Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Official Packers vs. Lions Discussion Thread

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    wist, the thing I can't understand is this whole defensive play calling thing. Apparently, there are rules that only one guy on defense can wear the headset in his helmet. But then does that guy have to play all the snaps? What if he gets hurt?

In the first game Jones wore the headset and played every defensive down. In the second, Hawk wore it and played every down.

Is our defense so complicated and dependent on schemes and personnel groups that it would fall apart without communicating on the headset? Stubby is big on cross training guys, can't he have Burnett or Shields or Tramon or Matthews wear it and call defensive signals? Are we forever tied to Jones or Hawk?
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    Is there any other team in the league that is as QB dependent as Green Bay??
    There are now probably three elite QBs (Manning, Rodgers, Brees), and all three of those teams are as dependent on that elite QB as the others. Pittsburgh is highly dependent on Big Ben too--as is San Diego with Rivers. After watching Brady the first two weeks, I'm leaning towards dropping him out of the elite category. His downfield passing ability has fallen off dramatically. It's true that there are some teams that have a good QB that are not as dependent on that QB (namely Seattle, San Fran, Carolina, maybe Cincinnati and Arizona), but those teams are about as scarce as teams with elite QBs. Those teams have arguably the five best defenses in football. Those teams have been fortunate that their QBs have mostly been playing on their rookie contracts--except for Arizona. Things are about to change there.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Have you ever considered that the defense may not be intentionally faulty? Like what if Capers has never said "The goal is to give up 30 points this week" or "We're just not going to try controlling the line of scrimmage"? What if Thompson has never said "Lets pass on that guy, he's too physical for us"?

What if there are 31 other teams also trying to build the perfect defense and competing for all the same resources and even the most fortunate one still won't give up just 13 points per game?

And to answer your question yes there are other teams just as QB dependent. The Broncos, Bears, Giants, Steelers, Saints, and Patriots all come to mind. I'd wager nearly every team would also be smoldering heap of dysfunction after losing 20 million dollars worth of their best players.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Lions

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    There are now probably three elite QBs (Manning, Rodgers, Brees), and all three of those teams are as dependent on that elite QB as the others. Pittsburgh is highly dependent on Big Ben too--as is San Diego with Rivers. After watching Brady the first two weeks, I'm leaning towards dropping him out of the elite category. His downfield passing ability has fallen off dramatically. It's true that there are some teams that have a good QB that are not as dependent on that QB (namely Seattle, San Fran, Carolina, maybe Cincinnati and Arizona), but those teams are about as scarce as teams with elite QBs. Those teams have arguably the five best defenses in football. Those teams have been fortunate that their QBs have mostly been playing on their rookie contracts--except for Arizona. Things are about to change there.
    Brady has no WR to throw to worth a damn. When Danny Amendola is your best WR, you've got problems. So I won't put him out of the elite category yet.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    Brady has no WR to throw to worth a damn. When Danny Amendola is your best WR, you've got problems. So I won't put him out of the elite category yet.
    I don't buy it. Edelman is their best receiver. He's pretty darn good--in the Welker mold. Gronk is back. Vereen is one of the best pass catching RBs in football. Dobson has talent--although he missed the first game. Amendola is a decent slot receiver. Wright caught 56 passes in Tampa Bay last year. While that's not the best receiving crops, he's not completely devoid of weapons.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Pats have serious O line issues.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Pats have serious O line issues.
    They shouldn't. They have a 4th year starter at LT, a third year starter at C, a fifth year starter at RG, and Vollmer at RT. Only Marcus Cannon is inexperienced, and they felt good enough about him to get rid of Mankins. I know they struggled against Miami, but teams have bad games. Brady barely got touched when he did drop back against Minnesota. I see a noticeable difference in Brady. It sucks because I thought he'd bounce back, and I drafted him my fantasy league. He's turned into a game manager because he's just not very good on the deep ball anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    Arod makes a huge difference - he makes it a contest.

So instead of scoring 10 pts, I see us scoring about 31 against them... yes, he makes a huge difference.

Our defense is still our defense - even with the changes and improvements we've made from last year... dunderdummy is still our DC - best he can be is okay; worst he can be is disaster.

45-31 Lions.
    The entire problem with your take is that you discount certain facts.

