Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Packers vs. Lions Discussion Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    I think MM should consider diplomacy for this one. Perhaps we can negotiate a tie. Anything to keep the soft delicate bodies of our players out of the ring with those physical Lions brutes.
    Better to negotiate than to coach scared!

P.S. 3irty1, did you see Al Harris Jr. play yet for So. Carolina? I watched the game Saturday against Georgia and the kid played pretty good. Made a couple of big plays. He's gonna be a good one. I hope the Pack drafts him when he comes out.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

I think MM should consider diplomacy for this one. Perhaps we can negotiate a tie. Anything to keep the soft delicate bodies of our players out of the ring with those physical Lions brutes.
    I doubt the Lions would let him off the hook for anything less than a negotiated ten point loss. In reality that is a gift that MM should jump at. There are still 13 weeks left to be played, and this would be accepting the inevitable and avoiding a week's worth of season-ending injuries.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    I doubt the Lions would let him off the hook for anything less than a negotiated ten point loss. In reality that is a gift that MM should jump at. There are still 13 weeks left to be played, and this would be accepting the inevitable and avoiding a week's worth of season-ending injuries.
    If Pete Carroll were our coach he would get us a tie. McCarthy just doesn't care about hard bargaining at the negotiating table and always resorts to the same three finesse tactics. The Lions' best alternative to negotiation is to whoop our ass and create an unrealistic expectation of dominance for their city and fanbase. A principled negotiator should be able to anchor with that.
    Last edited by 3irty1; 09-18-2014 at 11:28 AM.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

They'll struggle to stop us?!?!? What are you talking about, the Packers offense is the worst in the league. Any success it might have is the result of dumb luck or smoke and mirrors. The Packer QB and receivers are worse than its secondary. Oh, and the sky is falling---again!.
    I have us putting up 31 pts against them... as for our defense against their offense?? Yes, we are better on defense this year from last - we're not running that idiotic 2-4 as our base; but, last year in their place??

We gave up 40 pts and 561 yds to them. 320 passing, 241 rushing.

I think it will be a much more competitive game - how can it not with Rodgers playing? Add Rodgers into the mix with an improved defense, and we're in the game, but I still think we lose.

If we can beat Detroit in Detroit?? Maybe it will indicate our arrow is pointing up, and we can make something of this season - but dunderdummy isn't at all trustworthy, and MM is very stubborn about his 3 zone running plays... so I think we struggle until those 2 get their shit together.
    wist

They'll struggle to stop us?!?!? What are you talking about, the Packers offense is the worst in the league. Any success it might have is the result of dumb luck or smoke and mirrors. The Packer QB and receivers are worse than its secondary. Oh, and the sky is falling---again!.
    I looked for an old Tank McNamara comic where the Lions changed the game time but didn't tell the Bears. The Bears showed up at halftime, and the Lions were only up 21-0! *rofl*
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Poe's law strikes again.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Poe's law strikes again.
    Well, "Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook" [sic] and I'm not sure which Maxi is!
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    Well, "Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook" [sic] and I'm not sure which Maxi is!
    LOL. I confess to being a sufficiently advanced (in age) kook!

Actually, I agree with pretty much everything pittstang wrote and pretty much the opposite of everything I wrote.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

How many NFL teams have two starters on the defensive line as bad as Datone Jones and Letroy Guion? I'm guessing none.

That said, I expect both those guys to get better through the season. And if Guion plateaus maybe Pennel can do the job by end of regular season.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    How many NFL teams have two starters on the defensive line as bad as Datone Jones and Letroy Guion? I'm guessing none.

That said, I expect both those guys to get better through the season. And if Guion plateaus maybe Pennel can do the job by end of regular season.
    Is D. Jones really that bad? I thought he was making strides?

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    In 2013 Lacy ran for 99 yards in the first game against DET when DET had to respect the pass from ARod.
    Lacy ran for 16 yards in the second game against DET when DET didn't have to respect the pass from Flynn.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    In 2013 Lacy ran for 99 yards in the first game against DET when DET had to respect the pass from ARod.
    Lacy ran for 16 yards in the second game against DET when DET didn't have to respect the pass from Flynn.
    Plus, I think this was a "revenge" game for the Lions against Flynn for his record-breaking game against them in 2012.

