Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: heroes and goats

heroes and goats

stud: Lacy

dud: Lane Taylor

I was thinking of giving TT a dud for having backups of Sherrod, Taylor and Gerhardt. But then I thought about Linsley and decided to spare Ted.

You are forgetting Barclay. We have solid depth until Barclay and Tretter went down.
    Draft Brandin Cooks WR OSU!

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    stud: Lacy

dud: Lane Taylor

I was thinking of giving TT a dud for having backups of Sherrod, Taylor and Gerhardt. But then I thought about Linsley and decided to spare Ted.
    In fairness to him, I think Barclay was the plan for a backup at both tackle and guard.

Senior Rat All-Pro oldbutnotdeadyet's Avatar
    Stud: Lady Luck for giving us two very good maybe great quarterbacks in a row, which has kept the hope alive for more super bowls.

Dud: Lady luck for not giving us the supporting cast to take advantage of Rogers, which may mean no more super bowls in my lifetime.

Life sucks and then you die...

Studs: none

duds: Stubby and dunderdummy.
    wist

Studs: MM, Rodgers, Lacy, Cobb, Sitton, Linsley, Bakh (minus few penalties) and HHCD. Would add Peppers if he didn't drop that TD. I liked MM aggressiveness with the 4th and 1 and the onside kick.

Duds: Capers, Bulaga, Taylor, Daniels, Boyd, Hawk, Lattimore, Barrington, Jones, Matthews, Hyde, Williams, House, Perry, and Neal.
    Draft Brandin Cooks WR OSU!

Studs - Lacy, Cobb
    Duds - Lane Taylor and the OT's, Quarless, Peppers as a TE, the run D, House, tackling by the secondary
    Go PACK

As for thread title:

So, so you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain.
    Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
    A smile from a veil?
    Do you think you can tell?

Did they get you to trade your heroes for goats?
    Hot ashes for trees?
    Hot air for a cool breeze?
    Cold comfort for change?
    Did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?

How I wish, how I wish you were here.
    We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year,
    Running over the same old ground.
    What have we found?
    The same old fears.
    Wish you were here.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Heros for ghosts

Smh

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    Heros for ghosts

Smh
    Not in this thread.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Ill mention tramon again. His inability to jump was exposed last week. The saints paid attention and took advantage of that 2 or 3 times that i saw last night.

Bigger wrs dont even need to jump with him on them

Quote Originally Posted by PaCkFan_n_MD View Post
    You are forgetting Barclay. We have solid depth until Barclay and Tretter went down.
    I don't blame TT for thinking that Sherrod would at least be an average player who could fill in.

Our offensive line depth is terrible, but it is an act of God. If I were MM, I would give Tretter snaps at tackle or guard each and every game.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Wish you were here.
    Wish I was back in the dorms

Actually the dorm sucked and lead to unhealthy lifestyle choices like endless bagels and cream cheese.
    I think "Dark Side of the Moon" was only Pink Floyd I endulged in, and lava lamps were already corny.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    Studs: none

duds: Stubby and dunderdummy.
    I totally agree with this.

Start with Capers... Reportedly, Capers game plans to stop either the run or the pass, depending upon the opponent. This game, the defense stopped neither the run nor the pass. Mark Ingram rushed for 172 yards, for crying out loud. You can't beat a team with an elite QB by letting them rush for those kind of numbers.

As the game went on, the rush defense got worse. No adjustments at halftime on the defense. If there were some, they failed.

Capers didn't fool Payton and Brees. The Packers' pass rush was negated by quick throws to the middle and the judicious use of screen passes. In the second half, when Brees got Jimmy Graham involved, the Packers had no answer and it was game over.

As bad as Capers performed, Stubby was worse...

The Packers' offense started fast, but instead of playing to their strengths, McCarthy got cute. The pass to Peppers was a joke. You've got two of the top WR in the league, a sure-handed rookie, and Quarless who caught the same pass two weeks earlier to win the game against the Dolphins. Instead, Rodgers throws a bullet to an elephant LB. I'm assuming Stubby made the call. I'm assuming they spent valuable game-prep time practicing it. My only question is: Why?

Then, for some unknown reason, Stubby decides to get cute with an onsides kick, giving Brees the ball in Packer territory. Again, why? You're 3 points yup. The offense is moving the ball. It's early. Why?

Some say Stubby was just being aggressive. I disagree. It was a foolish risk, with an improbably upside, for what? To demoralize Brees?