The defense was on the field for 40 minutes of the game. The offense turned the ball over 3 times and only managed 126 total yards of offense despite the defense getting 2 picks and 2 fumble recoveries (one for a TD).

The Packers D actually came to play that game, but was completely hung out to dry by the offense.

So saying "oh, they put up 'x' yards" ignores the fact that the offense never moved the ball and based on TOP alone the Lions were bound to rack up monster numbers.

Here's what the offense did last year:

Punt, FG (after an out out of bounds KO), punt, punt, punt, punt, turnover, turnover, punt, punt, turnover.

Here's what the defense did:

Fumble Recovery, Allowed FG, Fumble Recovery for TD, Interception, Allowed TD, Allowed TD, Missed FG, Allowed TD, Interception, Punt, Allowed TD, Allowed TD, End of Game.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Anybody know who the Packer's activated to take Mulumba's spot?
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    I don't buy it. Edelman is their best receiver. He's pretty darn good--in the Welker mold. Gronk is back. Vereen is one of the best pass catching RBs in football. Dobson has talent--although he missed the first game. Amendola is a decent slot receiver. Wright caught 56 passes in Tampa Bay last year. While that's not the best receiving crops, he's not completely devoid of weapons.
    I totally blanked on Edelman. That does improve things a bit.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    Anybody know who the Packer's activated to take Mulumba's spot?
    Nobody yet.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Questionable: RT Bryan Bulaga (knee), CB Casey Hayward (glute)
    Probable: S Hyde (knee)
    Out: ILB Brad Jones (quad)
    OLB Andy Mulumba (knee)
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Goddamn right Hayward needs some yoga. Every yoga instructor I've ever perved on seems like they've taken real good care of those glutes.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Questionable: RT Bryan Bulaga (knee), CB Casey Hayward (glute)
    Probable: S Hyde (knee)
    Out: ILB Brad Jones (quad)
    OLB Andy Mulumba (knee)
    So, Bulaga and Hayward won't be active on game day.

Quote Originally Posted by pittstang5 View Post
    So, Bulaga and Hayward won't be active on game day.
    On the Packers, it does seem that questionable ranges from WILL play to WILL probably spend day in the hospital.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Striker View Post
    The entire problem with your take is that you discount certain facts.

The defense was on the field for 40 minutes of the game. The offense turned the ball over 3 times and only managed 126 total yards of offense despite the defense getting 2 picks and 2 fumble recoveries (one for a TD).

The Packers D actually came to play that game, but was completely hung out to dry by the offense.

So saying "oh, they put up 'x' yards" ignores the fact that the offense never moved the ball and based on TOP alone the Lions were bound to rack up monster numbers.
    Seriously, you can't be saying that the Packers defensive performance last T-giving was due to a lack of TOP??

What of a game where 2 great defensive teams slug it out to a 6-3 score?? Each team forced 8 punts... is forcing punts so out of vogue that it is considered fascist now??

TOP matters to some extent at the end of the game - after the defense has been out there for 75 plays, but if they're in the 3rd quarter, and the opposing offense has only snapped the ball 53 times, and have already put up 35 pts?? You can't fall back on TOP as a defense for the defense.

Guys running wide open all over the field, huge holes that RB's are walking thru for big gains... we gave up 241 yds rushing in that game - that's HS stuff.

Go ahead and try to defend dunderdummy - he's all yours.
    wist

I looked it up - Detroit ran 21 plays in the 1st quarter. Drove the length of the field twice, only to be stymied by a Bush fumble; the 2nd drive ended at the beginning of the 2nd quarter with a Detroit FG. Nobody was gassed then - if they were, they're not in good enough shape to be playing in the NFL.

We produced 2 TO's in the 2nd quarter that produced our 10 pts - after that, it was complete Detroit domination in every phase of the game - including special teams.

I don't think anyone expected us to win that game - but you have to put up a fight... if not for them shooting themselves in the foot, the score at halftime would have been 31-0, and 31-0 would have been a more accurate indicator of just how dominant Detroit was on both sides of the ball.

Gassed defense had nothing to do with the 1st half.
    wist

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    TOP isn't so much about being gassed on defense. If a team has the ball for a game and a half worth of offense, you'd expect them to put up a game and a half worth of points.

offense and defense are very connected.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.