Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: PERSONELL EXPERTS COLOR PACKERS a 8-8 TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    from the article....

"An experienced executive in personnel for a National Football League team thinks there is.

In an extended interview last week, the personnel man assigned a grade to each of the Packers' 60 players for the Journal Sentinel and broke down the roster position-by-position. Selected because of his level of expertise and success in the NFL, he has studied the Packers this summer, this September and for years before that."

Put your name to it, or else it could all just be Bob's agenda. This is not legal case where comments would put the person in jeopardy, so why not put a name to it? Weak stuff that tries and succeeds to gain clicks, but has a weak basis without a named source.
    I'm hoping it's Matt Millen.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

You guys get so offended that football nation doesn't acknowledge that the Packers have 60 pro bowlers, lol...

I think we got a lot of SB hype in the preseason b/c everyone thinks we should be better - afterall, we have arguably the best QB in the league; but when reality sets in, the flaws are there for everyone to see.
    wist

Rat Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    I'm hoping it's Matt Millen.
    McGinn is a good reporter. I am sure he adheres to strict journalism ethics, and he would not have made up a source out of the blue.

It seems like McGinn's Deep Throat currently is employed by an NFL team.

"Selected because of his level of expertise and success in the NFL, he has studied the Packers this summer, this September and for years before that...His preseason pick to win the NFC North was Minnesota. "

Using inductive reasoning, I've come to the conclusion that this Deep Throat is none other than Rick Spielman, GM of the Vikings, or "Queens."

Believe it or not, the Vikings actually experienced success under Speilman. They were 13-3 or something like that one season, reached the NFC Title game and, if not for a Brad Childress fuck up late in the game (illegal substitution, I think, to put the Queens out of fg range), they would've made the SB.

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    You guys get so offended that football nation doesn't acknowledge that the Packers have 60 pro bowlers, lol...

I think we got a lot of SB hype in the preseason b/c everyone thinks we should be better - afterall, we have arguably the best QB in the league; but when reality sets in, the flaws are there for everyone to see.
    Your mind reading powers are at low ebb this morning. I am less offended that he doesn't see 60 Packer Pro Bowlers than I am that he sees the Vikings winning the Division.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

i would think we are a 9-7 or 10-6 type of team

i see the lions and bears as teams on the rise, while i honestly see us as regressing if anything

a-rod seems to be regressing, even though he had a huge day last week. he's making a lot of dumb decisions all of a sudden, almost like no one is willing to tell him "NO". and i find it absolutely shocking that our special teams and defense both seem to be almost worse then they were last year when they were both horrible

lets also no forget the year is still young, even though we've already lost a good amount of players for the year the usual packer injury bug hasn't fully hit yet this year.we're due some more major injuries before the season is over. its just the packer way

Rat Starter
    I think the article was fair - but I'm biased b/c the guy is saying a lot of what I've been saying for a while now.

I think more highly of Nelson that he apparently does; I agree that we are going to struggle to stop the run all year - he doesn't address philosophy in this regard, only evaluates the players, but the players are a reflection of the Packer philosophy that says stopping the run is only an incidental aspect of the game.

He gives higher grades to the OL than I would - but the same issue exists here as with the run defense. The players might be better than what they produce, but MM doesn't put them in good positions to excel b/c he is back to only calling 3 running plays again. When he went to a more diverse play sheet, and incorporated power plays, the OL responded, Lacy improved, and suddenly we had a little bit of a running game.

He rips the ILB's - but of course Stevie Wonder can see how pathetic they are. 1265 can't see it, but everyone else can. I think he is too lenient on the DB's. Burnett looks the part, but the guy simply doesn't make plays. Has the tackling improved?? Couldn't be any worse than last year... seems a bit better, we'll see. I haven't viewed Williams as being in decline - hope he's not.

At the end of the day, the Packers are all about Aaron Rodgers. We have Rodgers, Nelson, and Matthews that are pro bowl caliber players; we have a handful of players just below that level - Shields, Williams, Lacy, and I think maybe Daniels.

On offense, the OL is average across the board and the depth is poor; Cobb is okay, but the other receivers are below average at this point; the TE's are junk.

On defense, there are some good players up front, but of course they are not used to their strengths. I think Perry and D. Jones are better than what they are producing, but I put that on dunderdummy; the DB depth might be okay, but between TT playing musical chairs and injuries it is a stretch to think that unit can be consistently effective against top-flight competition.

I had us at 11-5 this year... and we can maybe still get to that level, but we are still a flawed team. I thought we might have the talent to at least be in the conversation for a Superbowl, but the Packers flawed philosophies haven't been addressed, and the players don't seem to be developing and stepping up.

