Page 20 of 31 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 30 ... LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL 2015 NFL DRAFT THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    Good choice, Wist. Everyone talks about the really flashy, sexy WR's. I think Nelson Agholor is a swiss army knife. His return skills would really help too. I heard him interviewed on Sirius XM and he sounds very articulate, and like a gym rat, football guy, very much into process, route running, and improvement. I hope he slips and that TT is forced to consider drafting him purely out of value. I think he could be one of those guys who blooms in the NFL, especially if he plays with a great QB.
    A Swiss Army knife? Packers tried a toolbelt with Tori Gurley, but he didn't stick in GB (or anywhere else). The thing about that type of a player is they still have to have at least one tool that is exceptional, and Tori didn't. Does Agholor?
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by pittstang5 View Post
    Anyone do any research on Davis Tull, DE/OLB from U.Tenn-Chattanooga. Looks like he played DE but might be trying to make the switch to OLB in a 3-4. His measurables are really good.

I watched some tape and he's relentless. He doesn't always get to the QB, but disrupts the pocket when he doesn't.

Draft sites have him all over the board from a 3-4 Rounder all the way to a FA. Thoughts on this guy?
    I posted about him in the other thread... I have him as ILB though - don't think he can make on the outside. Short arms gets him hung up quite a bit - but I like his motor, he runs well, seems instinctive, and he's tough... he belongs inside in the NFL IMO.
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    A Swiss Army knife? Packers tried a toolbelt with Tori Gurley, but he didn't stick in GB (or anywhere else). The thing about that type of a player is they still have to have at least one tool that is exceptional, and Tori didn't. Does Agholor?
    Runs good routes, gets into and out of his breaks quickly, has good hands, good production... the kid is a player.

Sr. year - 104 catches, 1313 yds, 12 TD's
    wist

Old saw, but I want to reiterate two points: one, that outside of the QB position, I am all for the BPA choice in the first round, which is the round most people want TT to use to draft for need.

But if you can get a workmanlike, Hawk-like, serviceable ILB with your first round pick, or you could get a guy whom you're pretty sure can become an All Pro, you've got to take that guy. I make exception for the QB position just because if you draft a QB in the first round I don't think you'll very likely get your use of him. You'll develop him for a year or two, and his contract will almost be up, and if you're lucky Arod will still be playing. So then you're stuck getting little value out of your first round pick, whereas if you pick a QB in the fourth and develop him, you might even trade him later for a first. And end up drafting Jamaal Reynolds with that pick.

The second point is that I realize that none of us really know WTF is a good pick or not a good pick until years later. Not even Ted knows when he picks a guy. We have opinions, yes, and we sometimes try to back them with stats or film clips, but on the whole, we can bitch and moan or get all excited, but we just don't know.

Here's a list of Packer picks I was very excited about. And it's not a complete list, just a few names I loved when they were called during the Packers' time on the clock:

Jerel Worthy
    Robert "Turd" Ferguson
    Darrell Thompson
    Will Blackmon
    Khyri Thornton
    Derrick Sherrod
    Alex Green
    Patrick Lee
    Abdul Hodge
    Kenny Peterson
    Fred Vinson
    Derrick Mayes
    Gabe Wilins

The Washout Hall of Fame, for the most part. Doh!
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    So then you're stuck getting little value out of your first round pick, whereas if you pick a QB in the fourth and develop him, you might even trade him later for a first. And end up drafting Jamaal Reynolds with that pick.
    Fuck dude....way to pick that old scab.

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    Fuck dude....way to pick that old scab.
    That's nothing.

Try 4th and 26.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

C'mon, this is the draft thread. A tale of overall, sustained excellence for 23 years.

If you want to self-flagellate, start a coaching decision thread with Holmgren trying to teach Dorsey Levens a lesson about holding out in camp.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    C'mon, this is the draft thread. A tale of overall, sustained excellence for 23 years.

If you want to self-flagellate, start a coaching decision thread with Holmgren trying to teach Dorsey Levens a lesson about holding out in camp.

Justin Harrell.

There. Thread back on track!

KYPack

I was pretty happy with the Worthy and Terrell Manning picks at the time.

I haven't had as much of a problem with some of the talent, as I've had with not filling needs.

TT simply living with substandard play at safety for how long?? Cost us how much?? Last year's debacle at ILB?? What a freaking mess... when there were ILB's drafted after some of our picks who turned out to be productive players.

Then there is the complete mess that was the 2011 draft - it was obvious the defense was in danger of falling off a great deal, yet TT did nothing to help the unit - either in FA or the draft. As a result, we posted one of the worst defensive seasons in NFL history!!

-------------------------------------------------------

Since that disasterous defensive performance in '11, TT has been making more of an effort than in the past at actually filling holes - but I can't find a rational excuse for his completely ignoring ILB for so long.

And keeping dunderdummy around is inexplicable. Doesn't matter how much talent you have, if you have the captain of the Keystone Cops directing traffic.
    wist

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    With the level of the team right now I don't think BPA means what it once did. The Packers should of course consider upside and trust their staff to develop talent but the main thing is to get a solid starter and that means probably getting a position of at least some need. These early picks represent 4 and 5 year deals at the only sub-market rates you're going to get in the NFL. If the guys are just becoming useful as you have to pay them, that seems like a wasted opportunity.

