Thread: 10 things only a Packers fan would understand

10 things only a Packers fan would understand

"There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Reggie was out of bounds.

They should just dump instant replay. Raiders would be happy too because the 'Tuck Rule" doesn't get applied. Those Oilers are never going to get that Renfro touchdown back against the Steelers anyway.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post

Regg
    gie was out of bounds.

They should just dump instant replay. Raiders would be happy too because the 'Tuck Rule" doesn't get applied. Those Oilers are never going to get that Renfro touchdown back against the Steelers anyway.

Okay, so I'm getting older. I miss those old broadcasts, in which the game was the focus. And look at all the pieces in place for the Wolf-years run: Evans, White, Butler, Favre, and was that Dotson on the line, too?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    In today's game I don't think that's a completed pass and fumble. It would be called incomplete because the receiver didn't make one football move...or something. ...Love me some Maxie McGee!
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

I think in today's NFL that would be called an interception.

If he didn't make the catch, then he could not be down by contact. If he is not down by contact, the ball never hits the ground, or at least it doesn't look like it hits the ground, then Reggie catches it out of the air - it is an interception.

If it is a catch, it can't be a fumble b/c he would have been down by contact, b/c the ball didn't come loose until after his knee had touched.

By the rules then - if he caught the ball, it could not have been a fumble b/c he would have been down by contact. So the refs blew the call at the time.

It was ruled a fumble right?? It went down in the stat book as a fumble, right??
    wist

No. The ball hit the ground, at least that's the way it appears to these old eyes. So it's not an interception. I can't see when the ball comes loose. One thing is for sure. In today's football there would be 10 different camera angles instead of just two.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    No. The ball hit the ground, at least that's the way it appears to these old eyes. So it's not an interception. I can't see when the ball comes loose. One thing is for sure. In today's football there would be 10 different camera angles instead of just two.
    I can't see where the ball ever hits the ground... it looks like it is loose as they are both going to the ground, but after the runner's knee hits; and, when Butler rolls up the ball is on his arm or left side of this body, something... and his momentum flips the ball into the air - it wasn't the ground that caused the ball to jump up, it was Butlers rolling momentum.

I stopped it and tried to roll thru it frame by frame - which is impossible due to the poor technology and only 2 angles - I agree, in today's NFL we would have had 36 camera angles on it.

In the end, I don't see where it hits the ground at all though - if it's a completion, which is what I think they ruled, then it should have been down by contact. If it is not a completion, absent evidence that it hit the ground, it is an interception.

What it ended up being was a catch and fumble - when IMO, it should have been a catch and down by contact. Today's rules, I think it would have been an interception.

At the time, I remember thinking it was a fumble though, lol...
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    I can't see where the ball ever hits the ground... it looks like it is loose as they are both going to the ground, but after the runner's knee hits; and, when Butler rolls up the ball is on his arm or left side of this body, something... and his momentum flips the ball into the air - it wasn't the ground that caused the ball to jump up, it was Butlers rolling momentum.

I stopped it and tried to roll thru it frame by frame - which is impossible due to the poor technology and only 2 angles - I agree, in today's NFL we would have had 36 camera angles on it.

In the end, I don't see where it hits the ground at all though - if it's a completion, which is what I think they ruled, then it should have been down by contact. If it is not a completion, absent evidence that it hit the ground, it is an interception.

What it ended up being was a catch and fumble - when IMO, it should have been a catch and down by contact. Today's rules, I think it would have been an interception.

At the time, I remember thinking it was a fumble though, lol...
    I don't see where it hits the ground either. It looks like the ball rolls up and over their bodies and then into the air.

Does the ball come off of Butler's leg? It looks to me like it slams into the ground and bounces into White. LOL. Who knows? I doubt even Butler knows.