Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL 2015 NFL DRAFT THREAD

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    C'mon, this is the draft thread. A tale of overall, sustained excellence for 23 years.

If you want to self-flagellate, start a coaching decision thread with Holmgren trying to teach Dorsey Levens a lesson about holding out in camp.

Justin Harrell.

There. Thread back on track!
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    C'mon, this is the draft thread. A tale of overall, sustained excellence for 23 years.

If you want to self-flagellate, start a coaching decision thread with Holmgren trying to teach Dorsey Levens a lesson about holding out in camp.
    I was at that Dolphins game. The sideline was in turmoil after the injury.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    I was at that Dolphins game. The sideline was in turmoil after the injury.
    A rare time that complaining with friends about something in the game turned out true. He was beating a dead tired Dorsey.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I was pretty happy with the Worthy and Terrell Manning picks at the time.

I haven't had as much of a problem with some of the talent, as I've had with not filling needs.

TT simply living with substandard play at safety for how long?? Cost us how much?? Last year's debacle at ILB?? What a freaking mess... when there were ILB's drafted after some of our picks who turned out to be productive players.

Then there is the complete mess that was the 2011 draft - it was obvious the defense was in danger of falling off a great deal, yet TT did nothing to help the unit - either in FA or the draft. As a result, we posted one of the worst defensive seasons in NFL history!!

-------------------------------------------------------

Since that disasterous defensive performance in '11, TT has been making more of an effort than in the past at actually filling holes - but I can't find a rational excuse for his completely ignoring ILB for so long.

And keeping dunderdummy around is inexplicable. Doesn't matter how much talent you have, if you have the captain of the Keystone Cops directing traffic.
    wist

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    With the level of the team right now I don't think BPA means what it once did. The Packers should of course consider upside and trust their staff to develop talent but the main thing is to get a solid starter and that means probably getting a position of at least some need. These early picks represent 4 and 5 year deals at the only sub-market rates you're going to get in the NFL. If the guys are just becoming useful as you have to pay them, that seems like a wasted opportunity.

Guys like Bulaga and Haha are about the best balance you could strike as first round picks IMO. It'd be great to nab a ILB in the first and have them work out but I see more CB's that I think are better marriages of need and value. Kevin Johnson is my guy.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    With the level of the team right now I don't think BPA means what it once did. The Packers should of course consider upside and trust their staff to develop talent but the main thing is to get a solid starter and that means probably getting a position of at least some need. These early picks represent 4 and 5 year deals at the only sub-market rates you're going to get in the NFL. If the guys are just becoming useful as you have to pay them, that seems like a wasted opportunity.

Guys like Bulaga and Haha are about the best balance you could strike as first round picks IMO. It'd be great to nab a ILB in the first and have them work out but I see more CB's that I think are better marriages of need and value. Kevin Johnson is my guy.

I Love Kevin Johnson as well...........and Melvin Gordon of course. I'd love it if Gordon ends up in Indy so he many years of winning ahead

OF COURSE.......based on History Melvin will fall right into our lap...and we will pass
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

I say cover your bases with filling holes, i.e. ILB, and another highish CB... but other than that, I have no problem going BPA after that. Our overall depth is pretty good.

We're very close to winning another championship - dunderdummy, MM's timidity, and couple of lineup holes are all that is holding us back.

If TT can fill the holes, and MM might-could have learned a lesson - the only thing standing in our way is dunderdummy. Granted that is a huge obstacle, but if we only had the one obstacle, we might-could get past it.
    wist

Who the hell liked kyri Thornton? Everyone in the worlds first reaction to that pick was, "who"? Then once we found out who it was we were like " oh good, his team never wine a game in college, clearly a winner"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    Who the hell liked kyri Thornton? Everyone in the worlds first reaction to that pick was, "who"? Then once we found out who it was we were like " oh good, his team never wine a game in college, clearly a winner"

HATED that pick from the start.....anti TT pick that seemed desperate
    I also did not like the TE pick either.....hopefully I'm wrong there......
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Since the Driver is calling out the r2 pick, I am predicting a round 1 tradeback.

I'd like to make sure we came away with 1 of the following LB's in the first couple of rounds...

Benardrick McKinney
    Stephone Anthony
    Eric Kendricks

All 3 of those guys have their warts, but I'd be okay with any of them if we traded back a few spots... if we stayed put?? Maybe McKinney is okay to take in Rd 1, not sold on Kendricks, but there's enough to like; same thing with Anthony.

The only other guy I like that high, that could move inside would be Shaq Thompson. Listed as a tweener S/OLB... but I could see him functioning well as an ILB - if the team that drafted him made a commitment to keeping him clean.

I don't like Dawson, and I do like Perryman on tape, but they took him out on 3rd down a lot, and he didn't move well at the combine - so I'd be shy of him.

If we look at a CB...

Eric Rowe
    Ronald Darby

I've cooled on Williams b/c he simply doesn't have the speed to match up... if he gets beat early, he stays beat.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other guys on my radar after those major hole fillers...