8-8 is still a bit harsh... with Rodgers we should be in the 9-7 to 11-5 range; but I don't see how we can advance past the more phsycial teams that are philosophically sound. They just beat us up, and there's nothing we can do about it.
    Good post. But I can't recall how many times I've read quotes from Capers about stopping the run being top priority with his defense.

I don't think Capers' philosophy toward stopping the run is "only an incidental aspect of the game." The DL and ILBs suck along with the safeties. That's on the GM.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Your mind reading powers are at low ebb this morning. I am less offended that he doesn't see 60 Packer Pro Bowlers than I am that he sees the Vikings winning the Division.
    Yeah, the Viking thing is a head scratcher... I figured they'd be vastly improved, but win the division??

As for my mind reading powers - I have a terrible hangover, lol... I never, or at least rarely drink, but my brother had a big birthday bash last night, and I stayed about 3 drinks too long
    wist

You guys get so offended that football nation doesn't acknowledge that the Packers have 60 pro bowlers
    Not offended. Just think the guy is an idiot for picking the Vikings to win the division.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    a-rod seems to be regressing, even though he had a huge day last week. he's making a lot of dumb decisions all of a sudden, almost like no one is willing to tell him "NO". and i find it absolutely shocking that our special teams and defense both seem to be almost worse then they were last year when they were both horrible
    Football Outsiders rank the Packer Special Teams 2nd overall through week 2. Its the highest ranked Unit on the team (Offense 10th, Defense 23rd).
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Blog Entries
    they look like a 8-8 today

Today Aaron Rodgers looked more like David Whitehurst that Brett Favre

He needs to be on his game or we will not beat anybody worth beans on the road
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Senior Rat All-Pro oldbutnotdeadyet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    they look like a 8-8 today

Today Aaron Rodgers looked more like David Whitehurst that Brett Favre

He needs to be on his game or we will not beat anybody worth beans on the road
    You are being generous. The way this team is playing, I think many of us will be hoping for 8-8 by end of the year.

i agree they look like 8-8 after today

so, the question becomes. how?

how has this team regressed so much? we should be better then last year because are guys are healthy and we have added some talent at positions where we needed some.

so what the fuck has happened?

to me, its fat mike. time for him to go. he's lost any edge he might have had, and he's too loyal to his shitty assistants

how has this team regressed so much? we should be better then last year because are guys are healthy and we have added some talent at positions where we needed some.

to me, its fat mike. time for him to go. he's lost any edge he might have had, and he's too loyal to his shitty assistants

He certainly didn't do anything to get the offense on track in the second half. I think the offense was piss poor, especially the offensive line, and MM did nothing to mitigate that until too too late when he started having Rodgers throw shorter.

And was Adams open for the first down on that fourth down play?

And what the hell is wrong with Lacey? Since when did he become a dancing bear?

Ya know, if this turns out to be another "meh" campaign, I will climb on board the fire Mike train.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Senior Rat All-Pro oldbutnotdeadyet's Avatar
    I agree the coaches need to be gone, but we all know that ain't gonna happen until a whole season of this shit, and then maybe not.

Nature of the league; it will be a roller-coaster year across the board.
    Brandon Marshall, MAN...!!
    Jimmie Johnson: Nascar's G.O.A.T......

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    He certainly didn't do anything to get the offense on track in the second half. I think the offense was piss poor, especially the offensive line, and MM did nothing to mitigate that until too too late when he started having Rodgers throw shorter.

And was Adams open for the first down on that fourth down play?

And what the hell is wrong with Lacey? Since when did he become a dancing bear?

Ya know, if this turns out to be another "meh" campaign, I will climb on board the fire Mike train.
    i don't know if it was adams or someone else. but someone was running a short slant in front of jordy and appeared to have a step on his guy, at right about the first down marker.

of course jordy also had a step on his guy, but a-rod missed him

you'd think though that the shorter pass would have been easier to hit, AND SEE

He has lost Jennings two years ago, Jones and Finley this year. They haven't been replaced yet. Boykin has regressed and Rodgers doesn't trust the rookie WR.

Lacy started slow last year and actually was more effective when Rodgers was on the sideline.

They are going to need a midseason retooling again. The no huddle is not helping.

Green & Gold Shades Rat HOFer channtheman's Avatar

You got it red. It's time for a massive turnover. I actually think we may need to be looking at TT. He hasn't replaced talent quite like he should be. It looks like we finally have Nick Collins replacement in Haha, what 4 years later? Our WR depth which used to be a strength, is now atrocious. The LB have started AJ Hawk for nearly 10 years and has also allowed the same mediocre talent to also start year after year. It feels like we need a change starting at the top.

It's startling to see three recent 1st round picks already described as JAG's by this unnamed source. Sherrod, Perry, and Jones. But I have to agree.

Missing that many high picks in a row leaves a talent void of impact type players. TT deserves some heat for that.