Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Official Packers vs. Lions Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    Seriously, you can't be saying that the Packers defensive performance last T-giving was due to a lack of TOP??

What of a game where 2 great defensive teams slug it out to a 6-3 score?? Each team forced 8 punts... is forcing punts so out of vogue that it is considered fascist now??

TOP matters to some extent at the end of the game - after the defense has been out there for 75 plays, but if they're in the 3rd quarter, and the opposing offense has only snapped the ball 53 times, and have already put up 35 pts?? You can't fall back on TOP as a defense for the defense.

Guys running wide open all over the field, huge holes that RB's are walking thru for big gains... we gave up 241 yds rushing in that game - that's HS stuff.

Go ahead and try to defend dunderdummy - he's all yours.
    The power of your arguments are further strengthened by implying those seeing what all went wrong with that game are "fascist". And Dunderdummy. What eloquence.

Turnovers are a part of the game. Personally I'll take them and/or punts just as long as the other team doesn't score.

And then you're nitpicking the FG. Detroit's first score of the game. The defense tightened up and allowed a FG, keeping the game entirely within reach. I'm not saying the defense would have been perfect, they probably still allow in the ballpark of 24-30 points, but by that point in the season we also knew that the defense couldn't be leaned on like in 2010 to win games. The offense didn't do their job (4 drives were under a minute), the defense bent and then broke.

And I'm not defending Capers. I was (and still am) ready for him to hit the trail last season. But I am defending the Packers prospects this year at Detroit against someone who seems to be the resident "chicken little" and is trying to justify a ludicrous prediction using what happened in a game last year without Rodgers, with two really terrible safeties, and half a Clay Matthews.

I don't know what to think about this game. I was excited, prior to the season, by the additions on defense and the idea of actually trying to do something differently (though I never was nor am sure what the hell that "more personnel, fewer packages" thing was exactly about). But the team came out as flat as a flapper against the SeaShits and the Jest, and they still look like last year's defense.

To top it off, the offense is sporadic, and Lacy does not look like last year's rookie of the year. So I don't know.

That Lions defensive line is tough. That may be the key - if this Packer offensive line, which is supposed to be better than anything they've had for a few years - can control the LOS.

God I hope the defense plays well.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    That Lions defensive line is tough. That may be the key - if this Packer offensive line, which is supposed to be better than anything they've had for a few years - can control the LOS.

God I hope the defense plays well.
    The Packers only chance to control the LOS is their hurry up offense. I usually don't like it, but this Sunday I'd like to see Suh and company get no rest between plays. That along with some misdirection/Rodgers rolling out and the offense will be fine.

The defense is another story. Capers has to figure out how to get pressure on Stafford. If he has time to throw, we're in trouble.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Striker View Post
    The power of your arguments are further strengthened by implying those seeing what all went wrong with that game are "fascist". And Dunderdummy. What eloquence.

Turnovers are a part of the game. Personally I'll take them and/or punts just as long as the other team doesn't score.

And then you're nitpicking the FG. Detroit's first score of the game. The defense tightened up and allowed a FG, keeping the game entirely within reach. I'm not saying the defense would have been perfect, they probably still allow in the ballpark of 24-30 points, but by that point in the season we also knew that the defense couldn't be leaned on like in 2010 to win games. The offense didn't do their job (4 drives were under a minute), the defense bent and then broke.

And I'm not defending Capers. I was (and still am) ready for him to hit the trail last season. But I am defending the Packers prospects this year at Detroit against someone who seems to be the resident "chicken little" and is trying to justify a ludicrous prediction using what happened in a game last year without Rodgers, with two really terrible safeties, and half a Clay Matthews.
    Your attempted defense of our defense against the Lions in last year's 40-10 debacle is sorely lacking.

You said our defense wore down b/c the offense couldn't keep the ball - I showed how we gave up 169 yds and almost the entire 1st quarter of TOP - so you don't want to talk about that anymore??

Your argument that the defense wore down b/c of poor offense is off the table. They had the ball for 10:57 in the first quarter - not b/c of our offense, but b/c the defense couldn't get off the field. We got the fumble on the opening drive, but only after they drove 69 yds, and took 5:24 off the clock.

Were they jetlagged from the 16 hour flight over to Detroit??

Then on the second drive - that you celebrate ending in only a FG - they drove 80 yds and took another 5:33 off the clock.

