Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: dumb ideas

dumb ideas

Why not have Jordy Nelson return kickoffs? He's nifty, field position is critical.

I thought it might be useful to have all the bad ideas consolidated in one thread for future reference.

What's on your mind today? (specific call-out deleted for cheapness)

Nelson returned kickoffs for a while in 2010, I think. Here is what we learned:

A. Sometime he fumbles when he returns kickoffs. At least Harris and Hyde don't do that.
    B. He was never especially explosive returning kicks. Occasionally he got it out around the 40, nothing that Harris or Hyde couldn't do.
    C. If Nelson goes down the Packers are in a world of shit, and exposing him on an extra 2-3 plays per game when someone else can do the job just as well would be, well, dumb.

Dumb idea: the longer, leaner and more athletic clearly isn't working as advertised. Instead of trying to work the wrinkles out (or patch the gaping holes, pick your metaphor), they should re-sign Jolly and convince Houston to give Pickett back to them for a D5.

I'd rather they let Janis return kicks and punts so he can use his speed.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    I'd rather they let Janis return kicks and punts so he can use his speed.
    +1
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Ok here's mine. Let Julius Peppers play tight end.

1) 6'7" 290 lbs
    2) Its been done a little before. Mike Vrabel and Jason Taylor come to mind. Especially in the red zone.
    3) He's got the basketball background that has been proven to work with guys like Gates.
    4) It could extend his career by a couple of years.
    5) Its a huge need.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Elegantly Wasted Rat All-Pro Noodle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post

1) 6'7" 290 lbs
    2) Its been done a little before. Mike Vrabel and Jason Taylor come to mind. Especially in the red zone.
    3) He's got the basketball background that has been proven to work with guys like Gates.
    5) Its a huge need.
    I LIKE this dumb idea, a lot.

He'd be a matchup nightmare in the red zone or on third downs, running simple stick or drag routes.

And I'm not really worried that he's going to get hurt, as he'd be bigger than anyone trying to bring him down.

So let's get MM on the phone and get this done!

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Brilliant Turdy1!! Can we start one of those online petitions?

Blog Entries
    DUMB IDEA

Sign Brad Jones as a starter...wait....we did that already

ok....here is another

After he's back, start him again
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Green & Gold Shades Rat HOFer channtheman's Avatar
    We should do some voodoo magic and resurrect Howard Green to lead the Packers to another Super Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    DUMB IDEA

Sign Brad Jones as a starter...wait....we did that already

ok....here is another

After he's back, start him again
    After Sunday, we know he isn't the only problem. Even with Hawk having a good year.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Dom Capers as DC.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    After Sunday, we know he isn't the only problem. Even with Hawk having a good year.

AJ Hawk is a solid last LB; in the end he makes a lot of junk tackles a few yards down the field. He's a great effort guy....a chaser....but not a playmaker.

I wonder how CJ Mosely is doing. Shazier was playing very well before getting hurt.

GB's ILB's this year are worse than last year's safeties.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    AJ Hawk is a solid last LB; in the end he makes a lot of junk tackles a few yards down the field. He's a great effort guy....a chaser....but not a playmaker.

I wonder how CJ Mosely is doing. Shazier was playing very well before getting hurt.

GB's ILB's this year are worse than last year's safeties.
    Your longstanding blood feud with Brad Jones withstanding, this is clearly not true. Jennings and McMillian aren't even in the league anymore.

Here is a question to fry your noodle:

Is Clay Matthews a worse ILB than Brad Jones is an OLB/SAM?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Here is a question to fry your noodle:

Is Clay Matthews a worse ILB than Brad Jones is an OLB/SAM?
    Way too small of a sample size to tell. In their respective best games at the position Jones is better, in their respective worst games Jones is worse.

But this season the hyperbole originally crafted to fit Jones has been reality for Matthews: Oft injured and error prone with a team-crippling contract.

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post

1) 6'7" 290 lbs
    5) Its a huge need.
    This will happen at some point this season. He'd be un-guardable.

Senior Rat Veteran TravisWilliams23's Avatar
    To get Lacy going, let use the toss sweep more. Just handing the ball off to him going wide isn't doing the trick. If MM adds a toss to the equation, it just might work.

Green & Gold Shades Rat HOFer channtheman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TravisWilliams23 View Post
    To get Lacy going, let use the toss sweep more. Just handing the ball off to him going wide isn't doing the trick. If MM adds a toss to the equation, it just might work.
    I like to call it a handoff toss because it doesn't quite reach the outside like a sweep does, and in reality only goes about as far as Rodgers reaching out and handing the ball off. In fact, it almost looks like the idea is to go off tackle with this ridiculous play call. The plus side to tossing the ball to the RB is that he has to look at the ball and secure it before attempting to find a hole to run through. By delaying the ability of the RB to locate the seam to run through, MM has also successfully allowed all the OL to drop their blocks by the time the RB has secured the ball. This play often results in a loss of at least 3 or 4 yards. A great success by any measure!

He doesn't have to go wide. Many of them have been an Outside Zone run. He needs to pick a hole and cut into it. Or Starks should get in the game.

They also are running a center pulling play to run off the guard. Gives you a lead blocker between the Guard and Tackle with a 1 RB set.