Rodgers is 9-0 vs. Detroit (not including the game he was injured early). Hope it continues. We got killed without him. Wonder how Detroit would fare without Stafford.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Rodgers is 9-0 vs. Detroit (not including the game he was injured early). Hope it continues. We got killed without him. Wonder how Detroit would fare without Stafford.
    You gotta be careful with Detroit backup QB mojo. Shaun Hill and Orlovsky have looked good against the Packers.

Almost as potent as Indianapolis Paul Justins.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Is there any other team in the league that is as QB dependent as Green Bay??

It has never made sense to me that a team would have a philosophy which in effect says bad defense is acceptable, as long as it is supposedly predicated upon producing turnovers - and failing that, is to be bailed out by the QB.

The defense for bad defense is that our QB is awesome?? Seriously, that has never, ever made sense to me. Bad defense is bad defense.

I would rather have a defense that produces 0 turnovers per game, but forces 8 punts/game and only gives up 13 pts/game. This nonsense that says giving up 30 pts/game is okay, as long as you produce 3 TO's/game is mindboggling to me.

The Packer team philosphy that says bad defense is acceptable is why we can't compete - at all!!! - if our QB goes down. If our QB goes down, we are then stuck with that pathetic defense that can't keep you in games. Instead of being in a 13-10 game where you have chance, you're blown out 40-10.
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    Is there any other team in the league that is as QB dependent as Green Bay??
    There are now probably three elite QBs (Manning, Rodgers, Brees), and all three of those teams are as dependent on that elite QB as the others. Pittsburgh is highly dependent on Big Ben too--as is San Diego with Rivers. After watching Brady the first two weeks, I'm leaning towards dropping him out of the elite category. His downfield passing ability has fallen off dramatically. It's true that there are some teams that have a good QB that are not as dependent on that QB (namely Seattle, San Fran, Carolina, maybe Cincinnati and Arizona), but those teams are about as scarce as teams with elite QBs. Those teams have arguably the five best defenses in football. Those teams have been fortunate that their QBs have mostly been playing on their rookie contracts--except for Arizona. Things are about to change there.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    There are now probably three elite QBs (Manning, Rodgers, Brees), and all three of those teams are as dependent on that elite QB as the others. Pittsburgh is highly dependent on Big Ben too--as is San Diego with Rivers. After watching Brady the first two weeks, I'm leaning towards dropping him out of the elite category. His downfield passing ability has fallen off dramatically. It's true that there are some teams that have a good QB that are not as dependent on that QB (namely Seattle, San Fran, Carolina, maybe Cincinnati and Arizona), but those teams are about as scarce as teams with elite QBs. Those teams have arguably the five best defenses in football. Those teams have been fortunate that their QBs have mostly been playing on their rookie contracts--except for Arizona. Things are about to change there.
    Brady has no WR to throw to worth a damn. When Danny Amendola is your best WR, you've got problems. So I won't put him out of the elite category yet.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    Brady has no WR to throw to worth a damn. When Danny Amendola is your best WR, you've got problems. So I won't put him out of the elite category yet.
    I don't buy it. Edelman is their best receiver. He's pretty darn good--in the Welker mold. Gronk is back. Vereen is one of the best pass catching RBs in football. Dobson has talent--although he missed the first game. Amendola is a decent slot receiver. Wright caught 56 passes in Tampa Bay last year. While that's not the best receiving crops, he's not completely devoid of weapons.

I don't agree with Wist's characterization of the Packer line as "ballerinas"; in the case of Bahkteria at LT I wish it were so. I'm afraid Ziggy Ansah is far too quick for Bahk, and it won't be long before MM will have to shift help over to the left side. That will leave Sherrod on an island, and that could be troublesome. At the least, it'll mean keeping more guys in to block, thus not allowing GB's superior receiving corps to take advantage of the weak Lion secondary.

The good news is that Ansah did not practice yesterday.

Who knows what the hell with happen? I am hoping that the Packer defense actually shows up, from the beginning of the game, this time. Another shitty performance from that unit and my hopes for this season will be severely deflated, because that'll mean MM's whole new emphasis is just a bag of hot air.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack