Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 LastLast

Thread: Official GameDay Thread Week 3: Packers @ Lions

Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    The offense scored 16 points... too bad 9 of those were for the Lions.
    It's absolutely stunning. If you told any of us that the defense would hold Detroit to 10 points, we would have expected the Packers to win by 3 touchdowns. How far our offense has fallen off this year.

Quote Originally Posted by esoxx View Post
    I think part of the reason for the overly negative perception of the OL today stems from the complete whiff by Lang for the safety on Lacy. That was glariing.

But Rodgers had enough time to throw in general. There were plays to be made, they just didn't make them.
    The other thing that happened in pass pro was that he rarely could move in the pocket. Twice he tried and was sacked both times.

To have extra time, he had to bail left of right.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Green & Gold Shades Rat HOFer channtheman's Avatar
    3 things. MM for the second week in a row made a bonehead decision before halftime. This week it was to call timeouts before the half. He has done this before, and it rarely (if ever) works. I called out to my family that MM has called timeouts thinking his offense can score in the past and it never works and then he did it, and it nearly cost us a field goal. Just because it didn't hurt us, doesn't make it not a bad call by him.

MM deciding to run from the one yard line. Everyone in our room was saying we better not run. Then we ran and it was a safety.

Finally, Rodgers taking sacks sucks. Rodgers taking sacks when we are in field goal range really sucks. Rodgers had ample time today. He also could have moved out of the pocket to avoid sacks today as well.

Our defense did everything they could today to win. Our offense did everything they could to lose. Sucky game, and perhaps we are an 8-8 team.
    Last edited by channtheman; 09-21-2014 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_blonde View Post
    Is James Starks alive?

Eight carries for 38 yards (4.8 avg) in the first half today - no carries in the second half. This after no carries, no touches last week against the Jets.

What gives????
    What gives? Fat Mike is what, Starks was working so of course stubby goes away from him.

Quote Originally Posted by channtheman View Post
    3 things. MM for the second week in a row made a bonehead decision before halftime. This week it was to call timeouts before the half. He has done this before, and it rarely (if ever) works. I called out to my family that MM has called timeouts thinking his offense can score in the past and it never works and then he did it, and it nearly cost us a field goal. Just because it didn't hurt us, doesn't make it not a bad call by him.

MM deciding to run from the one yard line. Everyone in our room was saying we better not run. Then we ran and it was a safety.

Finally, Rodgers taking sacks sucks. Rodgers taking sacks when we are in field goal range really sucks. Rodgers had ample time today. He also could have moved out of the pocket to avoid sacks today as well.

Our defense did everything they could today to win. Our offense did everything they could to lose. Sucky game, and perhaps we are an 8-8 team.
    MM needs to self scout and never call that TO before half when he thinks they *might* get the ball back. It often seems to end in disaster.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

The safety... as I said, I didn't watch the game, but I saw that lowlight.

That situation demands a pass b/c of how our OL is built - MM should know that. Especially going against a super-stout, physical DL like Detroits.

Our Offensive Linemen are picked b/c they are good mirror blockers. Supposed to have good feet in pass pro, supposed to work well in the ZBS. None of them is a drive blocker, and none of them can get movement off the snap. They can't get movement against bad defensive lines, let alone an excellent DL like Detroits.

"Know thyself'... MM should know enough about his own players to know that he simply cannot call a run in that situation, b/c it is entirely likely that his RB is going to be met in the backfield, i.e. the end zone.

Stupid play call... coaches not putting their players in position to be successful. Usually that charge is made against dunderdummy - but in this case, MM is guilty. That safety was on him, not the players.
    wist

Has Slocum been fired yet?
    C.H.U.D.

Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    MM needs to self scout and never call that TO before half when he thinks they *might* get the ball back. It often seems to end in disaster.
    He admitted it was a risky call and shouldn't have been made, but wasn't very specific about just want was riskier than his normal call in that spot. There was virtually no time left and it was 3rd and 7. If not then, when?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    The safety... as I said, I didn't watch the game, but I saw that lowlight.

That situation demands a pass b/c of how our OL is built - MM should know that. Especially going against a super-stout, physical DL like Detroits.

Our Offensive Linemen are picked b/c they are good mirror blockers. Supposed to have good feet in pass pro, supposed to work well in the ZBS. None of them is a drive blocker, and none of them can get movement off the snap. They can't get movement against bad defensive lines, let alone an excellent DL like Detroits.

"Know thyself'... MM should know enough about his own players to know that he simply cannot call a run in that situation, b/c it is entirely likely that his RB is going to be met in the backfield, i.e. the end zone.

Stupid play call... coaches not putting their players in position to be successful. Usually that charge is made against dunderdummy - but in this case, MM is guilty. That safety was on him, not the players.
    Rodgers got blown up and Lang whiffed. That's on the players. Bulaga made his block. Both Bulaga and Bach can run block.

I think they need to say "f it" and get Adams and Janis playing time. If none of the other guys want to step up, see if the rooks are ready.

