Thread: Time to Scrap the No Huddle?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The game plan stunk up the place yesterday...MM was horrible. For the first time that I can remember, I think the whole coaching staff has "lost" this team.

Going into the game, we knew a few things. First, Lions had the 2nd best RUSH defense in the league. Second, the secondary was/is bad with two people just added to the team this past week. Lastly, our OL was going to struggle against the Lions.

As the game went on, the Lions even lost their MLB.

MM out thought himself. He was hell bent on rushing the ball for two reasons, to keep his defense off the field and to slow down the pass rush. What did this cause? Multiple times we were in 3rd and longer,which only increased the ability of the Lions pass rush.

AR should've thrown that ball all OVER the field....teams that cant rush the ball use WR screens, quick slants and short passes to slow down the pass rush.

On a side note, it amazes me that Calvin Johnson seems to be so wide open yesterday against our "better" DBs...yet Jordy Nelson and company have DBs draped all over them all day....why is this?
    If you don't like me....bite me...
    ....want some, come get some!

Quote Originally Posted by Ballboy View Post
    The game plan stunk up the place yesterday...MM was horrible. For the first time that I can remember, I think the whole coaching staff has "lost" this team.

Going into the game, we knew a few things. First, Lions had the 2nd best RUSH defense in the league. Second, the secondary was/is bad with two people just added to the team this past week. Lastly, our OL was going to struggle against the Lions.

As the game went on, the Lions even lost their MLB.

MM out thought himself. He was hell bent on rushing the ball for two reasons, to keep his defense off the field and to slow down the pass rush. What did this cause? Multiple times we were in 3rd and longer,which only increased the ability of the Lions pass rush.

AR should've thrown that ball all OVER the field....teams that cant rush the ball use WR screens, quick slants and short passes to slow down the pass rush.

On a side note, it amazes me that Calvin Johnson seems to be so wide open yesterday against our "better" DBs...yet Jordy Nelson and company have DBs draped all over them all day....why is this?
    Because Megatron is the best WR in the game today. Plus he has a decided height advantage over our guys (and most DBs in the league). Jordy is a great WR but he isn't in Johnson's league. Maybe only one or two others are.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Because Megatron is the best WR in the game today. Plus he has a decided height advantage over our guys (and most DBs in the league). Jordy is a great WR but he isn't in Johnson's league. Maybe only one or two others are.

To me, what makes Calvin Johnson the best wide receiver in the game is that he is 6'5" and can catch balls when he's got guys draped all over him. He's a good route runner, but no better than Jordy. So the question remains: how did Johnson get so, so open, and Nelson not?

Lots of good posts in this thread. I want to add one bit: I wonder if Rodgers is getting too insulated, too cocky. He seems so damn arrogant on the field, and by that I mean that when a pass isn't completed, he often gesticulates angrily at his receiver about it. He kinda shows guy up on the field, and that's not cool. How about if Jordy gestured angrily at Rodgers for missing on that fourth down pass? I think Rodgers is maybe getting too much of a free pass from his coaches and teammates.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    To me, what makes Calvin Johnson the best wide receiver in the game is that he is 6'5" and can catch balls when he's got guys draped all over him. He's a good route runner, but no better than Jordy. So the question remains: how did Johnson get so, so open, and Nelson not?
    CJ had 10 targets, 6 catches for 82 yards, no TD's and a long of 26.

JN had 7 targets, 5 catches for 59 yards, no TD's and a long of 18.

Yes CJ was going up against better DB's, but those numbers are not 'Wide open all day'. I don't think there is a defense in the league that wouldn't take that line against CJ.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post

Lots of good posts in this thread. I want to add one bit: I wonder if Rodgers is getting too insulated, too cocky. He seems so damn arrogant on the field, and by that I mean that when a pass isn't completed, he often gesticulates angrily at his receiver about it. He kinda shows guy up on the field, and that's not cool. How about if Jordy gestured angrily at Rodgers for missing on that fourth down pass? I think Rodgers is maybe getting too much of a free pass from his coaches and teammates.
    Perhaps it is because he towers over almost every DB so he can snatch the ball out of air over defenders?

I wonder if most really good QBs get cocky after a while? We've seen P. Manning and Brady bitching at their receivers for screwing up and they have been getting away with that for years.