Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Re: McGinn's Article on Trading a Cornerback

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion Lannister View Post
    Yeah, but House ain't starter material, therefore, he ain't worth 6M/yr.
    I think he is for some teams. There were many years that GB played with worse than House.
    I didn't think he played horribly last night. Williams wasn't perfect either. The rules are pretty much stacked against DBs these days, and some plays, some games any of the DB's can look bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I think he is for some teams. There were many years that GB played with worse than House.
    I didn't think he played horribly last night. Williams wasn't perfect either. The rules are pretty much stacked against DBs these days, and some plays, some games any of the DB's can look bad.
    This.

Rat Starter
    House is, through and through, a poor man's Al Harris. The Packers would be better off spending money on a guy like Cobb than resigning House to a $6 M/yr deal.

But if a guy like Daniel Snyder comes knocking and signs House to a deal worth that much, great, more power to the players. Fat cats have been exploiting players for far too long.

Poor man's Al Harris not worth 6 mil? I think House is gonna get 5-6 easily right now. He continues having a good season and who knows how high he could go.

Rat Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    Poor man's Al Harris not worth 6 mil? I think House is gonna get 5-6 easily right now. He continues having a good season and who knows how high he could go.
    Guess we'll find out in the next free agency period (also a time when Ted Thompson goes on vacation)

I'd be willing to bet 10 fishing bucks House gets $2-3 M/yr at most. House, imho, is not a lockdown corner, not a shutdown corner, is too inconsistent, has durability issues and now he's getting picked on by the zebras.

House is, through and through, a poor man's Al Harris. The Packers would be better off spending money on a guy like Cobb than resigning House to a $6 M/yr deal.

But if a guy like Daniel Snyder comes knocking and signs House to a deal worth that much, great, more power to the players. Fat cats have been exploiting players for far too long.
    I don't expect the Packers to pay House that kind of money, and maybe no one will; but it won't surprise me at all if someone does, assuming House doesn't melt down in the 2nd half of the season. I don't see Sam Shields as a $10M CB either, but sometimes a team has to pay a player more than they would like to just to fill a need that can be a gaping hole without the player. My main point is that the salary cap is getting to a level that an everyday player can make a lot of money, even without being of all pro caliber. House can easily be one of those players. A $5-6M contract isn't all that big when the cap approaches a level that will pay players an average of $2.5-3M/player, especially when the typical teams has half it's players at about a million or less.

The Packers will have a tough decision this off season between House and Williams. They can't pay both. Williams isn't getting any younger, but seems to be playing better than two years ago.

I don't expect the Packers to pay House that kind of money, and maybe no one will; but it won't surprise me at all if someone does, assuming House doesn't melt down in the 2nd half of the season. I don't see Sam Shields as a $10M CB either, but sometimes a team has to pay a player more than they would like to just to fill a need that can be a gaping hole without the player. My main point is that the salary cap is getting to a level that an everyday player can make a lot of money, even without being of all pro caliber. House can easily be one of those players. A $5-6M contract isn't all that big when the cap approaches a level that will pay players an average of $2.5-3M/player, especially when the typical teams has half it's players at about a million or less.

The Packers will have a tough decision this off season between House and Williams. They can't pay both. Williams isn't getting any younger, but seems to be playing better than two years ago.
    I'd pass the torch. House should be cheaper, and with the way the Packers draft/develop CBs they should be fine there.

Save that money for Cobb and/or a rare FA acquisition (though this looks like a rare draft class).

Quote Originally Posted by Striker View Post
    I'd pass the torch. House should be cheaper, and with the way the Packers draft/develop CBs they should be fine there.

Save that money for Cobb and/or a rare FA acquisition (though this looks like a rare draft class).
    It might be time for that.

Blog Entries
    Guess we'll find out in the next free agency period (also a time when Ted Thompson goes on vacation)

I'd be willing to bet 10 fishing bucks House gets $2-3 M/yr at most. House, imho, is not a lockdown corner, not a shutdown corner, is too inconsistent, has durability issues and now he's getting picked on by the zebras.
    Pretty good at spotting those shutdown corners, are ya?