Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Cobb

CutlerquitRat HOFer

Cobb

Is it just me or is he hurting his chances for a monster contract. He seems to be, at least this year, a product of AR instead of being a top flight WR.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    And yes he has a ton of TDs this year but it just "seems" different this year.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

a lot of shit is "just different" this year than last. running game, Rodgers (early on), too much shot-gun, dicey deep balls instead of open/easy underneath stuff (nearly got jordy killed yesterday), just to name a few.

I think what's different is that the Packers don't have a TE in the lineup who can stretch the middle of the field. Cobb is drawing more attention than ever before. It's just a different offense than it's been. The Packers are 19th in the NFL in passing YPG, but they're getting by because Rodgers is ridiculously good in the red zone. Cobb is a big part of that.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    But is he doing anything that warrants a big contract? Was James Jones that important?

First couple of weeks Cobb was invisible, but he's been better since. The offer that he gets will probably be decent simply because the Packers need 3+ good options. Boykin has looked like less than nothing this year and Janis doesn't have Rodgers trust yet. He won't get Jordy money from anyone, so the Packers have a decent shot at re-signing him.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

I know ARod's stats are great, but I think it's obvious we miss Finley (and probably James Jones for the first few games, but I think Adams is stating to give us what Jones gave us). The threat of Finley opened things up on offense. The offense's ability (ARod's ability) to convert in the red zone so far this year is masking a lot of deficiencies on offense. Plus, the turnovers are helping the offense in the points scored department.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    I know ARod's stats are great, but I think it's obvious we miss Finley (and probably James Jones for the first few games, but I think Adams is stating to give us what Jones gave us). The threat of Finley opened things up on offense. The offense's ability (ARod's ability) to convert in the red zone so far this year is masking a lot of deficiencies on offense. Plus, the turnovers are helping the offense in the points scored department.
    Packers are 26th offensively in YPG, and 8th in PPG. That can't continue forever. Bostick must really be in the doghouse, because he has a skill set they could really use.

Blog Entries
    Cobb is getting no separation.....and they really really miss Jmike. Even though he underperformed for us he was light years better than what we have.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Cobb is coming on. I'd still like to see him break a long one and get some yac but he's coming along.
    Go PACK

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
    Cobb is coming on. I'd still like to see him break a long one and get some yac but he's coming along.
    Yeah, I think the leg is healing.

At the start, he was missing some shake and speed.

I'm willing to give him until the later part of the season before I consider him diminished.

TE situation is not really much different this year than it was last year. Finley only played 5+ games last year, then was done for the season. Finley not being here at all this year is not the reason for the offense's struggles.

Cobb had 31 catches last year in the six games he played. He has 29 this year in six games. His yardage is less, but his TDs are up.

Cobb is what he has always been for them, a guy that doesn't do much in the play as designed, but stands out when a play breaks down, or Rodgers extends a play beyond its original design. MCGinn wrote about it during TC:

Rodgers ... also has said Cobb was one of a kind when it comes to breaking off routes and getting free when Rodgers flees the pocket.

In 2012, Rodgers was on the move on nine of Cobb's 17 receptions for 20 yards or more. Last season, six of Cobb's eight 20-plus catches came with the quarterback scrambling.

That means that a full 60% of Cobb's longest receptions in 2012-'13 (15 of 25) came after adjustments from his designed route. In contrast, merely 13.3% of Nelson's receptions (four of 30) worth 20 yards or more came on scrambles.

A review of Nelson's big plays the past two years shows a series of takeoffs, deep comebacks, seams, back-shoulders, digs, overs and hitches. He was an outside receiver until Cobb went down last year and then, for the first time, played substantially inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    I think what's different is that the Packers don't have a TE in the lineup who can stretch the middle of the field. Cobb is drawing more attention than ever before. It's just a different offense than it's been. The Packers are 19th in the NFL in passing YPG, but they're getting by because Rodgers is ridiculously good in the red zone. Cobb is a big part of that.
    was told yesterday that te was open a lot yesterday but Rodgers chose not to go to him. Read somewhere that Q even told AR he was open all the time. I'd trade a two-snap, big play drive (that we always seem to be going for) for a ten play drive that eats the clock, and rests the d, once in a while. if they're giving us the short/med routes we should take them and sustain drives.

Packers are 26th offensively in YPG, and 8th in PPG. That can't continue forever. Bostick must really be in the doghouse, because he has a skill set they could really use.
    I think you can come close if the keep on a +7 turnover ration per five or six game rate.

Finley drew safety coverage at times, I will give him that. Not much else though. He was a different player since the injury. More of a threat than Quarless, but not the guy he was previously. Not sure he could have stayed in Green Bay, happy with a lesser contract, without learning that lesson the hard way.

By that I mean leaving for disappointing offers, not another injury.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

You won't convince me that Finley wouldn't do wonders for this offense. There were others that helped make up for it, but Finley was a difference maker. I would have loved to see Finley combined with Lacy. We never really got to see much of it.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    was told yesterday that te was open a lot yesterday but Rodgers chose not to go to him. Read somewhere that Q even told AR he was open all the time. I'd trade a two-snap, big play drive (that we always seem to be going for) for a ten play drive that eats the clock, and rests the d, once in a while. if they're giving us the short/med routes we should take them and sustain drives.
    He gets linebacker coverage and can probably beat all but the best. But its a limited threat the D wants to cover the TE with a LB, except perhaps in the red zone.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

One thing to remember about Cobb, the safety that used to cover Finley is now free to double Cobb. The Dolphins put Grimes on Nelson but Cobb was doubled in the slot.

Nelson has received that treatment in two games. I wonder what made the Dolphins switch?

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...1.html#packers

On the TD to Cobb against the fins the talking heads on BSPN and the NFLN all pointed out how Cobb never gave up on the play scrambling around in the end zone knowing AR would also try to escape the pocket and keep the play alive. Not all WRs do this like Randall did on Sunday.

Sure Finley, or someone like him would help the offense, but they played most of 2013 without him too. If you are looking for reasons that the offense is different this year than last, Finley isn't the reason, because he wasn't there most of last year either.

They got Bulaga back, which should be an improvement. EDS had one of the worst years statistically for a Packer center in a long time, both in run blocking and pass pro, and his replacement is earning high praise. Yet, overall the OL play has been bad.

It all starts with the OL, not as individuals but as an overall unit performance. But, this is no surprise. They start poorly almost every year.