Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Packers/Vikings Discussion Thread Week 5

If there's any defense worse than the Packers, it's the Falcons. They have no one. It's a joke.

Pack covers the spread. -9 is a sucker number begging for Vikings money after a good game last week.

Quote Originally Posted by mission View Post
    If there's any defense worse than the Packers, it's the Falcons. They have no one. It's a joke.

Pack covers the spread. -9 is a sucker number begging for Vikings money after a good game last week.
    You really think so? Because while I do not agree with wist as to the causes of the meltdown, I do believe they are still in the middle of correcting it on D.

And what kind of offense is likely against a Zimmer D (first year though) in a Cover 2. I want Starks to have 140 yards running zone through a six man box, but I am not sure they are going to get it.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

The big question is whether the Packers defense can get off the field. Packers are dead last at stopping opponents on 3rd down. Opponents have converted 53% of 3rd downs. Packers have also allowed 5 4th down conversions, which is the most in the league. 7 4th down attempts by opponents is the most in the league. All of this has contributed to the Packers being 31st in time of possession, which tires the defense and limits the opportunities of the offense.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    I don't like the matchup. I'm not convinced that our passing offense is awake. Rodgers and Jordy sure but there is still not anything going in the middle of the field. Even though Cobb put up good stats on Sunday he still looks like a shell of himself to me. This week he'll face Munnerlyn who is a grade above the backup backups and linebackers he's struggled to separate from. Jordy will get his yards but Rhodes isn't garbage and should get plenty of help ala Detroit. If Rhodes has half the day that Slay had for Detroit, someone else is going to have to step up.

On defense, this is a greatest hits of things we've been terrible against. Should look like the diet version of Seattle's offense with tons of rushing, misdirection, and Cordarrelle Patterson playing the part of Percy Harvin.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    I don't like the matchup. I'm not convinced that our passing offense is awake. Rodgers and Jordy sure but there is still not anything going in the middle of the field. Even though Cobb put up good stats on Sunday he still looks like a shell of himself to me. This week he'll face Munnerlyn who is a grade above the backup backups and linebackers he's struggled to separate from. Jordy will get his yards but Rhodes isn't garbage and should get plenty of help ala Detroit. If Rhodes has half the day that Slay had for Detroit, someone else is going to have to step up.

On defense, this is a greatest hits of things we've been terrible against. Should look like the diet version of Seattle's offense with tons of rushing, misdirection, and Cordarrelle Patterson playing the part of Percy Harvin.
    Great post. Minnesota is 5th in the league in rushing. Packers are dead last in rushing defense. Pack is 5th in the league in pass defense. It's a no brainer. Minnesota is going to rush the ball.

On offense, we're 28th in the league rushing. On the other hand we have Aaron Rodgers. Minnesota has a middle of the road pass defense.

It's the same old story of the last couple years. Our best chance to win is Rodgers throwing lights out and our defense getting key turnovers... ...And Stubby keeping his head out of the game.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    You really think so? Because while I do not agree with wist as to the causes of the meltdown, I do believe they are still in the middle of correcting it on D.

And what kind of offense is likely against a Zimmer D (first year though) in a Cover 2. I want Starks to have 140 yards running zone through a six man box, but I am not sure they are going to get it.
    So now the truth comes out - you don't believe in stopping the run or defending the middle of the field either, huh?? Dom's ur man
    Last edited by wist43; 10-02-2014 at 09:44 AM.
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    So now the truth comes out - you don't believe in stopping the run or defending the middle of the either, huh?? Dom's ur man
    I was talking about the odds of this being a close game (under 9 points). What are you talking about?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Who's rushing the passer in Minny now, though? Floyd has been pretty bad. Griffen/Robison have been pretty quiet since Allen has been gone, and the game is on grass. Greenway is out, no? They have nowhere near the horsepower in the front 7 that Detroit has, and they're playing away. Detroit's success in coverage was more a function of that front 7 tearing ass on that carpet.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Bridgewater might be inactive:

Kevin Seifert: Basically didn't practice RT @GoesslingESPN: @AdamSchefter reporting this morning that signs point to Teddy Bridgewater not playing tonight.

I would like to see the Packers score first this week. In each of the first 3 weeks, they coughed up the ball and spotted their opponent a TD. In week 4, they didn't but they gave up a long scoring drive to start the game. How about if they try getting a lead and playing from ahead for a while?

I don't like the matchup....On defense, this is a greatest hits of things we've been terrible against. Should look like the diet version of Seattle's offense with tons of rushing, misdirection, and Cordarrelle Patterson playing the part of Percy Harvin.
    You may be right, but if so, think about what this means. The Packer will have played five games after tonight, and probably four of them looked like bad match ups. Can GB be anything more than a mediocre team if it matches up poorly not only against SEA but also against the likes of the Jets, the Vikings and the Lions?

From http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-pa...ackers-preview

Goessling: It still has a ways to go. Zimmer was talking on Tuesday about the defensive line, which has typically had the freedom to chase the quarterback, no matter the cost. Well, Zimmer wants his defensive linemen to rush as a team, not overpursuing for individual sacks while opening up a lane for the quarterback to escape, and he saw too much of that Sunday. The Vikings also need to get better depth in their secondary, and I still think they will wind up looking for a more effective counterpart for safety Harrison Smith then they have on the roster. The linebackers have some promise, especially with what Anthony Barr can do, but the Vikings have still been too easy to target in pass coverage. I think it's probably going to take another draft, and another year of Zimmer working with players on his system, but the D is definitely headed in the right direction. You already see flashes of how the Vikings could have a really good defense in the future, and Barr and Smith could be stars.
    It's why they let Jarred Allen go.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    Who's rushing the passer in Minny now, though? Floyd has been pretty bad. Griffen/Robison have been pretty quiet since Allen has been gone, and the game is on grass. Greenway is out, no? They have nowhere near the horsepower in the front 7 that Detroit has, and they're playing away. Detroit's success in coverage was more a function of that front 7 tearing ass on that carpet.
    Griffin's a solid starter. They also have the rookie Barr. Zimmer's Bengals also made Rodgers look like Cutler last time we played them. Coupled with the fact that its just a division game and anything can happen I just don't like it. I liked the matchup more with the Lions and Bears.

The thing I worry about most is the weather. If it rains and the field and ball get slick, any outcome could happen.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    You may be right, but if so, think about what this means. The Packer will have played five games after tonight, and probably four of them looked like bad match ups. Can GB be anything more than a mediocre team if it matches up poorly not only against SEA but also against the likes of the Jets, the Vikings and the Lions?
    I don't think the Lions are a bad matchup. That's a passing team who stops the run and we're a passing team who stops the pass. That's a game we should win.

As long as our offense is mediocre we're not good. Our defense can compliment an elite offense well but they aren't going to win games on their own.

It will be interesting to see how they use Cordarrelle. He had a big first game (over 100 yards rushing) but has a negative rushing total since then. He still worries me against a Packers D that has not shown they can defend plays that involve him coming out of the backfield.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I was talking about the odds of this being a close game (under 9 points). What are you talking about?
    You said you didn't agree with me on the causes of "the meltdown"... I assume you were talking about defense?

Since my argument is we are unsound in how we defend the run, line up in the front (six), and defend the middle of the field in general - you must agree with how Dom does those things...

3irty1 wants to blame the players - Dom is a genius of course... I guess you're in that camp.
    wist

Griffin's a solid starter. They also have the rookie Barr. Zimmer's Bengals also made Rodgers look like Cutler last time we played them. Coupled with the fact that its just a division game and anything can happen I just don't like it. I liked the matchup more with the Lions and Bears.
    Last time Zimmer faced Green Bay, he only had to focus on one side of the game and had a stud DL with Atkins, Peko, Johnson, and Dunlap up front. Griffen's a solid starter, but he's not close to Johnson. And the Vikes have no one in the same universe as Atkins right now. Hell, that Bengals D is continuing to thrive in his absence. They've just got a lot more talent right now than the Vikings. Zimmer will probably get that group tuned up and eventually start flustering Rodgers, but he needs time and talent to bring that bunch up.

I just don't see it for this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    From http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-pa...ackers-preview

It's why they let Jarred Allen go.
    I would love to see that pass rush on the Packers. Right now is as close as they have been to 2010, but its usually 2 or 3 setting up the QB to go down. Still better than last two years of single pass rusher penetration.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Ok this is from a guy that listens to Purple Kool-aid channel KFAN every day at work, this Vikings team is bad. Terrible corners, Xavier Rhodes may be a solid starter in the league year 3-7 but now he still gets bitch slapped. Munnerlyn is terrible, think Devon House falling every pass play terrible. They could barely get QB Pressure with a TE as the RT against the Falcons. Barr will be a stud. Harrison Smith is decent to good but really is a run stopper.

Their offense is PATHETIC. Asiata and McKinnon are NOT good. McKinnon goes down like a freshman at prom and Asiata is a less talented Toby Gerhart. Paterson cannot run routes well yet and is a gimick thus far, million dollar talent 10 cent head. GJ is slowing and Wynn is not a threat to a decent corner. Rudolph is out for at least 3 more weeks. Their O Line is pathetically bad. Kahlil is a turnstile at LT and their right side can really only run block.

Ponder or Bridgewater is potato potato. Bridge has a below average arm with a little scramble to him that is about it, Ponder is well Ponder he has the arm but cant go through the progressions as well as he should, he doesnt get out of his head.

The only chance they have is if it is a quagmire and there is only the running game to rely on.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.