Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Winners & Losers - Packers vs Jets

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    PFF agrees with you. They gave him a +2.4 for the game. I'm going to go back and watch the game and see if I change my mind on Lattimore. PFF has always loved Brad Jones though, sooooo we'll see.
    PFF gave Jones the worst week 1 ILB grade... the +2.4 is like an 8.6 point swing from Jones' performance. Hopefully the thigh keeps him out a bit longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion Lannister View Post
    Just reviewed the Jets-Packers game on NFL Shortcuts.

Losers:

Clinton-Dix: I see a little Sean Taylor in him, but the more I see him play, the more I dislike him. Slow. Very slow. Sloth slow. Has the making of a classic "Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane." Brady, Brees, Stafford, Ryan and even Cutler are not gonna overthrow a wide open receiver like Geno Smith did.

Hawk: Look around the league. The good/great defenses all have good/great ILBs. The only times Hawk got noticed was when his helmet fell off.

Hyde: Tackled poorly. Terrible in zone coverage.

McCarthy: I miss the old, liberal McCarthy. When DeShawn Wynn was running into brick walls, McCarthy got rid of the run and went with short passes and the "big" 5. Nowadays, McCarthy is too stubborn to change. It was obvious Lacy wasn't gonna see daylight even if he was running on the sun. Should've feed Stark or Harris the rock.

Contrary to popular belief, Peppers didn't play a poor game and he wasn't invisible. Guy had plenty of "near" sacks and "near" pressures that forced Smith to throw the ball quicker than he would've liked, resulting in incompletions. Just wait til the Packers start playing stationary QBs. Peppers is going to make Thompson look grand.
    I'm gonna give a rookie S a pass. He's learning on the job. He may be peeking back towards the QB and then getting burned. I can't think of many rookie safeties that play like savvy veterans in their first few games.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Rex was obviously very concerned with what Lacy could do to their defense. Keeping Lacy in the game forced the Jets to stay in base even when the Packers used 3 wides. As a result, they couldn't double Jordy and paid the price.
    I thought I saw several times where Lacy stayed back there to help block too and did a pretty nice job.

GBPG actually praised Lacy's blocking help--mostly on Sherrod's side.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by channtheman View Post
    I think the main point about MM and the run game is that Lacy looked big fat and slow on Sunday and was doing too much dancing. Starks and Harris both seem to realize that by just running straight you get more yards (and they do.)
    I did see Lacy dance around a couple times. If he'd just cut and go, he'd get a couple yards as opposed to none or going backwards. Positive yardage, even if it's 1 or 2 yards, is better than none.

Starks used to dance...Alot. I haven't seen him do it since the beginning of last year. In Preseason this year, I can't remember him doing it at all. Maybe he fixed that, but old habits die hard.

I agree that ol' Eddie doesn't look like the brute he looked like last year. Now he looks like that long line of pedestrian backs who keep searching outside for some room, but never find it.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I agree that ol' Eddie doesn't look like the brute he looked like last year. Now he looks like that long line of pedestrian backs who keep searching outside for some room, but never find it.
    So what is the consensus here? Lacy is just a flash in the pan?

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    That it is the start of the season and the OL is shitty like it always is.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    We have played two very good defenses, and they were gearing up to stop Lacy, which did help AR. Even the threat of the run and adjustment by the defense can be a win for the Packers offense. Keeping them honest instead of previous years when the defense would just pin their ears back.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    No. Jets decided to take Lacy away by playing base all game. Well, they shut down Lacy but got torched by Jordy. Pick your poison.

Lacy will be fine once the packers stop playing the NFL's top rushing defenses. And getting Bulaga back wouldn't hurt either.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

No. Jets decided to take Lacy away by playing base all game. Well, they shut down Lacy but got torched by Jordy. Pick your poison.

Lacy will be fine once the packers stop playing the NFL's top rushing defenses. And getting Bulaga back wouldn't hurt either.
    I've seen two halves of the first two games, the second half against Sea and the first half against NY. Those were by far the worst halves (maybe I should take this as a sign and not turn them on at all against Det). In both cases what I saw was an offense whose components didn't seem to be working well together. Sherrod was a turnstile which caused everything to come to a screeching halt at times against Seattle. Rodgers was holding onto the ball too long and wasn't in sync with his receivers. Boykin was dropping balls he should catch. Lacy was bouncing runs outside and going nowhere. Overall they just looked like shit. My hope is that this is just another version of the early season jitters that McCarthy's offenses always seem to go through.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    I've seen two halves of the first two games, the second half against Sea and the first half against NY. Those were by far the worst halves (maybe I should take this as a sign and not turn them on at all against Det). In both cases what I saw was an offense whose components didn't seem to be working well together. Sherrod was a turnstile which caused everything to come to a screeching halt at times against Seattle. Rodgers was holding onto the ball too long and wasn't in sync with his receivers. Boykin was dropping balls he should catch. Lacy was bouncing runs outside and going nowhere. Overall they just looked like shit. My hope is that this is just another version of the early season jitters that McCarthy's offenses always seem to go through.
    May I point out that despite all those struggles, they managed to put up 31 points against a pretty good Jets defense?
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

maybe I should take this as a sign and not turn them on at all against Det
    Try it out and see. Take one for the team!

May I point out that despite all those struggles, they managed to put up 31 points against a pretty good Jets defense?
    Tale of two halves. My point is that the offense isn't really in sync yet. Maybe they finally got on track in second half of Jets game. Or maybe part of not being in sync is not being able to put two good halves together. The Lions game will tell us a lot more about where they stand.

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    That is seeming more and more likely. Kids want to go apple picking, and Sunday afternoon is the only free time, so it's looking like NFL rewind for me.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    That is seeming more and more likely. Kids want to go apple picking, and Sunday afternoon is the only free time, so it's looking like NFL rewind for me.
    Ah apple picking. $2/hr for Madtown, -$25/hr for you and your family.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Weren't we sending someone to their garage last year in search of a good luck charm? Who was that?

He got mad at the game on TV, went to his garage to work and listened to the radio. Packers came back. Couple games later they got off to a brutal start and his wife tells him he should be in the garage.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I don't know about anyone else, but watching the games on television is an exhausting, draining experience for me. Last year my neighbor said he was actually scared when he heard me screaming; he thought maybe I was beating the girlfriend or the grandson.

Yet I cannot stay away.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier
    maybe I should take this as a sign and not turn them on at all against Det
    I did not turn the Packers on at all this afternoon, didn't even peek at the score until 4:00. I guess I wasn't the root of their problems after all.