And if Stubby is such an aggressive, risk-happy coach, consider the 4th and 1 call: a fairly pedestrian -- and predictable -- Lacy carry. If McCarthy was a risk-taker, why not fling a pass downfield on that play, with the defense up?

The week before, when Payton, Brees and Company took a licking, they took inventory of themselves. Each player looked within himself and took responsibility. They vowed to turn their game around...and did.

Let's hope Stubby, Capers and company do the same. This team is not as good as they thought they were.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Rat Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post

The Packers' offense started fast, but instead of playing to their strengths, McCarthy got cute. The pass to Peppers was a joke. You've got two of the top WR in the league, a sure-handed rookie, and Quarless who caught the same pass two weeks earlier to win the game against the Dolphins. Instead, Rodgers throws a bullet to an elephant LB. I'm assuming Stubby made the call. I'm assuming they spent valuable game-prep time practicing it. My only question is: Why?

Then, for some unknown reason, Stubby decides to get cute with an onsides kick, giving Brees the ball in Packer territory. Again, why? You're 3 points yup. The offense is moving the ball. It's early. Why?

Some say Stubby was just being aggressive. I disagree. It was a foolish risk, with an improbably upside, for what? To demoralize Brees?
    I thought the Peppers play was clever. McCarthy rarely shows any creativity, as he is a dull moor, so its nice to see a clever play out of him other than the "Raji fullback gut freezer X."

The D couldn't stop Brees or that no name RB. Shoulda onsided after every score. Woulda prevented the Saints O from milking too much of the clock.

Quote Originally Posted by PaCkFan_n_MD View Post
    Thankfully Tretter will be back after the bye.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    Ill mention tramon again. His inability to jump was exposed last week. The saints paid attention and took advantage of that 2 or 3 times that i saw last night.

Bigger wrs dont even need to jump with him on them
    I don't think Tramon is 100% yet and Brees picked on House mercilessly.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion Lannister View Post
    I thought the Peppers play was clever. McCarthy rarely shows any creativity, as he is a dull moor, so its nice to see a clever play out of him other than the "Raji fullback gut freezer X."

The D couldn't stop Brees or that no name RB. Shoulda onsided after every score. Woulda prevented the Saints O from milking too much of the clock.
    That pass to Peppers was executed perfectly except Julius dropped it. Not many D's stop Brees unless they can rush the passer and we failed at that last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post

Start with Capers... Reportedly, Capers game plans to stop either the run or the pass, depending upon the opponent. This game, the defense stopped neither the run nor the pass. Mark Ingram rushed for 172 yards, for crying out loud. You can't beat a team with an elite QB by letting them rush for those kind of numbers.
    They came out after halftime in single high safety to stop Ingram. The result was Graham going off and then the deep game got involved. So there were adjustments and they made the situation worse. What defensive alignment would you suggest that Capers deploy instead?

All you suggest is for Capers, against one of the five best QB and one of the 3 best passing attacks to focus on the run. That approach allowed NO to score 30 points in a half. I prefer letting Ingram rush for 100 in a half and allow 16 points total because they had trouble getting into the end zone from the red zone as well.

How about this instead? The only Packer defenders who get clear off blocks on a regular basis are Peppers and Matthews. Add in the deep safety and that is three guys free to make a correct form tackle. The deep safety is usually a rookie.

Eight other guys are in the process of being tied into knots by their blocker and cannot disengage. Some never get loose, some get one hand free, some dive at the ground trying to bury the block or trip the ball carrier. But guess what those 8 guys look like when they try to tackle? They look like players who cannot employ fundamentals to make a tackle. McCarthy mentioned this today in his presser.

But I don't think its tackling fundamentals. Its defeating the blocker across from you and disengaging at the correct moment. That had been happening in the previous 4 games, it didn't last night.

The question isn't whether Capers is dumb or the scapegoat for his game plan. Do the Packers have the players who can play a scheme he can coach? After that one game, it looks again like a colossal mismatch. And it has seemed that way whenever they meet a team they cannot turn into a one dimensional opponent.

The DC will always take the fall, but the brain trust has to figure out how to match the players to a coach's scheme. It hasn't happened since they had Collins, Woodson and Matthews at his peak health.

The other alternative is that the Asstants on D cannot coach how to defeat a block. Its possible, but while there are some thin coaching pedigrees on the offense, the D has some guys who have had major success before. Results don't match though.

The worst failing on defense beside tackling was pass rush. It disappeared in the second half. Despite Peppers, its still way too intermittent to protect the backend.
    Last edited by pbmax; 10-27-2014 at 07:48 PM.