. Like Mauldin moving forward, would need work in coverage. Don't know how flexible he'd be.

3rd Round - Garrett Grayson, QB, Colorado State

If he's there, he'd be a very good developmental prospect.

4th Round - Josh Shaw, CB, USC

Might drop b/c of the off field nonsense - who knows what to make of that. Might be a character risk. Has talent.

5th round - Christian Covington, DT, Rice

Stout, effective all-around defensive linemen. Injuries are a concern. He's short at 6'2", but has long arms and uses his hands well.
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post

Analysis: Depends on how the draft falls. Seems to be a lot of volatility as far as where a lot of guys are valued. Heard more than 1 commentator say they think there are only about 20 true 1st round players in the draft, and then about 35-40 2nd round players.

If that is the case, I'd like to see us trade back - but as far as filling our biggest need, with a player I really like, I'd be okay with McKinney in the 1st round if we stay put.

Would like to trade back with either the 1st or 2nd round pick and come away with 2 3rd round picks. Like Mauldin moving forward, would need work in coverage. Don't know how flexible he'd be.

Might drop b/c of the off field nonsense - who knows what to make of that. Might be a character risk. Has talent.

Stout, effective all-around defensive linemen. Injuries are a concern. He's short at 6'2", but has long arms and uses his hands well.
    I haven't paid as much attention as I normally do to the draft, but I know I'd hate this draft. I'm not a fan of McKinney and I don't want a QB in the third round.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    I haven't paid as much attention as I normally do to the draft, but I know I'd hate this draft. I'm not a fan of McKinney and I don't want a QB in the third round.
    What don't you like about McKinney??

Could see Mauldin being an Elephant OLB... would be another versatile piece to the defensive front.

There are some other LB's I like... I'd be okay with Anthony in the 1st round... As for CB, Shaw has more talent than a 4th round pick, but he might drop b/c of the off field stuff.

Grayson has a chance to be a very good QB... I wouldn't normally advocate taking a QB that early with a franchise QB under center, but Rodgers won't play forever, and Grayson could develop into either a tradable piece, or a season saver should Rodgers go down.

I really like Covington... he has a lot of ability, an Aaron Donald type, he's just been plagued by injuries - certainly worth a flyer in the 5th.

Our main weaknesses are ILB and CB... the draft I threw out there addresses those weaknesses I think.
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Gotta tell ya, the more I look at the mock draft I put together there, the more I think it is unlikely that those players will be available where I proposed... that said, I like all those guys, and would more than thrilled to come away with that draft.

Foxsports has those prospects ranked at

McKinney - 42
    Mauldin - 117
    Grayson - 112
    Shaw - 100
    Covington - 90

Of course opinions are all over the place... other sites have those guys swapped around quite a bit, but we pick at 30, 62, 94, 129, and 166 in those rounds... my mock look pretty damn good

I think Mauldin and Covington are both underrated... Covington is an injury concern, so he depends on the medical evaluation.
    wist

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...ephone-anthony

Let's draft two just to be sure! Stephone Anthony and Paul Dawson!!
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

I think we could trade back a handful of apots to a team interested in a 5th year option on their guy and take Anthony at the top of the 2nd round...

Packer Report's free WR preview, he says it covers first three rounds of prospects.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 52m52 minutes ago
    Scouting the Draft: Wide Receivers .. FREE look at first three rounds with scouting opinions #Packers http://gnb.scout.com/story/1539025-s...NNQTE8.twitter

Here are the other freebies, all Rounds 1-3:

RBs: http://gnb.scout.com/story/1538768-s...ing-backs?s=61

QBs: http://gnb.scout.com/story/1538550-s...rterbacks?s=61

OK, he is saying the WRs are Part 4, but I am only seeing 3. Also, RB seems to be behind the paywall.
    Last edited by pbmax; 04-20-2015 at 10:18 AM.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

anyone watch or no anything on Taiwan Jones?

he sounds like an intriguing guy and a nice possible mid round pick to go along with whatever ILB we draft earlier

Jones is a true downhill linebacker with more than enough length, strength and girth to come in and start immediately for a NFL team running a 3-4 defense. With better field awareness, he could develop into a solid starter in a scheme that requires him to primarily focus on the run game.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...8/taiwan-jones

Anybody else look at Mauldin??

