Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How good is Cobb?

How good is Cobb?

I kinda see Randall Cobb as a good #3. He's not as good as Jennings at getting open. James Jones was more productive.

Cobb is a good returner. A nice utility player. He can run out of backfield, but is no Reggie Bush.

My memory of Cobb's career is fuzzy. Has he shown enough to suspect he'll develop into a strong #1 or #2?

much better than jones as a wr, not as good as jennings (when he was here and healthy) as a wr, better all-around than both.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    I kinda see Randall Cobb as a good #3. He's not as good as Jennings at getting open. James Jones was more productive.

Cobb is a good returner. A nice utility player. He can run out of backfield, but is no Reggie Bush.

My memory of Cobb's career is fuzzy. Has he shown enough to suspect he'll develop into a strong #1 or #2?
    SEASON TEAM GP REC TGTS YDS AVG LNG TD FD FUM LST
    • GB
    15 25 31 375 15.0 61 1 15 0 0
    • GB
    15 80 104 954 11.9 39 8 45 0 0
    • GB
    6 31 46 433 14.0 48 4 18 0 0

In the past he's been a solid reciever. Definitely one of the better slot recievers in the NFL.

He's going to need a lot of catches to get pro bowler type numbers though. So far this season he hasn't been near what he was in 2012 IMO. The last two weeks he has been failing to get separation from linebackers and failing to make anything happen after the catch.

I'd say Jennings > Cobb > Jones
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    much better than jones as a wr, not as good as jennings (when he was here and healthy) as a wr, better all-around than both.
    Jones and Jennings are both past their primes. I don't think Cobb is as good as either at their peaks.

I can't really digest the stats. Cobb has had a slow start this year, he will probably pick it up. I just don't have a memory of him making great catches like I saw from Jones.

What are Cobb's assets as a receiver?
    Last edited by Harlan Huckleby; 09-18-2014 at 08:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    I'd say Jennings > Cobb > Jones
    I had real boner for Jones after his great season - was that last year or year before when he lead league in TDs?

Cobb hasn't sent a tingle up my leg for a very long time - maybe his injury last year pushed his great plays into distant memory.

Jones and Jennings are both past their primes. I don't think Cobb is as good as either at their peaks.

I can't really digest the stats. Cobb has had a slow start this year, he will probably pick it up. I just don't have a memory of him making great catches like I saw from Jones.

Cobb has already had a better year than Jones ever has IMO.

The best thing about Cobb is the best thing about every good slot guy. He has suddeness in his cuts, runs clean routes, good hands, and has a feel for leveraging defenders to find windows. As a bonus he's dangerous in the open field which can turn those quick developing underneith routes into big plays. As a bonus, bonus he can get you out of a game at running back or quarterback.

He seems to be at his best when Rodgers gets in trouble and breaks the pocket. It's when all the routes have been run and it's every man for himself that he and Rodgers seem to have a real connection. When he was a kid and they were diagraming plays on the QBs palm, Cobb was surely the best player on the field.

I had real boner for Jones after his great season - was that last year or year before when he lead league in TDs?

Cobb hasn't sent a tingle up my leg for a very long time - maybe his injury last year pushed his great plays into distant memory.
    The market reception Jones got should tell you all you need to know. Cobb is just a much more desireable mold.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    I think Cobb is special, and I think as the year goes on, his opportunities will come. I think Jordy just has the hot hand, and why wouldn't you keep feeding him?
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

I hope the best is yet to come this year because so far he's not creating a ton of separation or much yac.
    Go PACK

Jennings at his best was better than Cobb right now. I think Jones is closer to Boykin than Cobb.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Jones played a different role. He was the big, strong kid who could out muscle and make the spectacular catch. Cobb's the slippery, shifty guy who's supposed to make a killing from the slot and with the YAC.

I think Harlans correct, I think the injury may have robbed him of some of his speed.

Rodgers mentioned on his weekly interview with Wilde that TE's haven't had a lot of opportunities because they've been staying in to block more. That is probably affecting Cobb. Getting Bulaga back and getting Bostick out there could help the situation.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Ummm...Cobb has nothing on Jennings. Nothing.

Jennings in his prime was one of the most underrated wideouts in the league. Just a deadly route runner, creates big separation, beats guys deep regularly, and was crazy clutch (3rd and 10 in the superbowl??). This is not even debatable.

