Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: McGinn: Hawk, Epitome of Mediocrity

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    Most of those guys are guys I was high on and wanted TT to draft - instead he passes on them for players at other positions.

He took Hawk at #5 all those years ago, but other than that he hasn't invested much of anything at the ILB position his entire time here.

To be sure, the Packers brain trust has a peculiar approach to how they view their front seven; and it's been that way for many, many years... don't know where it comes from, but it seems to be an institutional thing.
    And they didnt invest in an ILB back then either. They invested the #5 pick in a 4-3 weakside LB

Players available if picking 32nd in every round from 2010 to 2012. Fun to think about...all these guys were actually there lol. I know its impossible to do but still fun.

2010:
    1st: Rob Gronkowski
    2nd: NaVorro Bowman
    3rd: Geno Atkins
    4th: Kam Chancellor
    5th: Antonio Brown

2010 was loaded with talent.

2011:
    1st: Randall Cobb
    2nd: Justin Houston
    3rd: Jordan Cameron
    4th: Richard Sherman
    5th: Bryon Maxwell

2012:
    1st: Bobby Wagner
    2nd: Casey Hayward
    3rd: Mike Daniels
    4th:Jeremy Lane
    5th: Alfred Morris
    Draft Brandin Cooks WR OSU!

Yeck 2013 picking 32nd in each round:

1st: Darius Slay
    2nd: Terron Armstead
    3rd: David Bahkitari
    4rd: Kenny Stills
    5th: Andre Ellington
    Draft Brandin Cooks WR OSU!

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    I'm just glad they asked for your opinion.
    Sand in your vagina??
    wist

Hawk may bring leadership/vet appeal and communication. But I've been saying for a long time here that he's a soft pillow for opponents to land on. There are way too many plays where he takes a bad angle and his coverage is poor at best.

If they found the magic pony of leadership and upgraded athleticism - I think the brass would've done so by now.

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    Sand in your vagina??
    Head too large to use doors?

I'm outta here, I'm sick of you bastard people

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Uh, even morose McGinn understands that the Packer execs know an upgrade at ILB is needed - both Shazier and Mosely are mentioned in the article. Your insistence that somehow the Packer front office walks around saying "yeah, we're happy to be mediocre on defense" is not only preposterous but takes away from some of the decent points you try to make.

I think the front office understands Hawk's value and his limitations, and I don't think if they had a chance they'd somehow pass on the opportunity to put a better player than he is in that spot. They've been spending their draft resources on other areas, though sadly the last few first rounders have not played up to what I'd consider a first-round status.

But any knucklehead could write an article lamenting a weak position on a football team, and point out examples of players from other teams that are way better.

But every team's resources are limited, so it's really not very helpful to say that the Packers, or any team, shoulda coulda got these other players. Sure, but if they'd, say, traded up to get Shazier or Mosely, there'd be no Clinton-Dix.

No, the Packer inside linebackers aren't very good. But I highly doubt that the Packer front office is content and happy and wouldn't want anyone else.
    I think the front office never tries to outspend what turn out to be mistakes, meaning, if they sign a guy to an extension and he doesn't grade out to the level they are paying him, they don't just kick him to the curb and bring in a free agent like some teams do. Like it or not, TT is never going to swing for the fence on free agent signings because I think he views one of his core jobs as GM is to keep the salary cap situation healthy and flexible. That said, I agree with Fritz that they know it's time to move on from what they have, and they'll do that in their deliberate, non-splashy, player development way. They are probably still wondering if Sam Barrington has the goods to take over, instead of some teams who might spend a boat load on a FA ILB.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    Or how bout "gasp" trading one of our precious draft picks for one

Im sure one of our 2 3rd round picks we threw away in the last draft could have been swungfor an upgrade
    I know you were a hater but Chris Borland hasn't looked bad. 18 Tackles last week. Rock solid guy and great leader. Many of his Badger teammates called him last week to congratulate him on a great game....however...he misread a play that resulted in the final TD for the Rams...so he was very bummed out/unhappy about his performance. Nice interviews on ESPN 1070 in Madison
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    I know you were a hater but Chris Borland hasn't looked bad. 18 Tackles last week. Rock solid guy and great leader. Many of his Badger teammates called him last week to congratulate him on a great game....however...he misread a play that resulted in the final TD for the Rams...so he was very bummed out/unhappy about his performance. Nice interviews on ESPN 1070 in Madison
    On this board, he would have been ripped from one side to the other for that performance. For most on here, it doesn't seem to matter how much you do right, only what you do wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    I wasnt a hater dick head

Was I?

I knew we needed to draft a new ILB and i didnt reall care who it was

I thought i liked borland. But who the hell can remember that far back?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    I wasnt a hater dick head

Was I?

I knew we needed to draft a new ILB and i didnt reall care who it was

I thought i liked borland. But who the hell can remember that far back?

...my apologies if you were not..but I think you bought into the silly anti Borland hatred that was pushed on here.

I remember the draft day theade when several thought it was great SF took him so we didn't. I swear you were in that gang. Maybe I'm wrong.

I just remember I was in the extreme minority in thinking he'd be a player. Everybody else just went to the measurable.....just like the college scouts who never offered him a scholarship
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    On this board, he would have been ripped from one side to the other for that performance. For most on here, it doesn't seem to matter how much you do right, only what you do wrong.

I listed to the Badger beat reporter who spoke with Borland. Borland had a great game one one bad fuck up. The fact that he was down on himself after that games says load about his expectations for himself. To all the Borland hater I never argued he'd be a superstar.....just a solid smash mouth football player that I'd welcome over Just a Jag Jones. I'd take him in Green Bay any day

I didn't have much of an opinion on Borland coming in, but I figured Ted wasn't going to go for him based on his measurables. He tried a short, slow ILB with the kid out of App State, whose name escapes me ATM. Ted wasn't going to go that way again.

My concern with Borland was his injuries. Three shoulder operations on a linebacker known as a big hitter have to be a concern. One article said at least one team dropped him off their board due to their belief that he already needed another shoulder operation, something about a screw that has moved out of place in his shoulder.

I looked at Borland's shoulders and Abbredaris' concussions in the same way. Just too much history with a recurring injury that seems likely to happen again.

Borland had a great game today, too. I will admit I was very wrong about him. I did not seem him being an effective NFL player at 5'10".