I think the guy has big upside - would be a good in rotation with Peppers, and when Peppers is gone, take over that spot.

Guy has a high motor... pretty wicked back flip there, lol...
    Last edited by wist43; 04-20-2015 at 11:22 AM.
    wist

ok, as we get closer to the draft more gamefilm is hitting the net

i'll start off with a guy everyone seems to like stephone anthony

I like Anthony just fine... just don't think he's nearly as dynamic an athlete as McKinney.

Besides, I read somewhere that Dunderdummy likes Anthony a lot - that is a serious knock against him. If Spraypaintedhair likes him, there has to something seriously wrong with the guy
    wist

I like Anthony just fine... just don't think he's nearly as dynamic an athlete as McKinney.

Besides, I read somewhere that Dunderdummy likes Anthony a lot - that is a serious knock against him. If Spraypaintedhair likes him, there has to something seriously wrong with the guy
    http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/

Staying with the Pack, I’m told they are very high on Stephone Anthony, who would fill a need at inside linebacker. Anthony had 16 official visits at the combine and the first team he met with was Green Bay. I was informed Anthony is a favorite of defensive coordinator Dom Capers.

its funny, because when i look at those game films of mckinney, the last word that would come to my mind is "dynamic"

you would expect a guy that big and strong and fast to be dominating the game, and he just isn't. he's just kinda there. and his play speed actually looks slower then other ILB's like dawson, anthony and perryman

theres a reason why mckinney is being compared to aaron curry, someone is gonna overdraft this guy based on his look and combine, and they are gonna get a very "blah" player

here's some games of him

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    its funny, because when i look at those game films of mckinney, the last word that would come to my mind is "dynamic"

you would expect a guy that big and strong and fast to be dominating the game, and he just isn't. he's just kinda there. and his play speed actually looks slower then other ILB's like dawson, anthony and perryman

theres a reason why mckinney is being compared to aaron curry, someone is gonna overdraft this guy based on his look and combine, and they are gonna get a very "blah" player

here's some games of him

I don't know what you're looking at Red... put on entire game tapes, and you might go the entire game without a given positional player making many plays. The A&M game, MSU had such a lead that A&M did nothing but pass from the 2nd Q on. He got juked by the QB in the open field on one play, and missed a tackle that I noticed, but other than that the ball didn't come near him enough to say he didn't do enough.

He dropped in coverage pretty well, generally took good angles, made the plays that were there for him to make... one of the knocks on him has been that with all of his athletic talent, he should make more plays.

As for the strength issue - give him a year in an NFL weight room and training program, and that guy has the potential to be a beast.

As I said, I like Anthony too, but I think McKinney has much more upside. I'd be okay with McKinney in the 1st round, but would want to trade back if it were Anthony.
    wist

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    I assume then that Anthony's number one attribute is getting everyone lined up properly?
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

I'm trying to figure out a way we can get Eli Harold, Stephone Anthony and Eric Rowe. I don't see it, but getting two of those three would be sweet.

i wouldn't mind trading out of the first (if possible seeings how everyone wants out because the backend of the first sucks), taking anthony with the 1st second round pick a nice cb with the other second rounder

then draft maybe paul dawson with the 3rd

then draft 1 olineman and 1 d lineman with the 4th and 5th rounders, then TT can do whatever the hell he wants with all the other picks

that gives us a cover ILB, and a beast thumper with a mean streak

McKinney had a pretty pedestrian combine. Curry was a combine wonder. McKinney looks athletically limited to me, but I like his instincts. In short, the exact opposite situation as Curry, from my perspective. And, no, I don't want McKinney at 30.