Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: McGinn: Hawk, Epitome of Mediocrity

Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    ILB isn't the only mediocre position. Clay is often injured, over rated, and over payed. That reeks of mediocrity, just with prettier hair.
    In fact, if the entire defense was mediocre like Matthews, it would be the most mediocre #1 defense in the League.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    In fact, if the entire defense was mediocre like Matthews, it would be the most mediocre #1 defense in the League.
    LOL!

BTW... Clay looked like he had more of his speed back last week after looking unusually slow for a month.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

So, everyone kept saying morgan burnett looked like shit because he had shit lined up next to him

Hawk also has a pile of shit lined up next to him

Would one decent ILB next to hawk actually make him look better?

If burnett only looked bad because "he has to cover for his partner", then isnt the same true for hawk and jones?

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    So, everyone kept saying morgan burnett looked like shit because he had shit lined up next to him

Hawk also has a pile of shit lined up next to him

Would one decent ILB next to hawk actually make him look better?

If burnett only looked bad because "he has to cover for his partner", then isnt the same true for hawk and jones?
    Yes, especially if it was a good match skills wise.

McGinn laughs at the notion of Hawk starting on a SB winning defense, but he was already on one obviously. Bishop probably wasn't the best skills match, but they made it work that year (2011 different story). It would also help if they were more sturdy up front. Woodson also helped.

But the baseline poor fit is that Hawk is being asked to play Buck ILB, which is usually taking on a Guard, and he doesn't shed well. He went from a weak side LB in a 4-3 to the plugger in a 3-4. He's not ideal there.

I don't believe the answers on floating around on the FA market often, but I have to think a Guard/run plugger at ILB to let Hawk run to the ball would be a relatively easy find. But they seem to be in no hurry to move him.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    LOL!

BTW... Clay looked like he had more of his speed back last week after looking unusually slow for a month.
    I suspect his groin was bothering him for a couple of weeks.

Here's Hawks rookie stats:

Games played:16
    Total tackles: 119
    Solo: 82
    Assists: 37
    Sacks: 3.5
    Passes defensed: 6
    Interceptions: 2
    So what happened? Maybe just a bad fit? Too big and too slow after bulking up after his rookie season?

Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post
    Here's Hawks rookie stats:

Games played:16
    Total tackles: 119
    Solo: 82
    Assists: 37
    Sacks: 3.5
    Passes defensed: 6
    Interceptions: 2
    So what happened? Maybe just a bad fit? Too big and too slow after bulking up after his rookie season?
    Like pb just said, he was playing another position back then with a totally different role

He was in the playmaker role back then, now hes doing the dirty work

Can we upgrade Hawk as a player? Sure. He's not a playmaker...he's pedestrian as an athlete on an NFL field. However, Hawk is highly respected in the locker room and is almost like having a coach on the field. He is constantly directing players where to go and has been getting them in the right spot more often than not this year. So, if you bring in a guy who is a better player...but who is unable to direct those around him to get the defense set up correctly...have you really improved anything?

To me, writing about upgrading Hawk is a bottom of the barrel article for a guy like McGinn. Fans have been saying this shit for YEARS. However, there are a few other positions on the team where an upgrade would have more of an impact. Look at the impact Ha Ha has made on this defense. Was McGinn touting that upgrade anywhere? To me, that was FAR more important than fixing the Hawk situation.

IMO, Bob McGinn's writing at this point is more mediocre than AJ Hawk.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

"Like a coach on the field" makes me think of Fat Mike out there, his cheeks bulging out of his helmet as a running back whizzes by.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Rat Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by channtheman View Post
    I've actually seen plays where Hawk was going to be right where the RB is and instead of breaking down and attacking the RB he dove at the lineman's knees that was supposed to block him and took himself out of the play. Time and time again, I've seen Hawk take on a blocker like he was on offense. It's like he doesn't understand that he is supposed to shed the block and tackle the RB.
    Saw plenty of that against the Saints.

Hawk sucks motherfucking balls and bigot dicks. He needs to take his lame ass back to Ohio and fuck up that fucking state like he's fucking up the Packers!!!!

I am fucking pissed!!!

gashed up the middle again. he's part of the problem but by no means is he the whole problem. got to concentrate on d line, mlb, and o line, next draft.

Rat Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    gashed up the middle again. he's part of the problem but by no means is he the whole problem. got to concentrate on d line, mlb, and o line, next draft.
    They ran at Hawk all day. Hawk was more worthless than Brad Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    I reluctantly signed off on the Hawk pick b/c I figured he at least wouldn't be a bust
    I'm just glad they asked for your opinion.

Hawk Is not going anywhere this season or next so bitching about him isn't going to accelerate his departure. We have NO inside backers. Zero. They all suck. Do you think TT is going to suddenly find two high quality starters in one offseason? Not a chance. Hawk is way more valuable than Lattimore, Barrington, and Bradford. So the goal is going to be to replace that bunch before Hawk. Hawk has one more year left on his deal after this season and then hes gone. Ideally we find a great player someone this offseason to play next to Hawk in 2015 and then hope to get lucky with at least a decent player the year after that.
    Draft Brandin Cooks WR OSU!

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post
    Can we upgrade Hawk as a player? Sure. He's not a playmaker...he's pedestrian as an athlete on an NFL field. However, Hawk is highly respected in the locker room and is almost like having a coach on the field. He is constantly directing players where to go and has been getting them in the right spot more often than not this year. So, if you bring in a guy who is a better player...but who is unable to direct those around him to get the defense set up correctly...have you really improved anything?

To me, writing about upgrading Hawk is a bottom of the barrel article for a guy like McGinn. Fans have been saying this shit for YEARS. However, there are a few other positions on the team where an upgrade would have more of an impact. Look at the impact Ha Ha has made on this defense. Was McGinn touting that upgrade anywhere? To me, that was FAR more important than fixing the Hawk situation.

IMO, Bob McGinn's writing at this point is more mediocre than AJ Hawk.
    I used to buy into the argument that Hawk is like a coach out there, but not any more. If he's lining guys up in the right spots, why is the run defense such garbage? Is it that everyone else sucks at stopping the run? I just don't think Hawk is as cerebral as he is given credit for. Sure he's a leader in the locker room, and rarely gets hurt but on the field he's just not making a difference in any aspect that I can see.

Quote Originally Posted by PaCkFan_n_MD View Post
    Hawk Is not going anywhere this season or next so bitching about him isn't going to accelerate his departure. We have NO inside backers. Zero. They all suck. Do you think TT is going to suddenly find two high quality starters in one offseason? Not a chance. Hawk is way more valuable than Lattimore, Barrington, and Bradford. So the goal is going to be to replace that bunch before Hawk. Hawk has one more year left on his deal after this season and then hes gone. Ideally we find a great player someone this offseason to play next to Hawk in 2015 and then hope to get lucky with at least a decent player the year after that.
    This is the reality. I'd like the Pack to get a new ILB high in this next draft but that position isn't that strong in the upcoming draft. There's guys that will be available in the late 1st, early 2nd but no real studs. So it's easy to say to draft a replacement for Hawk, but it may not even be possible.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    I used to buy into the argument that Hawk is like a coach out there, but not any more. If he's lining guys up in the right spots, why is the run defense such garbage? Is it that everyone else sucks at stopping the run? I just don't think Hawk is as cerebral as he is given credit for. Sure he's a leader in the locker room, and rarely gets hurt but on the field he's just not making a difference in any aspect that I can see.

This is the reality. I'd like the Pack to get a new ILB high in this next draft but that position isn't that strong in the upcoming draft. There's guys that will be available in the late 1st, early 2nd but no real studs. So it's easy to say to draft a replacement for Hawk, but it may not even be possible.
    You can get lucky. Doesn't always have to be a high pick. Bowman was a 3rd rounder (DPoY), Wagner was a 2nd, KJ wright was a 4th, Lavonte David was a 2nd, Alonzo (solid rookie year before getting hurt) was a 2nd, Sean Lee was a 2nd, etc etc. Heck even our own Bishop was a 6th. You just have to find them.

The run defense sucked last night not because of Hawk, but in addition to Hawk.

HHC-D too-often looked like a rookie safety still needing to learn how to tackle NFL running backs in the open (which, of course, he is).
    The other DBs also had their embarrassing moments as well.
    LBs other than Hawk were no where to be seen near the line of scrimmage, and when seen they were carried for 2-5 yards before getting Ingram down.
    The D-line was not stacking things up, or being disruptive to blocking patterns. Either would have helped.

Hawk may have been awful in run D last night, but so was everyone else at one time or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    The run defense sucked last night not because of Hawk, but in addition to Hawk.

HHC-D too-often looked like a rookie safety still needing to learn how to tackle NFL running backs in the open (which, of course, he is).
    The other DBs also had their embarrassing moments as well.
    LBs other than Hawk were no where to be seen near the line of scrimmage, and when seen they were carried for 2-5 yards before getting Ingram down.
    The D-line was not stacking things up, or being disruptive to blocking patterns. Either would have helped.

Hawk may have been awful in run D last night, but so was everyone else at one time or another.
    I love HHCD. Say what you will about his missed tackles, but his aggressiveness is fun to watch. As he develops in year two and three he has potential to be a probowler. I think TT hit on him.

I love HHCD. Say what you will about his missed tackles, but his aggressiveness is fun to watch. As he develops in year two and three he has potential to be a probowler. I think TT hit on him.
    I like him too, but he was the problem on run D for several plays last night. Not surprising, being a rookie and all; but the problem on those plays nonetheless.

You can get lucky. Doesn't always have to be a high pick. Bowman was a 3rd rounder (DPoY), Wagner was a 2nd, KJ wright was a 4th, Lavonte David was a 2nd, Alonzo (solid rookie year before getting hurt) was a 2nd, Sean Lee was a 2nd, etc etc. Heck even our own Bishop was a 6th. You just have to find them.
    Most of those guys are guys I was high on and wanted TT to draft - instead he passes on them for players at other positions.

He took Hawk at #5 all those years ago, but other than that he hasn't invested much of anything at the ILB position his entire time here.

To be sure, the Packers brain trust has a peculiar approach to how they view their front seven; and it's been that way for many, many years... don't know where it comes from, but it seems to be an institutional thing.
    wist