Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Time to Scrap the No Huddle?

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    But do we know how often Rodgers is changing the play that MM called at the LOS?
    No, we don't know, but either way the result is the same. If it's not on Stubby, it's on ARod.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

In week Seattle ran 66 play, in week 2 NY Jets ran 71 plays and in week 3 Detroit ran 74 plays. Somehow the Packers defense got an 'OK' report in week three even though the Lions totally controlled the hapless Packers defense - the D got toyed with again (stats don't lie). Packers D is getting killed on third downs again this season.

So yes, it's time the Packers offense got away from speeding things up too much as the defense can't stop opponent sufficiently on third downs and are easy to control. It would take a whole lot of turnovers to make up for the lack of talent on Packers D...especially the front seven. And having a bad front seven won't help the secondary much. Alas, won't help create turnovers.

Now the lame bickering between Stubby & AR is not helping but I guess both have a point. What none of them mentions is that the Packers OL, is yet AGAIN, among the worst talented in the NFL.

And please stop turning AR into the next BF miracle-do-it-all-gunslinger...oh, sorry, that's already happened. Until next season then - hopefully Packers won't waste yet another HOF caliber QBs career surrounded with mediocre talent!
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2019,
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2018,
    PackerRats Pick'Em 2016-17 Champ + Packers year Survival Football Champ 2017,
    Rats Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2013,
    Ratz Survival Football Champ 2012,
    PackerRats1 Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2006.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mmmdk View Post
    And please stop turning AR into the next BF miracle-do-it-all-gunslinger...oh, sorry, that's already happened. Until next season then - hopefully Packers won't waste yet another HOF caliber QBs career surrounded with mediocre talent!
    Wouldn't most of the talent that surrounds Rodgers be mediocre by comparison?
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Because Megatron is the best WR in the game today. Plus he has a decided height advantage over our guys (and most DBs in the league). Jordy is a great WR but he isn't in Johnson's league. Maybe only one or two others are.

To me, what makes Calvin Johnson the best wide receiver in the game is that he is 6'5" and can catch balls when he's got guys draped all over him. He's a good route runner, but no better than Jordy. So the question remains: how did Johnson get so, so open, and Nelson not?

Lots of good posts in this thread. I want to add one bit: I wonder if Rodgers is getting too insulated, too cocky. He seems so damn arrogant on the field, and by that I mean that when a pass isn't completed, he often gesticulates angrily at his receiver about it. He kinda shows guy up on the field, and that's not cool. How about if Jordy gestured angrily at Rodgers for missing on that fourth down pass? I think Rodgers is maybe getting too much of a free pass from his coaches and teammates.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    To me, what makes Calvin Johnson the best wide receiver in the game is that he is 6'5" and can catch balls when he's got guys draped all over him. He's a good route runner, but no better than Jordy. So the question remains: how did Johnson get so, so open, and Nelson not?
    CJ had 10 targets, 6 catches for 82 yards, no TD's and a long of 26.

JN had 7 targets, 5 catches for 59 yards, no TD's and a long of 18.

Yes CJ was going up against better DB's, but those numbers are not 'Wide open all day'. I don't think there is a defense in the league that wouldn't take that line against CJ.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

They were also rolling coverage toward Jordy. Not sure if Packers were doing that to Johnson.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

SI_DougFarrar ‏@SI_DougFarrar 6m
    Working on stat piece on Green Bay's offense for tomorrow. Would actually need to add a few flavors to get up to vanilla.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post

Lots of good posts in this thread. I want to add one bit: I wonder if Rodgers is getting too insulated, too cocky. He seems so damn arrogant on the field, and by that I mean that when a pass isn't completed, he often gesticulates angrily at his receiver about it. He kinda shows guy up on the field, and that's not cool. How about if Jordy gestured angrily at Rodgers for missing on that fourth down pass? I think Rodgers is maybe getting too much of a free pass from his coaches and teammates.
    Perhaps it is because he towers over almost every DB so he can snatch the ball out of air over defenders?

I wonder if most really good QBs get cocky after a while? We've seen P. Manning and Brady bitching at their receivers for screwing up and they have been getting away with that for years.

SI_DougFarrar ‏@SI_DougFarrar 25m
    Packers have gone from 35.6% of snaps in 11 personnel in 2010 to 76.6 now. Almost all formation diversity is gone.

Aaron Nagler ‏@AaronNagler 24m
    @SI_DougFarrar Been preaching this for over a year. It's what made Mike so good. He's completely chucked it out the window.

Chris B. Brown ‏@smartfootball 21m
    @AaronNagler @SI_DougFarrar I guess part of it was they wanted to play faster but they haven't done that either

Aaron Nagler ‏@AaronNagler 9m
    @smartfootball @SI_DougFarrar That's the maddening part. We saw them going lightning fast for two drives in the preseason. Pretty much it.

Matt Bowen ‏@MattBowen41 5m
    @AaronNagler @smartfootball @SI_DougFarrar W/O movement & multiple personnel groupings, the D doesn't have to adjust. Just line up & play.

Telll me which one is the coach:

SI_DougFarrar ‏@SI_DougFarrar 1h
    Packers have gone from 35.6% of snaps in 11 personnel in 2010 to 76.6 now. Almost all formation diversity is gone.

Aaron Nagler ‏@AaronNagler 44m
    @smartfootball @SI_DougFarrar That's the maddening part. We saw them going lightning fast for two drives in the preseason. Pretty much it.

Matt Bowen ‏@MattBowen41 40m
    @AaronNagler @smartfootball @SI_DougFarrar W/O movement & multiple personnel groupings, the D doesn't have to adjust. Just line up & play.

Peter Bukowski ‏@BukoTime 39m
    @MattBowen41 @AaronNagler @smartfootball @SI_DougFarrar Also noted that Peyton Manning doesn't like motion either. Didn't know that.

SI_DougFarrar ‏@SI_DougFarrar 36m
    @BukoTime @MattBowen41 @AaronNagler @smartfootball Mid-2000s Colts ran more 11 than anyone. Over and over. Was easier w/Cover-2 as primary D

Chris B. Brown ‏@smartfootball 2m
    @SI_DougFarrar @BukoTime @MattBowen41 @AaronNagler well advantage for Manning was he got looks he could then adjust plays to, used tempo

Chris B. Brown ‏@smartfootball 1m
    @SI_DougFarrar @BukoTime @MattBowen41 @AaronNagler Using limited sets is not inherently wrong but it has implications of how you use it
    Last edited by pbmax; 09-25-2014 at 05:47 PM.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Then they go off the rails.

Matt Bowen ‏@MattBowen41 48m

Chris B. Brown ‏@smartfootball 10m
    @MattBowen41 @AaronNagler @SI_DougFarrar You have to do one or the other. Tempo or be multiple. Can't let Ds tee off. And it's not like they

SI_DougFarrar ‏@SI_DougFarrar 2m
    And there it is. RT @smartfootball @MattBowen41 @AaronNagler You have to do one or the other. Tempo or be multiple.

Manning's offense with the Colts didn't sub out of 11 personnel, and he called everything at the LOS. He would dummy signal and if the D shifted, he adjusted again.

Its not the tempo, its the fact the only player Rodgers can call that last adjustment with a hand signal to is Nelson. Should be Cobb too, but he has been pedestrian. Adams and Boykin take turns either missing a signal or dropping a pass. If this doesn't change, or if they don't figure out a way to change the routes en masse, then I think they have to go back to multiple.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Telll me which on is the coach:
    It's all on the coach. And he's comfortable with it... http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-pa...-run-no-huddle

But it does not sound like McCarthy is ready to make any significant changes -- either in personnel or scheme -- heading into Sunday’s game at the Chicago Bears.

"Our offense really isn't where we would like it to be," McCarthy said. "Whether we're in no-huddle or whether we’re in what we call standard huddle, mechanically what we’re doing I'm comfortable with."
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    It's all on the coach. And he's comfortable with it... http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-pa...-run-no-huddle
    That was supposed to say "one" as in, which Twitter user was a coach. But your post is a great find regardless.

The idea of using the same formation 78% of the time seems almost neanderthal. The Bears have a defensive secondary in a state of flux. I would think being able to face the same offensive alignment over and over would be a help to them. We'll see.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    The idea of using the same formation 78% of the time seems almost neanderthal. The Bears have a defensive secondary in a state of flux. I would think being able to face the same offensive alignment over and over would be a help to them. We'll see.
    A lot depends on what they do with the personnel. You can run any number of things with 11 personnel (1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WR) but they were caught running a lot of deep routes versus the Lions Cover 2. If they can get to a better play call, then I don't care about the personnel package.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    A lot depends on what they do with the personnel. You can run any number of things with 11 personnel (1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WR) but they were caught running a lot of deep routes versus the Lions Cover 2. If they can get to a better play call, then I don't care about the personnel package.
    Jordy, Cobb, Boykin and Quarless ain't exactly Jennings, Jordy, Jones and Finley though. I think they're kind of limited with what they can do because Cobb isn't very well suited for playing outside, and Quarless isn't as flexible as Finley. They're less talented and in my opinion somewhat more predictable.

By the way, when Boykin filled in so well when Cobb was hurt last year, did he line up primarily in the slot? I'm just wondering if his reduced effectiveness is due to having to play outside more.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

By the way, when Boykin filled in so well when Cobb was hurt last year, did he line up primarily in the slot? I'm just wondering if his reduced effectiveness is due to having to play outside more.
    McGinn on Cobb in Detroit:

Not once did Cobb line up outside. All day long he had the slot two-way go against the Lions' fifth and sixth nickel backs, Danny Gorrer and Mohammed Seisay. A hard grader would give Cobb two drops. More alarming was the fact he couldn't beat these newly arrived free agents like a drum. Playing slot in this offense with this quarterback should be a ticket to enormous production and the stardom that goes with that. But Cobb's ho-hum play throughout training camp has carried over into the regular season.
    Edit: "Now I see" said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw.
    You were referring to Boykins having success last year in the slot.
    Last edited by Harlan Huckleby; 09-25-2014 at 07:13 PM.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/09/25/pac...lson-struggles

One other thing that isn't helping Rodgers' case: he's tied with Joe Flacco for the league's highest percentage of dropped passes at 9.8. Not all of the inaccuracy has been the fault of Rodgers' receivers -- Rodgers has underthrown several deep routes this season -- but that doesn't help.

Jordy, Cobb, Boykin and Quarless ain't exactly Jennings, Jordy, Jones and Finley though. I think they're kind of limited with what they can do because Cobb isn't very well suited for playing outside, and Quarless isn't as flexible as Finley. They're less talented and in my opinion somewhat more predictable.

Jordy played the slot.