Guys like Bulaga and Haha are about the best balance you could strike as first round picks IMO. It'd be great to nab a ILB in the first and have them work out but I see more CB's that I think are better marriages of need and value. Kevin Johnson is my guy.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post

I was at that Dolphins game. The sideline was in turmoil after the injury.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Old saw, but I want to reiterate two points: one, that outside of the QB position, I am all for the BPA choice in the first round, which is the round most people want TT to use to draft for need.

But if you can get a workmanlike, Hawk-like, serviceable ILB with your first round pick, or you could get a guy whom you're pretty sure can become an All Pro, you've got to take that guy. I make exception for the QB position just because if you draft a QB in the first round I don't think you'll very likely get your use of him. You'll develop him for a year or two, and his contract will almost be up, and if you're lucky Arod will still be playing. So then you're stuck getting little value out of your first round pick, whereas if you pick a QB in the fourth and develop him, you might even trade him later for a first. And end up drafting Jamaal Reynolds with that pick.

The second point is that I realize that none of us really know WTF is a good pick or not a good pick until years later. Not even Ted knows when he picks a guy. We have opinions, yes, and we sometimes try to back them with stats or film clips, but on the whole, we can bitch and moan or get all excited, but we just don't know.

Here's a list of Packer picks I was very excited about. And it's not a complete list, just a few names I loved when they were called during the Packers' time on the clock:

Jerel Worthy
    Robert "Turd" Ferguson
    Darrell Thompson
    Will Blackmon
    Khyri Thornton
    Derrick Sherrod
    Alex Green
    Patrick Lee
    Abdul Hodge
    Kenny Peterson
    Fred Vinson
    Derrick Mayes
    Gabe Wilins

The Washout Hall of Fame, for the most part. Doh!
    OF THAT LIST I BOLDED THE ONES I HATED and UNDERLINED THE ONES I LOVED

Still upset we drafted the Fraud over Chris Chambers !!!!
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    With the level of the team right now I don't think BPA means what it once did. The Packers should of course consider upside and trust their staff to develop talent but the main thing is to get a solid starter and that means probably getting a position of at least some need. These early picks represent 4 and 5 year deals at the only sub-market rates you're going to get in the NFL. If the guys are just becoming useful as you have to pay them, that seems like a wasted opportunity.

Guys like Bulaga and Haha are about the best balance you could strike as first round picks IMO. It'd be great to nab a ILB in the first and have them work out but I see more CB's that I think are better marriages of need and value. Kevin Johnson is my guy.

I Love Kevin Johnson as well...........and Melvin Gordon of course. I'd love it if Gordon ends up in Indy so he many years of winning ahead

OF COURSE.......based on History Melvin will fall right into our lap...and we will pass
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Who the hell liked kyri Thornton? Everyone in the worlds first reaction to that pick was, "who"? Then once we found out who it was we were like " oh good, his team never wine a game in college, clearly a winner"

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post

I say cover your bases with filling holes, i.e. ILB, and another highish CB... but other than that, I have no problem going BPA after that. Our overall depth is pretty good.

We're very close to winning another championship - dunderdummy, MM's timidity, and couple of lineup holes are all that is holding us back.

If TT can fill the holes, and MM might-could have learned a lesson - the only thing standing in our way is dunderdummy. Granted that is a huge obstacle, but if we only had the one obstacle, we might-could get past it.
    wist

@RobDemovsky

Former #Packers WR Donald Driver will announce the team's second-round pick in next week's draft, the NFL says.

Cool
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Since the Driver is calling out the r2 pick, I am predicting a round 1 tradeback.

I'd like to make sure we came away with 1 of the following LB's in the first couple of rounds...

Benardrick McKinney
    Stephone Anthony
    Eric Kendricks

All 3 of those guys have their warts, but I'd be okay with any of them if we traded back a few spots... if we stayed put?? Maybe McKinney is okay to take in Rd 1, not sold on Kendricks, but there's enough to like; same thing with Anthony.

The only other guy I like that high, that could move inside would be Shaq Thompson. Listed as a tweener S/OLB... but I could see him functioning well as an ILB - if the team that drafted him made a commitment to keeping him clean.

I don't like Dawson, and I do like Perryman on tape, but they took him out on 3rd down a lot, and he didn't move well at the combine - so I'd be shy of him.

If we look at a CB...

Eric Rowe
    Ronald Darby

I've cooled on Williams b/c he simply doesn't have the speed to match up... if he gets beat early, he stays beat.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other guys on my radar after those major hole fillers...

Would do what it took to land Lorenzo Mauldin... can see him developing into a beast, and stepping in for Peppers full time next year.

In the 2nd/3rd round range I like...

Lorenzo Mauldin, OLB
    Josh Shaw, CB
    Quinten Rollins, CB

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Those are the guys I've looked at the most... I'm sure there are plenty of offensive players I'd be okay with... I've looked at some, but for now I'm focusing on our major needs.

Further down, I have a man-crush on Christian Covington, and would love to see him in Green and Gold. Don't know where his value is now due to medical...

Will keep looking
    wist

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    Who the hell liked kyri Thornton? Everyone in the worlds first reaction to that pick was, "who"? Then once we found out who it was we were like " oh good, his team never wine a game in college, clearly a winner"

HATED that pick from the start.....anti TT pick that seemed desperate
    I also did not like the TE pick either.....hopefully I'm wrong there......