Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: How good is Cobb?

Hard to tell from the TV broadcast what type of separation our receivers are getting and what type of coverage they are seeing.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Hard to tell from the TV broadcast what type of separation our receivers are getting and what type of coverage they are seeing.
    Lot of Cover 2 especially after they lost another CB. JSO said it was Cover 2 Man outside with LBs taking very deep drops.

Same story as its been for the last 2.5 years. When they need to take short chunk yardage for a multi-play drive they find a way to self destruct. That pass to Jordy on the last drive was a perfect example. He had a likely first down to Adams on the other side.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Lot of Cover 2 especially after they lost another CB. JSO said it was Cover 2 Man outside with LBs taking very deep drops.

Same story as its been for the last 2.5 years. When they need to take short chunk yardage for a multi-play drive they find a way to self destruct. That pass to Jordy on the last drive was a perfect example. He had a likely first down to Adams on the other side.
    3rd and 2...guaranteed pass 20+ yards downfield. It is infuriating. Go get a damn RB that can catch a ball out of the backfield who is at least slightly faster than my grandmother.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post
    3rd and 2...guaranteed pass 20+ yards downfield. It is infuriating. Go get a damn RB that can catch a ball out of the backfield who is at least slightly faster than my grandmother.
    I don't mind it normally. They have the talents (Nelson now, maybe Adams and Janis) to pull it off. But just like holding onto the ball, there are certain times its not advised. Fourth down is not the time for a contested shot at the end zone if someone else was open for a first.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    I don't mind it normally. They have the talents (Nelson now, maybe Adams and Janis) to pull it off. But just like holding onto the ball, there are certain times its not advised. Fourth down is not the time for a contested shot at the end zone if someone else was open for a first.
    Take what their giving you, don't get too locked onto one or two guys.

For Cover 2, it would help to have a pass catching TE to work the middle of the field.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Do the Packers in general have the talent at receiver they need? Over the last few years they have lost Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, James Jones and Jermichael Finley. They have been replaced by Randall Cobb, Jarrett Boykin, Davante Adams and Richard Rodgers. At the least, there may be some growing pains before we see the kind of offense we're used to.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Cobb will be fine. He's a little rusty after being injured last year. He's missed at least 4 balls this year that he seemed able to grab in the past, but he's usually rated one of the better hands guys by FO.

Quarless is even coming on a bit as someone Rodgers is starting to trust. He won't be flashy, but he's had some good hands in traffic this year and Rodgers is finding him a bit more. Bostick is still a big ? If he can knock off the dumb penalties, he might get a shot to impress.

The 3rd WR spot is troubling. That's a key position in the McCarthy/Rodgers offense and Boykin fell off of a cliff this year. Adams has flashed a bit there, but he's still pretty green.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Do the Packers in general have the talent at receiver they need? Over the last few years they have lost Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, James Jones and Jermichael Finley. They have been replaced by Randall Cobb, Jarrett Boykin, Davante Adams and Richard Rodgers. At the least, there may be some growing pains before we see the kind of offense we're used to.
    They definitely don't have what they did. How fast they develop is an open question.

Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    Cobb will be fine. He's a little rusty after being injured last year. He's missed at least 4 balls this year that he seemed able to grab in the past, but he's usually rated one of the better hands guys by FO.
    After preseason and three games, a 4th year pro can't use the rusty card.
    I'm buying into argument that Cobb needs to be a slot receiver. He's not good enough to be a #2, Janis or Adams will have to be solution.

I think the love being shown for Janis here is a bit too much. I question if he can run good routes or even run the offense. I don't see him being any better at getting separation because of that. Jennings did not get open because he was the fastest guy out there.

Thus, I don't see Janis doing anything more than spot work; however, maybe he should be doing that. Everyone knows that he has good speed. Teams might be worried about covering him with a slow DB and without deep help.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    I think the love being shown for Janis here is a bit too much. I question if he can run good routes or even run the offense. I don't see him being any better at getting separation because of that. Jennings did not get open because he was the fastest guy out there.

Thus, I don't see Janis doing anything more than spot work; however, maybe he should be doing that. Everyone knows that he has good speed. Teams might be worried about covering him with a slow DB and without deep help.
    This.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

McGinn says Cobb is already playing exclusively in slot. And he still isn't cutting it.

Not once did Cobb line up outside. All day long he had the slot two-way go against the Lions' fifth and sixth nickel backs, Danny Gorrer and Mohammed Seisay. A hard grader would give Cobb two drops. More alarming was the fact he couldn't beat these newly arrived free agents like a drum. Playing slot in this offense with this quarterback should be a ticket to enormous production and the stardom that goes with that. But Cobb's ho-hum play throughout training camp has carried over into the regular season.
    http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...276415381.html

His 5 tds lead the league.

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    His 5 tds lead the league.
    All he does is score touchdowns.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen