Thread: Official Packers/Vikings Discussion Thread Week 5

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    You really think so? Because while I do not agree with wist as to the causes of the meltdown, I do believe they are still in the middle of correcting it on D.

And what kind of offense is likely against a Zimmer D (first year though) in a Cover 2. I want Starks to have 140 yards running zone through a six man box, but I am not sure they are going to get it.
    So now the truth comes out - you don't believe in stopping the run or defending the middle of the field either, huh?? Dom's ur man
    Last edited by wist43; 10-02-2014 at 09:44 AM.
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    So now the truth comes out - you don't believe in stopping the run or defending the middle of the either, huh?? Dom's ur man
    I was talking about the odds of this being a close game (under 9 points). What are you talking about?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I was talking about the odds of this being a close game (under 9 points). What are you talking about?
    You said you didn't agree with me on the causes of "the meltdown"... I assume you were talking about defense?

Since my argument is we are unsound in how we defend the run, line up in the front (six), and defend the middle of the field in general - you must agree with how Dom does those things...

3irty1 wants to blame the players - Dom is a genius of course... I guess you're in that camp.
    wist

You said you didn't agree with me on the causes of "the meltdown"... I assume you were talking about defense?

Since my argument is we are unsound in how we defend the run, line up in the front (six), and defend the middle of the field in general - you must agree with how Dom does those things...

3irty1 wants to blame the players - Dom is a genius of course... I guess you're in that camp.
    I agree on all areas of concern (middle of D in general, run D and over pursuit in particular). I don't agree that Capers is designing unsound defenses.

But unless you have a lead, you cannot combine a pass defense focus with shoddy run defense fundamentals and they haven't had that squared away since 2010 and the first 7 games of 2013.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I agree on all areas of concern (middle of D in general, run D and over pursuit in particular). I don't agree that Capers is designing unsound defenses.

But unless you have a lead, you cannot combine a pass defense focus with shoddy run defense fundamentals and they haven't had that squared away since 2010 and the first 7 games of 2013.
    If what Capers is doing is sound, then I would hate to see what you would consider unsound.

Lining up in the nickel, with only 2 DL on the field on 3rd and 1?? Okay fine, let's say that's a grand idea - is positioning both of your DL outside the Guards "sound"?? The center must be wondering, "... where the fuck did the defensive line go"?? Cutler had to be wondering - "wow, I guess they want me to run for 20 yds... what's the catch"??

The Lockette TD is a perfect example of being unsound - and not just b/c the player on the back end is a rookie in his first game.

I don't watch nearly as much football as I used to, but I can't remember ever seeing a defense allow more free runners, more uncontested catches, more blown assignments, more instances of being outmanned at the POA, on and on...

If you think what Capers is doing is sound - then it is 100% on the players - which means it is 100% on TT.
    wist

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Lining up in the nickel, with only 2 DL on the field on 3rd and 1?? Okay fine, let's say that's a grand idea - is positioning both of your DL outside the Guards "sound"?? The center must be wondering, "... where the fuck did the defensive line go"?? Cutler had to be wondering - "wow, I guess they want me to run for 20 yds... what's the catch"??
    What play are you talking about here?
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    What play are you talking about here?
    There's no shortage of examples - go thru the tape. I don't have it anymore, so I can't watch it.

That said, Capers routinely either completely abandons, or gives very short shrift to defending anything up the middle - haven't you noticed how easy it is for teams to just run it down our throats?? That would be b/c Capers isn't even thinking about defending the middle of the field - he admitted as much in that JS article.

That said, last night he did actually bottle up the middle much of the night - very much out of character for Capers, and very much what is needed every game. As should be obvious though, that will not be a trend - it was a one game deal... next week he will be right back to his nonsense.
    wist

Now I'm not gambling anymore because I wasn't profitable (too much "emotion/hunch betting") so my opinion isn't worth very much (at all), but spread seems to beg for money on the Vikings side given the larger number and that 9 points isn't really considered much different than 7.5 points. It's a bad number to take up to -9.5 for the Vikings but the "public" sees that and wants to jump all over it. Screams a blow-out really; just remember spreads are not a predictor of the score, but a way to get 50/50 money on each side so they books are not exposed and can rake their 10% vig.

Quote Originally Posted by mission View Post
    Now I'm not gambling anymore because I wasn't profitable (too much "emotion/hunch betting") so my opinion isn't worth very much (at all), but spread seems to beg for money on the Vikings side given the larger number and that 9 points isn't really considered much different than 7.5 points. It's a bad number to take up to -9.5 for the Vikings but the "public" sees that and wants to jump all over it. Screams a blow-out really; just remember spreads are not a predictor of the score, but a way to get 50/50 money on each side so they books are not exposed and can rake their 10% vig.
    Agreed, 9 points means money so far is on the Packers. Still, it's attractive.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...