Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL 2015 NFL DRAFT THREAD

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Sometimes we make this too complicated. Ted has now traded up enough to dispel that old saw. He has taken for need (Dix) enough that arguing he is purely BPA is foolish.

Ted Rules
    1. If you have 8 players rated the same and can trade down less than 7 slots (plus whatever you can discern about other teams intentions) and get good value for the round, you do it (Lacy).

2. If you can get a higher round talent at a spot of need when you think he won't drop to your next pick, you go up if the price isn't exorbitant (Matthews). The price in picks has to be lower than the value you place on the player. I suspect T2 had a better than end of Round 1 grade on Matthews.

3. You value late picks because it gives you more swings at the fence and means you don't have to get all the UDFAs on your list.

Ted's drafts aren't anything revolutionary (except perhaps success rate). Hoarding of draft picks and eschewing FA are more clearly hallmarks of his approach.

If an ILB drops to a point of ridiculous value like Matthews or Rodgers (maybe Dix?) he will explore trading up. If one falls to him and is at least even with the best talent on the board, he will take that position. This assumes that trading down doesn't make sense.

But he won't betray the rules of value just to take a need position.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Sometimes we make this too complicated. Ted has now traded up enough to dispel that old saw. He has taken for need (Dix) enough that arguing he is purely BPA is foolish.

Ted Rules
    1. If you have 8 players rated the same and can trade down less than 7 slots (plus whatever you can discern about other teams intentions) and get good value for the round, you do it (Lacy).

2. If you can get a higher round talent at a spot of need when you think he won't drop to your next pick, you go up if the price isn't exorbitant (Matthews). The price in picks has to be lower than the value you place on the player. I suspect T2 had a better than end of Round 1 grade on Matthews.

3. You value late picks because it gives you more swings at the fence and means you don't have to get all the UDFAs on your list.

Ted's drafts aren't anything revolutionary (except perhaps success rate). Hoarding of draft picks and eschewing FA are more clearly hallmarks of his approach.

If an ILB drops to a point of ridiculous value like Matthews or Rodgers (maybe Dix?) he will explore trading up. If one falls to him and is at least even with the best talent on the board, he will take that position. This assumes that trading down doesn't make sense.

Nice. I also think Ted has demonstrated over the years that, while need and value aren't the same thing, they are interrelated.

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    Nice. I also think Ted has demonstrated over the years that, while need and value aren't the same thing, they are interrelated.
    Exactly. Need is not going to stop him from trying to find value. I think that is essentially what he means about letting the draft come to him.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Exactly. Need is not going to stop him from trying to find value. I think that is essentially what he means about letting the draft come to him.
    TT no longer has a team that drafts BPA.... Ted uses the best players available to move down to where he's comfortable getting value and need...

Ted Rules

This is what I see too.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    This is what I see too.
    JAMES CARPENTER....CLASSIC AND CORRECT CALL.................SO I ASK....................WHO IS YOUR GUY ?????

The guy who's going to get drafted much better than most think....slips into round one.....and is effective ???
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Just did another quick mock...

30: R1P30
    ILB STEPHONE ANTHONY
    CLEMSON
    62: R2P30
    DT CARL DAVIS
    IOWA
    94: R3P30
    CB ERIC ROWE
    UTAH
    129: R4P30
    TE JEFF HEUERMAN
    OHIO STATE
    166: R5P30
    CB DAMIAN SWANN
    GEORGIA
    206: R6P30
    OT JAMON BROWN
    LOUISVILLE
    210: R6P34
    DE CEDRIC REED
    TEXAS
    213: R6P37
    CB NICK MARSHALL
    AUBURN
    247: R7P30
    FB JALSTON FOWLER
    ALABAMA

I would be thrilled with Rowe in the 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    I would be thrilled with Rowe in the 3rd.
    You should be. Many now have Rowe as a late 1st, early 2nd pick.

Draft Insider now has their top 150 list out. It's an excellent source. They have Rowe at #39.
    Last edited by Joemailman; 04-24-2015 at 09:10 PM.

That's a common trend among all scouting services. I've seen him mocked to us in the first also.

Rowe will be gone by our 2nd pick probably... no way he's there in the 3rd.

We have to nab an ILB in the first 2 rounds - there are some guys I like that are rated further down, but ILB is such a huge weakness, that we can't just ignore it early in the draft.

That said, TT has a history of ignoring glaring holes and just shrugging his shoulders - so we'll see.
    wist

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    Rowe will be gone by our 2nd pick probably... no way he's there in the 3rd.

We have to nab an ILB in the first 2 rounds - there are some guys I like that are rated further down, but ILB is such a huge weakness, that we can't just ignore it early in the draft.

That said, TT has a history of ignoring glaring holes and just shrugging his shoulders - so we'll see.
    Its always nice to turn a weakness into a strength but we absolutely do not need an ILB in the first 2 rounds. We were 1 voodoo curse away from the superbowl last year with backup quality ILB who can be replaced by talent from anywhere in the draft.

