Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
We definitely need upgrades at both ILB positions, but of course 1265 doesn't agree.

I reluctantly signed off on the Hawk pick b/c I figured he at least wouldn't be a bust, but he's underperformed even what I expected. Most Packerrats expected he'd be a probowler, but I just didn't see it. He had great stats in college, but when I watched him in college he didn't look dynamic at all. He garbaged into sacks, and he looked average in every way to me - he's proven to be just that as a pro.

I wanted Vernon Davis or Ngata in that draft as I remember, and both have been much better than Hawk. Hawk hasn't been a bust per se, but you need to get more out of a #5 pick. Hopefully both he and Brad Jones will be gone next year, and we can start over at ILB.

Uh, even morose McGinn understands that the Packer execs know an upgrade at ILB is needed - both Shazier and Mosely are mentioned in the article. Your insistence that somehow the Packer front office walks around saying "yeah, we're happy to be mediocre on defense" is not only preposterous but takes away from some of the decent points you try to make.

I think the front office understands Hawk's value and his limitations, and I don't think if they had a chance they'd somehow pass on the opportunity to put a better player than he is in that spot. They've been spending their draft resources on other areas, though sadly the last few first rounders have not played up to what I'd consider a first-round status.

But any knucklehead could write an article lamenting a weak position on a football team, and point out examples of players from other teams that are way better.

But every team's resources are limited, so it's really not very helpful to say that the Packers, or any team, shoulda coulda got these other players. Sure, but if they'd, say, traded up to get Shazier or Mosely, there'd be no Clinton-Dix.

No, the Packer inside linebackers aren't very good. But I highly doubt that the Packer front office is content and happy and wouldn't want anyone else.