Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Official GameDay Thread Week 3: Packers @ Lions

Official GameDay Thread Week 3: Packers @ Lions

When the Packers are on Defense

Wake up Leeple! (That's lemming people, much worse than sheep people - you need dogs to get sheep to go over a cliff, lemmings volunteer) You think 2 good quarters against the Jets does anything to disprove the weaknesses of this team?! Look at those rankings for Defense! 28th in points allowed, 31st in rushing yards allowed; that's practically causation! Look how close those ranks are! That P value has to be right around 1!

These are the Lions we are talking about. They will crush you with Reggie Bush up the middle and ... those other running backs on the depth chart up the middle. They destroyed the Packers last year running up the middle. The question isn't whether last year's 40 points allowed was a fluke against the Lions, the question is by how much will the Lions cruise by that signpost while surpassing the 49ers 579 total yards in the playoff game two years ago. Jim Schwartz couldn't find a run game with a sextant and Earl Campbell's smart phone and look what he did before he was fired. Jim Caldwell learned modern NFL football from Tony Dungy and Tom Moore while with the Peyton Manning Colts. That's like a lesson directly from Lombardi and Chuck Knox. They might run up the middle 45 times in the first half alone. Omaha indeed.

You know Caldwell is low key, but he knows to keep his job he has to beat the Packers (and six other teams I estimate) so I am expecting a new Lions Read-Option package. But with the QB and RB reversed so Stafford, as elite an athlete I have ever seen with a potbelly, will be able to exploit the Packers abandoned middle with his puffy cheeks and slower than he looks speed.

When the Packers are on Offense

Its not even worth discussing the offense because even if they decide to get hyped for the first quarter for once, whatever lead Rodgers stakes them is useless. Less effective than the Brewers second-half offense, the Defense will forfeit the lead and Rodgers will be unable to lead them to a 4th quarter comeback, the only kind of comeback that ever results in a win. Besides, Randall Cobb would be lucky to be the backup slot option on most college teams and Jordy is white, which means he might as well be British and that guarantees second place at best, just ask the guys from Top Gear or the English World Cup team.

You should just go out and catch a flick at the cinema.

Packers 27 - Lions 19

GREEN BAY (1-1) AT DETROIT (1-1)

KICKOFF (TV) — Sunday, noon (Fox)
    OPENING LINE — Lions by 1
    RECORD VS. SPREAD — Green Bay 0-2, Detroit 1-1
    SERIES RECORD — Packers lead 96-66-7
    LAST MEETING — Lions beat Packers 40-10, Nov. 28, 2013
    LAST WEEK — Packers beat Jets 31-24; Lions lost to Panthers 24-7
    AP PRO32 RANKING — Packers No. 10, Lions No. 16
    PACKERS OFFENSE — OVERALL (24), RUSH (26), PASS (13).
    PACKERS DEFENSE — OVERALL (19), RUSH (31), PASS (6).
    LIONS OFFENSE — OVERALL (10), RUSH (28), PASS (4).
    LIONS DEFENSE — OVERALL (2), RUSH (2), PASS (9).

STREAKS, STATS AND NOTES — Packers have won 15 of past 17 in series, but Detroit routed Green Bay on Thanksgiving last year. ... Green Bay QB Aaron Rodgers is 9-1 against Lions with 111 passer rating. Only loss came in 2010 when he left game with injury. ... Green Bay’s Jordy Nelson had nine catches for 209 yards last week, most yards receiving for Packers player in non-OT game since 1956. ... Packers LB Nick Perry trying for third straight game against Lions with sack and forced fumble. ...

Packers have allowed seven sacks in first two games. ... Detroit’s Calvin Johnson leads NFL since 2011 with 315 catches, 5,384 yards receiving. ... Only 38.6 percent of Detroit’s first-down plays have gained 4 or more yards. ... Lions RBs Reggie Bush and Joique Bell combined for 310 yards from scrimmage in last meeting with Packers. ... Detroit opponents have gained 4.29 yards per play, lowest mark in NFL. ... Lions K Nate Freese is 2 of 5 on field goals, has missed all three attempts from at least 40 yards.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Game Day Stats

Code:
    PACKERS			NFC	NFL
    TEAM
    Turnover Margin (0)	4t	14t
    Points Scored (23.5)	6t	11t
    Points Allowed (30.0)	14	28t
    Total Offense (322.5)	12	24
    Rushing (80.0)		13	26
    Passing (242.5)		7	13
    Total Defense (355.0)	13	19
    vs. Rush (176.5)	16	31
    vs. Pass (178.5)	3	6
    3rd-Down Off (50.0%)	5t	6t
    3rd-Down Def (42.9%)	8	18t
    Red-Zone Off (57.1%)	9t	14t
    Red-Zone Def (71.4%)	12t	26t