Here are the running plays up the middle in the 1st Quarter:

1st and 10 at DET 45
    J.Bell up the middle to DET 49 for 4 yards

1st and 10 at GB 34
    J.Bell up the middle to GB 26 for 8 yards

2nd and 9 at GB 21
    (Shotgun) R.Bush up the middle to GB 12 for 9 yards

1st and 10 at GB 12
    (Shotgun) R.Bush up the middle to GB 9 for 3 yards (fumble)

Next drive, 1st Quarter

1st and 15 at DET 6 (after a Detroit holding penalty)
    R.Bush up the middle to DET 19 for 13 yards

2nd and 2 at DET 19
    J.Bell left tackle to DET 31 for 12 yards

(First and 15 from their 6 yd line, and we give up back-to-back runs for 25 yds??) What's wrong with that picture??

Some great defensive plays in the 2nd Quarter??

3rd and 1 at DET 32
    J.Ross right end to GB 44 for 24 yards

3rd and 4 at DET 21
    (Shotgun) M.Stafford pass deep left to R.Bush to GB 47 for 32 yards

2nd and 3 at GB 5
    M.Stafford pass short middle to J.Ross for 5 yards, TOUCHDOWN

2nd and 1 at GB 24
    R.Bush up the middle to GB 1 for 23 yards (S.Shields; M.Burnett).

1st and 1 at GB 1
    R.Bush left end for 1 yard, TOUCHDOWN.

---------------------------------------------------------------

The offense was putrid, and we were never going to win that game; but the defense was equally putrid from the first snap to the last.
    wist

From this Tanier preview, I noticed some things don't change.

New kicker Nate Freese has missed all three of his field-goal attempts beyond 30 yards, and Jeremy Ross fumbled a kickoff return.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    They have a great d line but do they have the depth to play the whole game in hurry up?
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Oday View Post
    They have a great d line but do they have the depth to play the whole game in hurry up?
    My thought exactly. Wear their fat guys out. The guy I'm really worried about is Levy. http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...275864021.html

He's a game changer. Too bad the Packers don't do a better job of scouting players right in their own back yard.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    Your attempted defense of our defense against the Lions in last year's 40-10 debacle is sorely lacking.

You said our defense wore down b/c the offense couldn't keep the ball - I showed how we gave up 169 yds and almost the entire 1st quarter of TOP - so you don't want to talk about that anymore??

Your argument that the defense wore down b/c of poor offense is off the table. They had the ball for 10:57 in the first quarter - not b/c of our offense, but b/c the defense couldn't get off the field. We got the fumble on the opening drive, but only after they drove 69 yds, and took 5:24 off the clock.

Were they jetlagged from the 16 hour flight over to Detroit??

Then on the second drive - that you celebrate ending in only a FG - they drove 80 yds and took another 5:33 off the clock.

Here are the running plays up the middle in the 1st Quarter:

1st and 10 at DET 45
    J.Bell up the middle to DET 49 for 4 yards

1st and 10 at GB 34
    J.Bell up the middle to GB 26 for 8 yards

2nd and 9 at GB 21
    (Shotgun) R.Bush up the middle to GB 12 for 9 yards

1st and 10 at GB 12
    (Shotgun) R.Bush up the middle to GB 9 for 3 yards (fumble)

Next drive, 1st Quarter

1st and 15 at DET 6 (after a Detroit holding penalty)
    R.Bush up the middle to DET 19 for 13 yards

2nd and 2 at DET 19
    J.Bell left tackle to DET 31 for 12 yards

(First and 15 from their 6 yd line, and we give up back-to-back runs for 25 yds??) What's wrong with that picture??

Some great defensive plays in the 2nd Quarter??

3rd and 1 at DET 32
    J.Ross right end to GB 44 for 24 yards

3rd and 4 at DET 21
    (Shotgun) M.Stafford pass deep left to R.Bush to GB 47 for 32 yards

2nd and 3 at GB 5
    M.Stafford pass short middle to J.Ross for 5 yards, TOUCHDOWN

2nd and 1 at GB 24
    R.Bush up the middle to GB 1 for 23 yards (S.Shields; M.Burnett).

1st and 1 at GB 1
    R.Bush left end for 1 yard, TOUCHDOWN.

---------------------------------------------------------------

The offense was putrid, and we were never going to win that game; but the defense was equally putrid from the first snap to the last.
    First, TOP covers the entire game. I never singularly pointed out the first half. Overall the defense kept the game "manageable" and then everything went further to hell (plus, if the offense actually did something with one of their possessions beyond 3 and out maybe the defense "looks" better).

Oh, and let's try this whole "reading comprehension" thing.