I'd prefer a shotgun approach because we need more than just 1 ILB anyways. Some very good linebackers have come out of the late and middle rounds lately and our bar is really really low.
    Last edited by 3irty1; 04-25-2015 at 11:58 AM.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

What do you guys think of Dawson's personality issues? We had a guy like him once before in Wayne Simmons. Dawson strikes me as a guy with extreme instincts but not the best athleticism.. Isn't that a lot like Borland in the last draft, but without the health concerns?

Blog Entries
    What do you guys think of Dawson's personality issues? We had a guy like him once before in Wayne Simmons. Dawson strikes me as a guy with extreme instincts but not the best athleticism.. Isn't that a lot like Borland in the last draft, but without the health concerns?

Apparently I'm in the minority here....but I really like Dawson. Dude just keeps making play after play after play. I think he's better than Borland and this defense needs some intensity. I'd be fine with him in round 1 or 2. Playmaker
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Gosh he looks fluid - moving to the tackle and can cover RBs out of the backfield. Patient to shed blocks. Natural, sound tackler. Good recognition. Good follow through. Can rush the passer without hopping. Me likey. He doesn't look crazy on the field like Simmons used to. Simmons was positively foaming at the mouth half the time.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    As much as I like Maxx Williams, I don't see him as Rd1 or maybe even Rd2 talent. TT can do better. Might even be worthwhile if he could get Wes Saxton from S. Alabama with a Rd6 or later pick/FA. After all, they need someone to replace Bostick!
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Draft a Heeney. Do it.

Scout.com Final ILB rankings

Code:
    PLAYER			SCHOOL	POS	CL	HT	WT	40-YD	PRO	RND
    ANTHONY, Steph (WB)	Clemson	ILB	Sr	06:02.3	238	4.59	6.7	2
    KENDRICKS, Eric (WB)	UCLA	ILB	rSr	06:00.1	232	4.67	6.7	1-2
    DAWSON, Paul (WB)	TCU	ILB	Sr	06:01.5	230	4.76	6.3	2-3
    PERRYMAN, Denzel	Miami	ILB	Sr	05:11.1	248	4.74	6.2	3
    McKINNEY, Ben (SB)	MsSU	ILB	rJr	06:04.5	245	4.62	6.2	2-3
    #HICKS, Jordan (OB)	Texas	ILB	Sr	06:01.5	245	4.58	5.7	4
    HULL, Michael (OB)	PSU	ILB	Sr	06:00.0	232	4.63	5.7	4
    HEENEY, Benjamin	Kansas	ILB	Sr	06:00.3	228	4.80	5.7	4
    WILSON, Ramik (WB)	Georgia	ILB	Sr	06:01.7	234	4.72	5.6	4-5
    JONES, Taiwan		MSU	ILB	Sr	06:03.0	252	4.76	5.5	5
    DICKSON, Xz	(RE/SB)	Ala	ILB	Sr	06:03.4	268	4.77	5.4	5
    SPAIGHT, Martrell (OB)	Ark	ILB	Sr	06:00.0	238	4.83	5.4	5
    #HAGER, Bryce		Baylor	ILB	rSr	06:00.2	229	4.49	5.3	5-6
    RYAN, Jake (SB)		Mich	ILB	Sr	06:02.4	235	4.68	5.3	5-6
    VIGIL, Zachary		Utah St	ILB	Sr	06:01.5	233	4.86	5.2	6-7
    LUC, Jeff (WB)		Cinn	ILB	Sr	05:11.7	253	4.79	5.1	6-7
    PULLARD, Hayes (SB)	USC	ILB	rSr	06:00.7	234	4.64	5.0	6-7
    ROBINSON, Ed (WB)	Newb	ILB	Sr	06:02.1	246	4.55	4.9	7
    DEPRIEST, Trey (SB)	Ala	ILB	Sr	06:00.4	258	4.82	4.9	7-FA
    HERRERA, Amarlo (SB)	Georgia	ILB	Sr	06:00.2	244	4.76	4.8	7-FA
    WILSON, Damien		Minn	ILB	Sr	06:00.1	252	4.79	4.8	7-FA
    TIMU, John		Wash	ILB	Sr	06:00.4	244	4.74	4.8	7-FA
    GRANT, Curtis		OSU	ILB	Sr	06:02.3	243	4.59	4.7	PFA
    MALONE, Derrick (WB)	Oregon	ILB	Sr	06:02.0	219	4.67	4.7	PFA
    TARPLEY, Aubrey (WB)	Stan	ILB	rSr	06:00.4	238	4.84	4.7	PFA
    MAYO, David		TxState	ILB	Sr	06:02.0	228	4.79	4.7	PFA
    ROACH, Trevor		Neb	ILB	Sr	06:02.0	235	4.87	4.7	PFA
    Last edited by pbmax; 04-26-2015 at 11:33 AM.

Wayback Machine 1992: http://articles.baltimoresun.com/199...desmond-howard

A draft trade that worked out for no one, not even the team that was jumped over (Packers). It was lose-lose-lose, especially Washington.

Wayback Machine 1992: http://articles.baltimoresun.com/199...desmond-howard

A draft trade that worked out for no one, not even the team that was jumped over (Packers). It was lose-lose-lose, especially Washington.
    Wow....funny stuff. Love the Vardell pick. It's so nice where Desmond made it back to though.
    C.H.U.D.