INDIVIDUAL	
    Passing: Rodgers (97.4)	8	12
    Rushing: Lacy (77)	15t	35t
    Receptions: Nelson (18)	1t	1t
    RecYds.: Nelson (292)	1	1
    INTs: Williams (1)	3t	6t
    Sacks: 3 players (1.0)	15t	30t
    Code:
    LIONS			NFC	NFL
    TEAM
    Turnover Margin (-1)	7t	17t
    Points Scored (21.0)	12	22t
    Points Allowed (19.0)	5t	10t
    Total Offense (370.0)	6	10
    Rushing (73.0)		14	28
    Passing (297.0)		3	4
    Total Defense (255.0)	2	2
    vs. Rush (57.5)		1	2
    vs. Pass (197.5)	5	9
    3rd-Down Off (53.3%)	4	5
    3rd-Down Def (24.0%)	2	3
    Red-Zone Off (66.7%)	6t	8t
    Red-Zone Def (66.7%)	10t	24t

INDIVIDUAL	
    Pass: Stafford (93.6)	9	14
    Rush: Bell (87)		14	30
    Rcpts: Johnson (13)	8t	10t
    RecYds.: Johnson (247)	2	2
    INTs: Levy, Quin (1)	3t	6t
    Sacks: Mosley (2.0)	7t	7t
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

To me, this game is all about who can protect the quarterback. Sherrod, if he starts, will be tested. But the Lions might be worse off at RT.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

3-0 over the next 11 days would be great. 2-1 would be good. Can't really afford to do anything less than that.

Kickass Rat All-Pro CaptainKickass's Avatar
    Obligatory game day post.
    "Everyone's born anarchist and atheist until people start lying to them" ~ wise philosopher

Bulaga and Hayward active.

Not sure what to think about Bulaga playing.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 4m
    #Packers inactives: 16 QB Scott Tolzien
    39 CB Demetri Goodson
    54 LB Carl Bradford
    59 LB Brad Jones
    64 DT Mike Pennel
    83 WR Jeff Janis

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 3m
    #Packers inactives: OT Bryan Bulaga and CB Casey Hayward are both playing today vs. Lions.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 5m
    Lionw inactives today. RT @ttwentyman: Waddle, Vaughn, Lewis, Ihedigbo, Owens, Moore and Broyles. Reynolds starts at RT, Abdul-Quddus at S.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    Bulaga and Hayward active.

Not sure what to think about Bulaga playing.
    So who are the game day inactives?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Doh!
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Again Pennel inactive. I don't get that.

Maybe Bulaga will be an emergency backup?

I suppose Sherrod on field constitutes an emergency.

Rat-A-Tat-Tat Veteran BZnDallas's Avatar
    Maybe Bulaga will be an emergency backup?

I suppose Sherrod on field constitutes an emergency.
    I enjoyed the comedy HH

This game scares me. I disagree with wist on our DBs. I think we are way better than the Det DBs. However I agree with wist on a lot of his other points. I can see anything happening in this game. We could blow them out, they could blow us out, or it could come down to a fg at the end. So my best game day analysis is, this one scares me.
    Now what y'all know about dem Texas boys
    Comin' down in candied toys, smokin' weed and talkin' noise!!!

-----
    Wake up!

Again Pennel inactive. I don't get that.
    Lions are a pass first team. Packers will probably be in nickel/dime pretty much all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Lions are a pass first team. Packers will probably be in nickel/dime pretty much all day.
    Ighegibo (sp?) inactive for Detroit today. Hmmm. That is a secondary that MM will not be able to resist. My guess is he forgets how to call a running play. Sometimes the dude just licks his chops at other teams' weak areas and forgets that balance is important.

KYPack

Is this Jay Elliot's first NFL Active Roster?

With no evidence to support it other than Tramon's timely pick last week, I think this is the week the defense breaks out out our longstanding status as a "turnover free zone". The game scares me but I don't remember a game last season or this season that didn't so WTH, I'll stay a homer.

Packers 38
    Lions 21

Packers 30
    Lions 23

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    they also have that reggie bush guy who could turn back the clock today against our horrible run D and look like he's back in his USC uniform running against fresno state