I'm not saying the defense would have been perfect, they probably still allow in the ballpark of 24-30 points, but by that point in the season we also knew that the defense couldn't be leaned on like in 2010 to win games. The offense didn't do their job (4 drives were under a minute), the defense bent and then broke.
    We saw the Jekyll/Hyde nature of that defense all that season. They'd show bursts of brilliance mired in runs of absolute mediocrity. Despite the offense generating a grand total of 3 points that half, they still "held" the Lions to 17 points despite the offense doing next to nothing. That being said, my main point is still along the lines of "trying to justify a ludicrous prediction using what happened in a game last year without Rodgers, with two really terrible safeties, and half a Clay Matthews." is crazy.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    I think this was the evaluation during training camp before Barclay went down, then Tretter went on IR DTR, Bulaga got dinged in the first game and the Pack was forced to see how Sherrod would do as depth. If Barclay doesn't go down, perhaps Sherrod isn't even with the team anymore. The group went from being encouraging to having some quesiton marks. Linsley has been OK overall. It's RT that where depth has been tested to the max.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    I think this was the evaluation during training camp before Barclay went down, then Tretter went on IR DTR, Bulaga got dinged in the first game and the Pack was forced to see how Sherrod would do as depth. If Barclay doesn't go down, perhaps Sherrod isn't even with the team anymore. The group went from being encouraging to having some quesiton marks. Linsley has been OK overall. It's RT that where depth has been tested to the max.

I'm going to guess that the Packers play it their usual conservative way, and both Bulaga and Hayward will not play. This means it's time for Sherrod to prove he can play in the NFL.

I think the Lions feel a stronger sense of desperation, so I believe their "questionables" will be active.

I was reading the Detroit Free Press about this game, and their so-called experts are picking the Packers to win. But what really caught my eye was this analysis of the Packer secondary: "Green Bay has one of the most explosive offenses in the NFL, but a suspect defense that's thin in the secondary ."

Whoa. This coming from a writer who sees, daily, the Lion's secondary, which lists the top three slot cornerbacks as out, and the offseason acquisition at safety, Idhegibo (sp?) as questionable.

Fairley is listed as having a biceps issue, and Ansah is also questionable. I don't know it all that will have an impact. But Bahkteria and the whole line need to have a really good game. It could make the difference.

And I am curious to see if the damn defense plays any better this week. It's time to show some sense of improvement, no? If they can sustain what they started against the Jest after that stupid first quarter-and-change, then good. If Stafford starts out tearing them up, I might just cry.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Sherrod has had trouble on the road with noise. How loud does the stadium get Fritz?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

It's madness, PB. I saw the Lions/Bears Monday night two years ago, and it was the loudest place I've ever been in my life, period. Sporting events, concerts, women screaming in my ear. Ever.

If it goes the Lions' way early, it will be impossible for the offense to hear anything at all.

KYPack

It's madness, PB. I saw the Lions/Bears Monday night two years ago, and it was the loudest place I've ever been in my life, period. Sporting events, concerts, women screaming in my ear. Ever.

If it goes the Lions' way early, it will be impossible for the offense to hear anything at all.
    Maybe that is why Bulaga is healthy.

Just looked this up conversing with Red, Football Oustiders ranks of Team Units

Overall: Packers 12th (+10.0), Lions 7th (+23.8)

Offense: Packers 11th (+10.7), Lions 8th (+11.8)

Defense: Packers 23 (+9.0), Lions 3rd (-25.2) - ratings in terms of offensive success, so positive D ratings are bad

Slocum: Packers 2nd (+8.5), Lions 31st (-13.2)

i don't see how our ST can be ranked that high. anyone who's actually watched them knows they sucks

guess football outsiders considers kick returns to the 10 or 15 to be positive plays

or shanked punts, or dumb running into the punter penalties

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    i don't see how our ST can be ranked that high. anyone who's actually watched them knows they sucks

guess football outsiders considers kick returns to the 10 or 15 to be positive plays

or shanked punts, or dumb running into the punter penalties
    Who had better special teams today? Ross had two good returns but otherwise it was the Packers. Plus their kicker isn't helping.

well cobb had one good return. harris had one that didn't suck to the 25

other then that, the difference would be that our kicker didn't miss any FG's, because he didn't get to attempt any

KO returns

harris 2 at 24 and 26
    ross 2 for 22, and 34

punt returns

cobb 2 of 0 and 22
    ross 2 of 4 and 12

punting

masthay 5 punts 39.8 average long of 48 two punts inside the 20
    martin, 2 punts for 40.5 average long of 55, 1 inside the 20

kicking

crosby 0/0 fgs, 1/1 xps
    freese 1/2 and 2/2

so if anything, our st's were slightly better. which still isn't saying a whole lot