Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Abuse within the NFL games

Green & Gold Shades Rat HOFer channtheman's Avatar

Abuse within the NFL games

Watching the New York Jets DL Muhammad Wilkerson #96 today made me wonder about what his punishment for swinging not 1 or 2 punches but possibly 4 or 5 (I'd have to rewatch the game and it also depends on what you consider a punch). How different are his actions in todays football game against the numerous Packer players than Ray Rice's against his then fiancé?

Should Wilkerson be subjected to the same punishments as those who are involved in domestic abuse? Are his actions less bad because he is not in a relationship with any of the Packer players? I think if you punched people out on the street you would get arrested, why should it be different because it occurred during a football game?

He'll get suspended for a game. Maybe one punch and he could skirt the suspension, but he threw more than one and seemed proud of it after the fact. One game and one game check.

He should be suspended for stupidity. I've never understood the reasoning behind punching a helmet
    Go PACK

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    He was flailing like a girl. It's in the heat of the moment and our guys can protect themselves. $25k fine and that's it.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

This is a ridiculous thread - have none of you ninnies ever been in a fight??

Football is a rough sport... testosterone and adrenaline. Throw a fine at the guy to placate you sweeter than sugar types, and forget about it.

The older I get, the more I realize just what wimps younger Amerikans have become.
    wist

I agree with wist. The premise of this thread is absurd.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Quote Originally Posted by channtheman View Post
    Watching the New York Jets DL Muhammad Wilkerson #96 today made me wonder about what his punishment for swinging not 1 or 2 punches but possibly 4 or 5 (I'd have to rewatch the game and it also depends on what you consider a punch). How different are his actions in todays football game against the numerous Packer players than Ray Rice's against his then fiancé?

Should Wilkerson be subjected to the same punishments as those who are involved in domestic abuse? Are his actions less bad because he is not in a relationship with any of the Packer players? I think if you punched people out on the street you would get arrested, why should it be different because it occurred during a football game?
    Ray Rice's fiancee wasn't wearing a helmet. I think that's the difference.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    He'll get suspended for a game. Maybe one punch and he could skirt the suspension, but he threw more than one and seemed proud of it after the fact. One game and one game check.
    And threw punches at 3 different players. He had to go that far to get kicked out of the game, that doesn't happen that often.

But I think that will serve as the suspension.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    This is a ridiculous thread - have none of you ninnies ever been in a fight??

Football is a rough sport... testosterone and adrenaline. Throw a fine at the guy to placate you sweeter than sugar types, and forget about it.

The older I get, the more I realize just what wimps younger Amerikans have become.
    Its not a rough sport if you are punching someone with a helmet. That's just self-abuse.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by channtheman View Post

No, when you sign your contract to play football there is a recognition that football is a violent game.

The Jets player was penalized enough when he was kicked out of the game. I am sure he will get some token fine from the NFL and that will be it.

Spouses and children don't sign up to go toe-to-toe with other 200+ pound freaks of nature.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

He might get a 1 game suspension, I can't see it being any more. They were still in the 3rd quarter with the game on the line, so losing him for the rest of it is a fair amount of punishment.

I get a kick out of all the flags that got thrown, and near as I could tell his was the only penalty assessed? Everything else was offsetting? lol Richardson and Quarless were going at it pretty good. Richardson had Quarless' by the face mask and was jerking his head around, and Quarless retaliated by ripping his helmet off, but that seemed to be ignored.

To compare an in-game fight to the Rice altercation is nothing short of ignorant, but I suspect channtheman was trolling or trying to expose the ridiculousness of one thing or another. I missed it.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Ray Rice's fiancee wasn't wearing a helmet. I think that's the difference.
    Thank you. There is a BIG difference between the heat of the moment on the football field and punching a woman in the face and knocking her out cold in an elevator.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Rice's fiancee also wasn't a world class athlete. This thread is silly.
    Last edited by 3irty1; 09-15-2014 at 01:20 PM.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Football is a sport where you do things to other people that would land you in jail otherwise. If I tackled someone on the street, or even shoved them like I was blocking, I might get prosecuted. The context matters, at least to most people.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    Football is a sport where you do things to other people that would land you in jail otherwise. If I tackled someone on the street, or even shoved them like I was blocking, I might get prosecuted. The context matters, at least to most people.
    Most people who don't consume faux outrage-based products, anyhow.

Channtheman has a point that nobody has been willing to acknowledge. Wilkerson threw punches in the north end zone in Lambeau, which is the Packers' home. Domestic abuse, aggravated by the fact that it happened in someone else's house.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    Channtheman has a point that nobody has been willing to acknowledge. Wilkerson threw punches in the north end zone in Lambeau, which is the Packers' home. Domestic abuse, aggravated by the fact that it happened in someone else's house.
    What would be the South end zone be, neighbors or a park?

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    What would be the South end zone be, neighbors or a park?
    A Wal-Mart parking lot.

It'll be zero games. Andre Johnson and Cortland Finnegan ate a 25k fine with no suspension for their brawl.

Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    A Wal-Mart parking lot.
    Can I tailgate there before the game?