I know there's all these nuances, etc etc etc that they need to get, but other teams are managing with their rookie receivers.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Rodgers got blown up and Lang whiffed. That's on the players. Bulaga made his block. Both Bulaga and Bach can run block.
    lol... seriously??

None of those guys is a drive blocker - and no, Buluga can't drive block, Bach can't drive block, Lang can't drive block, and Sitton can't drive block. The Green Bay Packers do not allow run blocking OL on the roster.

They are all student body run blockers, and dancing bear pass blockers. Period.

Our offensive linemen "whiffing" and getting "blown up" is exactly what would be expected in that situation, and that is exactly what we got.

The philosophy is what lands guys like that on our roster, and the play call was idiotic b/c the result we saw was entirely predictable.
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out View Post
    Has Slocum been fired yet?
    Wednesday is coming

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    lol... seriously??

None of those guys is a drive blocker - and no, Buluga can't drive block, Bach can't drive block, Lang can't drive block, and Sitton can't drive block. The Green Bay Packers do not allow run blocking OL on the roster.

They are all student body run blockers, and dancing bear pass blockers. Period.

Our offensive linemen "whiffing" and getting "blown up" is exactly what would be expected in that situation, and that is exactly what we got.

The philosophy is what lands guys like that on our roster, and the play call was idiotic b/c the result we saw was entirely predictable.
    This is the fundamental problem with your entire oeuvre. You repeated claim one thing and then glom onto any negative result as proof of concept.

Here is a Vine video of the safety. https://twitter.com/TyDunne/status/514073401116598272

No one is being asked to drive block here. There are two other problems, but neither is drive blocking. If Mad is reding it would be lovely to be able to embed Vine videos in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by pittstang5 View Post
    Wednesday is coming
    That's the new TV series from HBO next year.

Game of Inches: Wednesday Is Coming

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    This is the fundamental problem with your entire oeuvre. You repeated claim one thing and then glom onto any negative result as proof of concept.

Here is a Vine video of the safety. https://twitter.com/TyDunne/status/514073401116598272

No one is being asked to drive block here. There are two other problems, but neither is drive blocking. If Mad is reding it would be lovely to be able to embed Vine videos in the future.
    What was Lang doing on that play? It almost looked like he was looking for someone else to block, and then too late realized he needed to block the linebacker.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    What was Lang doing on that play? It almost looked like he was looking for someone else to block, and then too late realized he needed to block the linebacker.
    It almost looked to me like Lang was pulling and looking for someone outside the LE to block, but then Lacy had to try to turn it inside when the TE let himself get pushed into the backfield. Assuming the play was designed to go outside, if R.Rodgers gets a decent block and if Lacy doesn't get dragged down from behind by Levy (not clear whether he could have avoided him), that could have been a monster gain.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    It almost looked to me like Lang was pulling and looking for someone outside the LE to block, but then Lacy had to try to turn it inside when the TE let himself get pushed into the backfield. Assuming the play was designed to go outside, if R.Rodgers gets a decent block and if Lacy doesn't get dragged down from behind by Levy (not clear whether he could have avoided him), that could have been a monster gain.
    If what you're describing is accurate, that's an awfully dangerous play to be running out of your own endzone. Especially given the struggles R.Rodgers has had with his blocking.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    That safety play was outrageous. It looked like Madden's AI was controlling the right side of that line. Dick Rodgers looked like he was blocking a grenade, Lang was blocking air. If Tom Crabtree is on this team, there is no safety.

Also what a great slice of luck picking off a ball to the 1 yard line. I think everyone knew when that happened that Stafford had just thrown a 2 point TD pass. The Lions drive after the field position from the safety kick led to 3 points as well so you could blame that on the offense as well. The fact that the defense only gave up what it did despite against 40 minutes of lions offense is goddamn spectacular. What a waste of a great performance from the D.
    Last edited by 3irty1; 09-22-2014 at 11:43 AM.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    That is the first question:

1. I think Lang was supposed to double the DE and kick him out. Almost a trap action. In mid-stride, he sees Levy hurtling through the hole Bulaga has created by blocking down on the DT. He stops to try to get a piece of him and misses. In the end, he might have been better of doubling the DE and giving Lacy a chance at getting by Levy himself. As it was, Lang made the hole even smaller and Levy's job was easier. But its easy to see what Lang was trying to prevent, a free body destroying the play in the backfield for a safety.

Second question:

2. Normally, I would expect the center to explode and go get the LB which would be tough because he is reading Lacy and will immediately head to the O's right. Linsley will be chasing that backer. But since its a short yardage play, he just needs to slow him down to help Lacy get something. But as it plays out, it looks like Sitton is using the same trap action to chase the LB. Linsley is blocking down. Now pulling Sitton would be in a good position to seal off the other ILB, but he's never going to get near Levy.

Its possible Bulaga was supposed to slide off the DT and catch Levy, meaning Linsley should have stayed with his most had on man for a quick double with Bulaga.

Its either the worst run call for that defensive alignment, in which case someone should have bailed on it OR someone blew a call or assignment. It might be the young center should have changed the line call.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    I don't think it was designed to go outside, it was designed to be run off-tackle. I would bet Lang was doubling the DE with Rodgers.