Cobb through two weeks has had a lot of trouble getting open. Been a big disappointment so far.

Even better disappointment has been Boykin. Not just because he hasn't produced and is being surpassed by Adams. But also because part of the reason we let Jones walk was because he was supposed to be up and coming. If last year was fluke, he screws us because Jones would have been cheap to bring back.
    Draft Brandin Cooks WR OSU!

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Jennings at his best was better than Cobb right now. I think Jones is closer to Boykin than Cobb.
    Boykin looked like Jones on some plays last year - strong, good body control, some big catches. But Jones had a season where he made big plays week after week.

Jones is over the hill now.

I'm confused by Cobb, I'm really unsure what kind of season he will turn in. He did look like Percy Harvin in flashes in the past. Haven't seen one of those flashes for a while.

What has Cobb done as a rusher?

Cobb isn't the same kind of receiver as Jennings and Jones were and this is probably why we drafted Adams last spring. Cobb is still a slot receiver and if Adams continues to come on Randall will return to his spot.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Cobb isn't the same kind of receiver as Jennings and Jones were and this is probably why we drafted Adams last spring. Cobb is still a slot receiver and if Adams continues to come on Randall will return to his spot.
    Agree 100%. It's fashionable to say the Packers have a deep corps of WR's. The truth is they used to. In 2011 our starters were Jennings, Driver and Finley at TE. Jordy was a part-time starter with Jones and Cobb on the bench. Now that is a deep corps of receivers.

In the last few years we've lost Jennings, Driver, Jones and Finley. We've replaced them with...Boykin, Davante Adams, Janis and Richard Rodgers. That's a downgrade by anybody's calculation.

Jordy and Cobb are our starters. Cobb is a natural slot receiver and Jordy our natural downfield threat. Cobb is quick not fast. He's forced into a position of going downfield which is not his strength.

Seriously, the braintrust needs to get Adams and especially Janis into the picture ASAP. Adams is Jones-like. Janis is Jordy-like. We need their help now.

As for TE's? We should probably let them stay occupied blocking. None of them show any stand-out receiving ability.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    Agree 100%. It's fashionable to say the Packers have a deep corps of WR's. The truth is they used to. In 2011 our starters were Jennings, Driver and Finley at TE. Jordy was a part-time starter with Jones and Cobb on the bench. Now that is a deep corps of receivers.

In the last few years we've lost Jennings, Driver, Jones and Finley. We've replaced them with...Boykin, Davante Adams, Janis and Richard Rodgers. That's a downgrade by anybody's calculation.

Jordy and Cobb are our starters. Cobb is a natural slot receiver and Jordy our natural downfield threat. Cobb is quick not fast. He's forced into a position of going downfield which is not his strength.

Seriously, the braintrust needs to get Adams and especially Janis into the picture ASAP. Adams is Jones-like. Janis is Jordy-like. We need their help now.

As for TE's? We should probably let them stay occupied blocking. None of them show any stand-out receiving ability.
    Are you trollin' again? Because I don't want to embarrass myself by agreeing with you

Harlan, I'm pretty sure you are! Pretty rose coloured glasses talking about Jones' productive seasons, he is second probably only to Bush in hate spewed at him for inconsistent performances and missed opportunities!

Jones' career year is a push when compared to Cobb's second season. The only number that is better, the TDs, is an outlier, Jones' second best total there is half that.
    Code:
    2012 	Jones 	16 	64 	784 	12.3 	14
    2012    Cobb 	15 	80 	954 	11.9 	8
    You can't compare Cobb to Jones or Jennings, he plays a vastly different role in the Pack's offense. He is the successor to Driver's X role, he's shifty and quick, and fearless going over the middle. Driver was crazy durable, which is one thing Cobb has not been so far.

We'll see if Adams and Janis provide depth. Adams is off to a good start, Janis we haven't seen yet, but he was a 7th round pick so he's expected to take more time to have an impact. Boykin seems like a bottom of the roster guy who will be churned out.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

M
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post

I'm with you up to your last point. I think the new kid might have the receiving skills.

Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post
    M

I'm with you up to your last point. I think the new kid might have the receiving skills.
    Rodgers is a plodder. He's more Bubba Franks or Ed West than Jermichael Finley. Bostick is our best hope for a dynamic playmaker at TE.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson