Thread: Thursday games pretty dumb

Thursday games pretty dumb

You can't recover from football game inn 4 days. Minor injuries like Bridgewater's mild sprained ankle are worse. Just dumb.

If they want to do this Thursday game, why not schedules byes for the two team prior? That's doable.

I think fans mostly don't like Thursday games anyway.

Shouldn't this go under your dumb ideas thread?

The dumb store called, they're running out of YOU.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    The dumb store called, they're running out of YOU.
    You're their all-time best seller.

Actually a bye before Thursday games is a decent idea. There was a suggestion on the radio to add a second bye to accommodate this. Yes it pushes things back, but hey there isn't much worth watching between the SB and opening day, so shortening that time is a good thing.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

This actually isn't a bad idea, the players sure wouldn't mind it as most HATE the short week.

The short weeks/Thursday games are ridiculous. An injury like Bridgewater's in a good example - he'll probably be questionable for the game, if he had 2 more days rest, I'd say he'd be much more likely to play.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Every team getting their bye week before their Thursday game also eliminates the advantage one team usually has when coming off a bye week while their opponent isn't.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Thursday games are a pain in the ass to make time for. The games start at 6:30 here and I'm usually just coming home from work, trying to get a couple hours with the kids at that time. I'm going to be out yelling at our school board this Thursday so I'll probably miss the first half.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Does the math work with the beginning of the season creating a weird situation where a team will play its first game four days after all the others? And no one will be happy with a team having a bye at the end of the season just before the playoffs get underway.

Rodgers was asked about a second bye week yesterday for this express purpose and he didn't like it. He thought a second bye week just made the season longer. Not the same as seven days off.

He also mentioned that the ultimate goal of a second by week would be to usher in an 18 game season.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

In my current life I have gotten used to the reality that no time is a good time for a football game. They all suck, because every waking minute is already claimed by work or kids. So these days I don't really care about Thursday vs. Sunday. Fortunately there is one alternative that works for me: buy NFL rewind, discipline yourself not to check scores until you've watched the game, and run it during an early morning workout.

Blog Entries
    Harlan, try to limit yourself to one dumb thread a page.

Actually, this is a kinda smart thread.

Winning the Thurs game is great, losing it blows big time.

They could do something to lessen the toll on the players.

The Thursday games only demonstrate how much the NFL's concern for player safety is a buncha bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Does the math work with the beginning of the season creating a weird situation where a team will play its first game four days after all the others? And no one will be happy with a team having a bye at the end of the season just before the playoffs get underway.
    There's no need to have a bye before week 1 because teams play on Thursday the previous week and mostly don't play their starters.

A bye before the last game is only a little advantage (no team would have a bye on the last week).

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    The Thursday games only demonstrate how much the NFL's concern for player safety is a buncha bullshit.
    The NFL is fully concerned getting people to think they are concerned about player safety.

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    There's no need to have a bye before week 1 because teams play on Thursday the previous week and mostly don't play their starters.

A bye before the last game is only a little advantage (no team would have a bye on the last week).
    Week One:
    Thursday Night Launch
    Sunday Games

Week Two:
    first regular Thursday night game*
    Sunday Games

Either Week 2's teams are coming off 4 days rest or they had a bye Week One.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Well then don't start the Thursday night shit until week 5. The NFL just wants more opportunities to air games, but they could already doing that by giving every team 4 byes and making the season 3 weeks longer. But, that's really none of my business.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Hawk said in a post game interview last Sunday that he was ready to play another game Monday. I love Thursday night football. Friday night and Saturday too. http://www.packers.com/media-center/...f-31c55388ac32
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

I love Saturday games after college is done. Thursday has always been an odd fit. Monday Night was great when your team was finally good enough to be on the schedule. Not such a big deal now. I miss most Monday night games.

Rat Starter
    Oh, please, you pussified NFL playas! Quit crying about playing on a short week. NFL players don't get hit in practice anymore. On game day, they only get hit for about 30 minutes since they are now "specialized" players, unlike the 3-ways players of the leather helmet years.

I've seen John Cena fight a tough, prolonged match in a WWE cash-cow pay-per-view event on Sunday night only to fight another tough, prolonged match on Monday Night Raw less than 24 hours later.

Yo Sitton: Hustle, loyalty and respect!