Would do what it took to land Lorenzo Mauldin... can see him developing into a beast, and stepping in for Peppers full time next year.

In the 2nd/3rd round range I like...

Lorenzo Mauldin, OLB
    Josh Shaw, CB
    Quinten Rollins, CB

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Those are the guys I've looked at the most... I'm sure there are plenty of offensive players I'd be okay with... I've looked at some, but for now I'm focusing on our major needs.

Further down, I have a man-crush on Christian Covington, and would love to see him in Green and Gold. Don't know where his value is now due to medical...

Will keep looking
    wist

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    I'd like to make sure we came away with 1 of the following LB's in the first couple of rounds...

Benardrick McKinney
    Stephone Anthony
    Eric Kendricks

All 3 of those guys have their warts, but I'd be okay with any of them if we traded back a few spots... if we stayed put?? Maybe McKinney is okay to take in Rd 1, not sold on Kendricks, but there's enough to like; same thing with Anthony.

The only other guy I like that high, that could move inside would be Shaq Thompson. Listed as a tweener S/OLB... but I could see him functioning well as an ILB - if the team that drafted him made a commitment to keeping him clean.

I don't like Dawson, and I do like Perryman on tape, but they took him out on 3rd down a lot, and he didn't move well at the combine - so I'd be shy of him.

If we look at a CB...

Eric Rowe
    Ronald Darby

I've cooled on Williams b/c he simply doesn't have the speed to match up... if he gets beat early, he stays beat.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other guys on my radar after those major hole fillers...

Would do what it took to land Lorenzo Mauldin... can see him developing into a beast, and stepping in for Peppers full time next year.

In the 2nd/3rd round range I like...

Lorenzo Mauldin, OLB
    Josh Shaw, CB
    Quinten Rollins, CB

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Those are the guys I've looked at the most... I'm sure there are plenty of offensive players I'd be okay with... I've looked at some, but for now I'm focusing on our major needs.

Further down, I have a man-crush on Christian Covington, and would love to see him in Green and Gold. Don't know where his value is now due to medical...

Will keep looking
    I'd be happy with any of those guys especially with a trade back. Kendricks being my favorite simply because he's the safest. I think drafting a guy who just looks the part is a mistake, recent history has rewarded the teams who take the football player over the athlete. The position requires uncoachable instincts and vision at the NFL speed where rookies who aren't that big and aren't that fast can still succeed immediately there. I'd prefer to grab a polished CB like Johnson, and then grab a couple of gamers like Perryman and Mike Hull or Kwon Alexander later in the draft.

No use making a wishlist though because Ted is going to shit on it.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

I'd be happy with any of those guys especially with a trade back. Kendricks being my favorite simply because he's the safest. I think drafting a guy who just looks the part is a mistake, recent history has rewarded the teams who take the football player over the athlete. The position requires uncoachable instincts and vision at the NFL speed where rookies who aren't that big and aren't that fast can still succeed immediately there. I'd prefer to grab a polished CB like Johnson, and then grab a couple of gamers like Perryman and Mike Hull or Kwon Alexander later in the draft.

I'm with you.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Blog Entries

Yeah, there are so many guys in the round 2-3 projection that anything can happen. Who knows how Ted has them tiered off. He may really like some guys most think are below that too. He took Collins, who had a late round projection, in the 2nd so he's not reading the stuff we are. Perryman's been slotted anywhere from late 1 to the 4th round.

Kendricks and Johnson - the safer bets - could be off the board and then anything can happen. I'm more excited about this year than previous years because I think they've made the right moves so far this offseason and there's the opportunity for this draft class to top it off.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    This is probably the main reason I don't spend a lot of time on the draft. Last year, I watched a ton of video of Moncrief, got my heart set on him, and then TT takes Adams. Better to wait, and then homerize the video of TT's pics, projecting them all into the HOF.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

This is probably the main reason I don't spend a lot of time on the draft. Last year, I watched a ton of video of Moncrief, got my heart set on him, and then TT takes Adams. Better to wait, and then homerize the video of TT's pics, projecting them all into the HOF.
    Its the only time of year I wish for a megalomaniacal owner with lots of cameras following him around.

Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

This is what I do any more. Since you don't know anyway, and since I'm so often wrong, I just see who TT picks and then talk myself into thinking they'll be good. Works with some guys (Davante Adams, Clinton-Dix) but not with others (Marshall Newhouse, Davon House).
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    This is what I do any more. Since you don't know anyway, and since I'm so often wrong, I just see who TT picks and then talk myself into thinking they'll be good. Works with some guys (Davante Adams, Clinton-Dix) but not with others (Marshall Newhouse, Davon House).
    That is what I have always done. It goes back to the '60s, when I wasn't even aware that the draft was scheduled until several days after it happened. In those days it was the end of November or early December; between the end of the college season and the Bowl Games.

I tell myself that every year, but here I am, researching and watching tape on defensive players and TT probably takes offense with the first two picks.