Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25

Thread: Official GameDay Thread Week 3: Packers @ Lions

Quote Originally Posted by Striker View Post
    I think they need to say "f it" and get Adams and Janis playing time. If none of the other guys want to step up, see if the rooks are ready.

I know there's all these nuances, etc etc etc that they need to get, but other teams are managing with their rookie receivers.
    Agree. I think Janis should play against Chicago. Then, if they try to do what the Lions did & take away Jordy, we will have Jordy 2.o on the other side.
    Who Knows? The Shadow knows!

Of all the plays he did take wide, he would have been well served to take that one outside.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I will defer to the experts on the blocking scheme question. The one thing I do know is that next time GB is backed up against its goal line, the first down play call is going to be a pass.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    This is the fundamental problem with your entire oeuvre. You repeated claim one thing and then glom onto any negative result as proof of concept.

Here is a Vine video of the safety. https://twitter.com/TyDunne/status/514073401116598272

No one is being asked to drive block here. There are two other problems, but neither is drive blocking. If Mad is reding it would be lovely to be able to embed Vine videos in the future.
    What needed to be done there, if you have an OL that can drive block - which we don't - and if you're going to call a run, is straight ahead drive block, hat on hat, and move the LOS 1-3 yds; do it again on 2nd down, and you're 3rd down on the 5 yd line.

Either that, or pass it.

What we saw, was MM getting cute with Bulaga blocking down (and whiffing), and Lang jumping out, presumably to kick out, but the ILB closed so fast that he was compromised - the play call takes some development and cooperation from the defense - which of course is a recipe for allowing penetration and risking the safety - which is what happened.

No, we didn't drive block anyone, b/c we don't have any running plays in the playbook that call for drive blocking - why?? Because we don't have any drive blockers, and MM doesn't believe in power running.

MM wants to "influence" defensive players - and to be sure there is a place for that in designing plays; he wants to move the POA along the LOS east/west, and hope the defense overruns the cutback, or doesn't marshall enough at the POA and the RB can simply go wherever the hole might be. MM doesn't design running plays to create specific holes, and he doesn't require that his offensive linemen win battles at the LOS. It's all about positioning, and walling off, and pretty much just trying to get in the way of the defenders.

The ZBS is easy to defend - especially now that they've outlawed that chop block that used to drive Gilbert Brown insane - and rightfully so.

Now, since I didn't see the game - how many running plays had OL pulling, trapping, sweeps?? Did MM simply trot out his vaunted 3 zone plays, and that was it??
    wist

1. They have not made the in line cut block that the Broncos used illegal. And the chop block is not illegal in running plays except in very specific situations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chop_bl...iron_football)

2. It wasn't a ZBS play, it was a trap but something went bad elsewhere. Trap blocking has won Super Bowls since before there was a Silverdome, much less Ford Field.

3. Bulaga doesn't whiff.

4. Drive blocking fails as well if there is an unblocked guy.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    1. They have not made the in line cut block that the Broncos used illegal. And the chop block is not illegal in running plays except in very specific situations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chop_bl...iron_football)

2. It wasn't a ZBS play, it was a trap but something went bad elsewhere. Trap blocking has won Super Bowls since before there was a Silverdome, much less Ford Field.

3. Bulaga doesn't whiff.

4. Drive blocking fails as well if there is an unblocked guy.
    Pretty sure I remember them saying they were going to make that cut block illegal?? It absolutely should be - don't know how it can be legal to ram your helmet into the back of a guys knee... when it used to happen to Gilbert all the time, you'd look at it and think, '... that can't be legal'; and then the announcers would go on and on about how it was legal - go figure.

If I were playing against Mark Schlereth - his career would have ended many years before it did, b/c the first time he did that to me, I'd chop him in the fucking throat, and spit on him as he choked to death on the field.

As for the disasterous play that MM called - you seem to think a slow developing play in that situation is a fine idea - so, have at it, it's all yours man.

If I had the kind of players we have on our OL - I wouldn't have even considered running it there... would have been a pass all the way. If that were incomplete, I would have passed on 2nd down, and 3rd down. If they go incomplete?? Then Detroit is gonna get the ball back on the 35 yd line, and go about playing defense. It is what it is... not a good situation, but for my money, the one thing you don't do is call a passive, slow developing run play.

You seem to like passive football though... as do most Packerrats it would seem.
    wist

Green & Gold Shades Rat HOFer channtheman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    Pretty sure I remember them saying they were going to make that cut block illegal?? It absolutely should be - don't know how it can be legal to ram your helmet into the back of a guys knee... when it used to happen to Gilbert all the time, you'd look at it and think, '... that can't be legal'; and then the announcers would go on and on about how it was legal - go figure.

If I were playing against Mark Schlereth - his career would have ended many years before it did, b/c the first time he did that to me, I'd chop him in the fucking throat, and spit on him as he choked to death on the field.

As for the disasterous play that MM called - you seem to think a slow developing play in that situation is a fine idea - so, have at it, it's all yours man.

If I had the kind of players we have on our OL - I wouldn't have even considered running it there... would have been a pass all the way. If that were incomplete, I would have passed on 2nd down, and 3rd down. If they go incomplete?? Then Detroit is gonna get the ball back on the 35 yd line, and go about playing defense. It is what it is... not a good situation, but for my money, the one thing you don't do is call a passive, slow developing run play.

You seem to like passive football though... as do most Packerrats it would seem.

I'd add "passive 'predictable' football." When myself and my family can accurately predict the negative outcomes of plays before they happen, it's clear we are getting way too predictable. And it's not like we predicted bad outcomes the entire game. Just see my post a page or 2 back and see how dumb/stubborn MM is.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by channtheman View Post
    I'd add "passive 'predictable' football." When myself and my family can accurately predict the negative outcomes of plays before they happen, it's clear we are getting way too predictable. And it's not like we predicted bad outcomes the entire game. Just see my post a page or 2 back and see how dumb/stubborn MM is.
    It's easy to second guess. Fans just want better results. Someone put a vine on another thread that showed the safety play on a loop. Not sure why Richard Rodgers was in at TE in that spot when he is clearly not the blocker that Quarless is. Rodgers gets blown up on the play and Lacy seems to have his vision into the line, but there appears to be a pretty good sized open area to his right if he just bounces it to the right of the line. He probably would have gotten a few yards of breathing room.

I'm not so worried a giving up plays like this on occasion, when the bigger issue making the run game work consistently throughout the game. That will only help the passing game. MM and AR have had a sub-par running game in he past and AR was able to overcome because he had more overall talent at WR/TE. We are in a bit of a lull overall at those positions. We'll get great play from Jordy, probably Cobb eventually, but who after that?
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    We'll get great play from Jordy, probably Cobb eventually, but who after that?
    I'm pulling for Janis. The guy did all you asked him to do in preseason. Now all he needs is a chance. I know I sound like a broken record, but you can't coach height and speed. Janis has both.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    I'm pulling for Janis. The guy did all you asked him to do in preseason. Now all he needs is a chance. I know I sound like a broken record, but you can't coach height and speed. Janis has both.
    He was really hurt by being ill. Shingles, the professional athlete's menace.

If they're going to activate Janis, they're probably going to have to go with 5 WR's. Because of the time he missed, he may not know enough of the offense to be #4.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Some fun posts here too.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston