Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: More Banjo: @ Saints Week Oh Who the *$%&! Cares

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    Exactly. One reason I think TT and MM don't like to bring in FA's is that there system is so damn cerebral and complicated. They like young guys who grew up in the system rather than old dogs who maybe won't learn new tricks fast enough. That strategy might be sound if the young guys drafted are really good, but if they are mediocre, then it falls apart.
    Interesting point. Usually the vet case is made that the Packers (and esp. Capers) needs vets because of their usual callow and inexperienced yutes. In fact, Le Beau doesn't want young players to have to play in Pitts D.

But I don't think Peppers has exhibited too many problems with his learning curve. I think the issue is mainly finance, risk and downside of careers with FAs. I doubt the Packers system is too complicated that it hampers FAs.

But perhaps the best point is the run D problem itself. Run D is keeping your defense in shape and on target (gap integrity). There are fewer lessens more basic than that in football but somehow the Packers need to relearn it every season. If Capers was being too complicated, it would show up more easily in the backfield.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    I dont know how much of an impact the injury really had.

To me, momentum had been lost and it had become a dog fight after the cutsie play with peppers followed by tue idiot onsides kick

We looked unstopable like last week before those two plays, and inept the rest of the game

I think we underestimated the saints, came out screwing around, and we werent prepaired to play the real football game that broke out
    I agree, why do you come out and dig into your bag of tricks at the time they did? Packers were the better team, but MM called the game like they couldn't beat them mano on mano. I had a very bad feeling after the onside kick. How bout you just line up and take it to them, instead of gimmicks.

Soooooooo...... Fire McCarthy???????????

Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post
    Soooooooo...... Fire McCarthy???????????
    Nah, too much success for that. You can do so much worse than him.
    You stick with him and encourage him to self-evaluate and evolve.
    Last edited by Patler; 10-31-2014 at 11:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Interesting point. Usually the vet case is made that the Packers (and esp. Capers) needs vets because of their usual callow and inexperienced yutes. In fact, Le Beau doesn't want young players to have to play in Pitts D.

But I don't think Peppers has exhibited too many problems with his learning curve. I think the issue is mainly finance, risk and downside of careers with FAs. I doubt the Packers system is too complicated that it hampers FAs.

But perhaps the best point is the run D problem itself. Run D is keeping your defense in shape and on target (gap integrity). There are fewer lessens more basic than that in football but somehow the Packers need to relearn it every season. If Capers was being too complicated, it would show up more easily in the backfield.

This is what's so maddening. Every year, the defensive players and coahces and MM talk about needing to to re-teach lower pad level and proper tackling form.

This past year, MM finally admitted something else needed to be done. So there was that whole confusing (for me) scheme-and-personnel song and dance, but here we are, half way through, and what's MM saying about this still-lousy defense? They need to tackle better.

Every year, the defense is the weak link, and ST is not far behind. Ted's 2012 defensive draft was mostly a bust, and Perry hasn't been much of a first rounder. So some blame to Ted, for sure. He seems to have a hard time drafting well on the defensive line and, outside of Matthews, in the linebacking corps.

But MM is the lead coach, and as others have said, he's on defensive coach #2, and it's been bad for about three-and-a-half seasons now, with some minor small stretches of good defense (a few games at the beginning of last season).

But it's not, and has not been since 2010, a defense that is going to get you past the first round, unless your first round opponent's QB is Joe Webb.

Something more than "we gotta tackle better" has to happen at the end of this season. Whether it's MM re-evaluating how his program can produce such good offenses and shitty defenses, or whether he shit-cans Capers and company, I don't know. But something's gotta happen, unless there's a magical second-half turnaround.

But even the most optimistic Packer fans have to be pretty dubious about that happening.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Nah, too much success for that. You can do so much worse than him.
    You stick with him and encourage him to self-evaluate and evolve.
    And he does change. I take the lessening of Packer hamstring as a direct sign that some of the changes have helped. I would bet its the sports science guy, but we'll see.

He did add half line drills and is not afraid to alter what worked previously (schedule) to make it work better.

The only thing lacking here is the germ of an idea of what the D staff needs to get it turned around. M3 already went at it from the multiple personnel angle. But I think practice is where its at. They might have to go get ideas from outside again.

But there is also player personnel. Maxie is right, there might only be one or two budding superstars on this team (Matthews and Dix). Otherwise, the rest of the first and second rounders have been decent role players at best. Maybe Burnett at his best. I am disappointed that self appointed leading loud-mouth Daniels hasn't had a better year.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I agree with your assessment of Daniels, too. All bark, very little bite. He is what he is, perhaps - a high-energy guy with limited upside. Put him in Jerel Worthy's body, maybe. But Daniels is not a top-of-the-line starter. He's a JAG, to me.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack